Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wonder Woman

She was inspirational and it was fun to watch. It didn't break new ground or anything, but I have no regrets paying to see it.

4 Tonberries out of 5

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Great movie. Cool to see women kicking ass. Diana was a beast. This movie is basically Captain America and Thor origins rolled into one.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Me and Formy saw it yesterday, really enjoyed it. It was an excellent superhero film. My only real criticism is that Doctor Maru was a wasted opportunity: it felt like there was an interesting backstory that was just about to be revealed, but it never happened.

I took my dad to see it to celebrate Father's Day (we both had work on the day itself). Thoroughly enjoyed it. Themes, characters, designs, action, atmosphere... All great. Not really a lot to complain a lot. Maybe it wasn't "ground breaking", but then, I don't think it has to be in order to be a really good film.

The biggest complaint that stood out while watching was that during the early fight scenes, I did think that there was way too much slow motion. Pausing to show a slow-mo clip of the action, then resuming at full speed only to pause again less than five seconds later is ridiculous. And there was one point where they did this three times in a row.

And, like Mr. Carny, I felt that Dr. Maru was incredibly under-utilized. And, given that they appear to be shifting from WW1 to the modern age going forward, I don't really think it was done intentionally to try to bring her back or anything.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    The biggest complaint that stood out while watching was that during the early fight scenes, I did think that there was way too much slow motion. Pausing to show a slow-mo clip of the action, then resuming at full speed only to pause again less than five seconds later is ridiculous. And there was one point where they did this three times in a row.
    Yeah, if there was one glaring flaw in the movie it was this. It seemed to get less frequent later on but in that first big fight on the beach the movie was really suffering from 300 Disease.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved it and cried a bunch. And that definitely wasn't something I expected. I just saw all those badass women kicking ass and just burst into tears.

My only complaint was that I actually wish they had pushed it further and not been so safe with the whole female empowerment thing. How does it not upset Diana that women are almost completely devoid of power in this world? She walks into a meeting of all men and doesn't seem to think this gender disparity is odd at all. There's a throwaway line about women not even having a vote in this society and Diana doesn't even look perturbed. And I also wish she had mentioned that marriage IS a thing where she comes from, it's just between women. I didn't like how they framed it like marriage was specifically a male/female thing.

Aside from wanting a more hardcore feminist message, I thought Diana was so wonderfully strong and heroic and good and I loved her. And I loved Chris Pine in his role too. The plot kinda got disjointed and weird toward the end but I was engaged the whole time and it was such a fun ride. And literally just seeing women kicking ass is basically I want from all movies and tv shows these days. The scene on the beach at the start of the movie, that was EVERYTHING. smurf, I loved it so much.

You see the occasional badass female, but usually she's singular. Special. The chosen one. And Diana obviously fits that bill too and for most of the movie, it's her surrounded by men. The one exceptional woman. But at the start of the movie we get a bunch of scenes where it's a COLLECTIVE of women who are strong and warriors. A whole host of them. And that beach scene with the Germans invading and all these women working together, fighting together, defending each other to kill these smurfing men. When have we ever seen that before? Maaaybe the slayers activation in Buffy but those were newbie slayers and nothing like these hardcore battle warrior Amazons. It was such a shock to the system to SEE that and I was crying before I even understood why.

I'm so sad that as we move onto Justice League, it will again be Diana, the one female, surrounded by men. What would it be like if Justice League were a bunch of female super heroes with one dude? How awesome would that be?
    Last edited by Miriel; 06-27-2017 at 08:20 AM.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I'm so sad that as we move onto Justice League, it will again be Diana, the one female, surrounded by men. What would it be like if Justice League were a bunch of female super heroes with one dude? How awesome would that be?
    Well if it was Zack Snyder directing it there'd probably be a load of slow-mo close-ups of their bodies.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"