Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: E3 2017 | Official Discussion Thread

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post

I was initially confused about the SotC trailer. They have an HD remaster, but it's not a remake.

Then I realized that we're actually getting a full remake. I never knew I wanted something so badly before this.
    I'm split on the matter because I love me some SotC, but I still haven't even gotten around to the HD Remaster which was released only a few years ago. I still feel like it's a bit too soon for a remake, but it is Shadow of the Colossus. Man I still need to finish The Last Guardian.

It is times like these, I miss Bolivar coming in here to tell us how we're all crazy for not thinking that Sony slam dunked this E3. I mean, every major announcement was basically a franchise he loved.

Nintendo won E3.

Odyssey, Zelda DLC, Kirby, Pokemon, FE Warriors, Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid 3DS? Hell yeah.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll admit the new Xenoblade Trailer has me a bit more intrigued. The music alone was pretty nice but Mitsuda usually does a great job. The game's story has a Tales of Destiny vibe to it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'll admit the new Xenoblade Trailer has me a bit more intrigued. The music alone was pretty nice but Mitsuda usually does a great job. The game's story has a Tales of Destiny vibe to it.
    It's ACE+ and Manami Kiyota tho

EDIT: Ah, wait, Mitsuda is in there too. THough the music sounded more Ace and Kiyota than anything. I bet he just wrote the ending song again

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Undertale for Vita was exciting to hear for me. I've been wanting to play that for a while and PC gaming has always been awkward for me.

Otherwise, agreed that Nintendo has won so far. Mario looks awesome, the new Kirby and Yoshi games are cute, and Metroid Prime 4 is intriguing.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Nintendo announced a bunch of games I don't care about

And I'll agree the SotC was a weird surprise. I'll probably get it, but I'm with everyone else on the fact that we don't need it. But depending on when it comes out (I forget if they said) I haven't gotten around to playing (or even getting) the HD ports of Ico/Colossus anyway, so it might be the better way to go when the time comes. I kinda wish they'd done it with Ico first though, as I'm more interested in replaying that game, but again, I can get it on the HD port

And I can't really knock them for doing it. They rebooted Spiderman 4 times, why not SotC? It seems to be a Sony mindset for some reason

And on a weird side note, people seem to be realizing that there is a massive difference between Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Game Studios, so Zenimax's tactic of having a shady publishing company named the same thing as a beloved games developer in order to obfuscate ridicule when they do something shady and ridiculous is starting to catch people's notice

Seen a couple of videos explaining that last time it was Game Studio, this time it was Softworks. And there is a noticeable difference between the two. I've always just called them out for being Zenimax corporation, but a lot of people didn't realize there are two Bethesdas and it made them feel weird when "Bethesda" did something awful in the gaming world

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    ... So they are just going to pretend that teaser with jade and peyj tuning a broken down car on the side of a desert road never happened
    A delayed thought on my part, but they're also apparently going to pretend that the first game didn't end with a cliffhanger.

So, as E3 winds down...

Who do you guys think had the best presentations? For me, it's Nintendo. A twenty five minute sizzle reel followed by even more strong reveals during the Treehouse stream (including both a Metroid II remake and Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, if not more that I couldn't see 'cause I was asleep) led to them generating the most hype for me going forward. Really solid presentations all the way through.

From what I've seen, it looks like Ubisoft was next in line after them (and, depending on what games you're looking for, could have been more hype-inducing), with Microsoft following and Sony bringing up the rear with a performance that a lot of people have described as just "meh".

But I'd love to see some other thoughts.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Nintendo gets my vote just for Metroid: Samus Returns

Nintendo never offers anything I like, so mostly I just watch random trailers afterwards to see if anything piques my interest. So I didn't watch any of their presentation, and can't really grade it. But other than that Skyblade's summary pretty much sums up my feelings. I'd probably feel better about Sony's if they had any indie games or if it wasn't just a rehash of last year's E3

Microsoft had both good presentation and made a couple of good arguments for me to get the console once and for all

And Ubisoft bringing out passionate developers getting teary-eyed is always a win. It endeared EA to us when the Unraveled developer took the stage and was all jittery, teary, and awkward and lovable

E3 Rankings: Nintendo > Sony = Ubisoft > MS > EA > Bethesda

Bethesda's conference was the worst because they're still milking Skyrim 6 years later, they introduced paid mods, and didn't offer much of anything new aside from Wolfenstein II. I don't have an interest in that series, so to me it didn't matter too much.

EA's conference was really dull. The only interesting game they showed off was Battlefront II, and I'm not interested enough to buy it. Anthem looks like a lot like Destiny, and I already enjoy Destiny a ton. Plus Destiny 2 is right around the corner, and that franchise already has a fantastic community. No point in picking Anthem over it.

MS's conference was actually pretty decent. They just didn't have any exclusives that sold me on the system. Everything is available on the PC. Also, the Xbox One X is over $600 after taxes here in Canada. Yikes.

For Sony...it was absolutely underwhelming compared to past conferences. The presentation was really bad, at least on Twitch. There was scuffed audio on the first two trailers alone, lag throughout the entire stream, and there was just terrible pacing throughout the conference. It could have really used some downtime instead of 30+ minutes of constant trailers that were really dull. Having said that...the actual content was pretty great. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy looks fantastic. Horizon DLC should be a day one purchase for anyone who enjoyed the game. God of War is incredible. Shadow of the Colossus is getting a TRUE remake. Tons of great things from Sony. The low of this presentation was Days Gone (which looks terribly uninspired and generic), and Spider-Man seems like an overdose of QTEs. Ultimately, I think people had horribly unrealistic expectations for this conference. The Last of Us II is a late 2018/2019 title, Kingdom Hearts 3 and FF7R are due out by 2020, Death Stranding is still a long ways out, and there aren't too many other big franchises out there.

Ubisoft's conference was actually decent. They didn't have a cringe host this year, and showed some genuine passion for their games. The dev team shedding getting emotional during the reveal of Mario + Rabbids really sold me on that game, which already looks incredibly unique and full of enthusiasm. Then they showed how much they cared about BG&E 2 with its huge reveal. I also have confidence in AC: Origins, and I love the South Park series. Overall, a VERY good showing from them. Arguably their best E3 ever.

Nintendo is the king of this E3. They built up a ton of excitement for the future with 2018 titles such as Kirby, Yoshi, and other HUGE announcements like a new core Pokemon game and Metroid Prime 4. They managed to generate so much surprise and excitement for the future, and that's without them even announcing new Retro Studios, Smash, Mario Party or Animal Crossing titles which are definitely coming to the Switch. On top of all that, they put out one of the best gaming trailers in years for Super Mario Odyssey. In a year that has already been stacked, Odyssey legitimately looks like Game of the Year material.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No one really "won it" for me this year. Part of the issue was simply that all the stuff I was really looking forward to came out fairly recently so there really wasn't anything in the pipeline from any studio that I was really looking forward to. Sony and Ubisoft had some major sequels going on, but I've either lost the passion for them (Assassin's Creed) or never cared to begin with (God of War) so while it was cool to see the franchises get love, neither impressed me enough to open up my wallet. Shadow of the Colossus was an interesting surprise, but I can't help but feel like it's a bit redundant.

Microsoft has also never really been my system so I simply skipped their conference. I am a bit sad I missed out on Nintendo's but it does look like they had a pretty strong year, which is good because they seriously need to make sure the Switch doesn't pull a Wii U. Unfortunately, I'm still not quite on board with the Switch so while it was cool to see the titles, they are things I'm probably not going to be playing any time soon after their release. So over all, it was kind of a meh year for me, but I kind of felt that was going to be the case going in.

Atlus just released their major title I was looking forward to, and while they promised a new SMT title for the Switch, I'm going to wait and see to make sure it doesn't become another Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei switch. I've resigned myself to the idea that after FFXII HD, there is going to be nothing coming out of Squenix for the foreseeable future that I'm going to bother spending money on.

Nintendo Won by bringing back our girl Samus imo.

Things I'm left looking forward to so far:

• Spider-Man PS4
    • Mario + Rabbids (kind of)
    • Breath of the Wild DLC
    • BotW Champion Amiibos
    • Super Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Prime 4
    • Goomba & Koopa Amiibos (still need to get Boo, too)
    • Assassin's Creed Origins

Too bad I work the next two days and will miss the additional Tree House events.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, nothing has grabbed me either. The KH trailer was nice, I guess, but nothing too mindblowing