Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Odyssey | Official Thread

Default Super Mario Odyssey | Official Thread

Release Date
    ----------------

WW: October 27, 2017

The newest installment in the 3D Mario series! Following in the steps of Super Mario 64 and Sunshine, it is the first Mario game to be released for the Nintendo Switch.

What are you most excited about?
    Last edited by Scruffington; 06-13-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

The less liner exploration like 64 and Sunshine alone with the A Link Between Worlds-esque 2D elements.

And it comes out a couple days after my birthday, which is nice.

This is one of the best gaming trailers I've ever seen. Thank you, Nintendo.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Super excited for it! It looks like tons of fun.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This looks fantastic. Must buy for me.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I also like that we're collecting moons instead of stars this time. It's too easy to amuse me.

Over a month later and I still get goosebumps whenever I listen to this theme. Odyssey is definitely going to be my favorite game this year.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Sonic Adventure 3 is looking gr8.

This is pretty much the greatest game of all time. I don't know how Nintendo managed to innovate so much, or create a game filled with so much joy. But they pulled it off.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Personally, I find a lot of the Moons really unsatisfying. In Mario 64, you took on each level in a mission, hunting down and finding one star, and then exiting to retry. It made each one feel really special and satisfying, even though some weren't hard to get.

In Odyssey, a lot of them are simply all over the place. You find them, and you move on and keep going. With neither a challenge, nor any sort of real punctuation to finding them, there is much less satisfaction to finding them.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm having lots of fun with the game. I don't mind the odd moons because it's fun to find them. I just like that Nintendo is continuing its trend of making cool worlds and letting the player just have fun an explore. The structure of the older 3D games is nice, but I'm glad that we're not on that tight of leash anymore. Just go! Have fun!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Loving this game so far. My kids love it too. There are more challenging moons to find that are more like the SM64 stars, but I like finding the random moons. My kids love to exclaim 'daddy there's a moon!' I also love how coins can actually be used to buy stuff and are not just for extra lives.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I've played about 20 minutes - it is undoubtedly excellent although I haven't had time to really get into it yet.

To be honest I've been completely taken aback by just how good the Switch is as a console and a concept. I spend most of my time at home at my PC; it's not as convenient to play on my consoles/TV as I would like. And I don't play my Vita or 3DS when I'm at my PC because I don't like hunching over to look at them when sat in an office chair - it's just not comfy. Enter: Nintendo Switch. I pop the screen behind my keyboard, detach the joy cons, lean back and play. And when I need to do PC work again I can switch over in an instant. The versatility it has is brilliant, and it just feels like a really nice bit of kit.

If only the charging port wasn't on the bottom of the screen it might've been perfect.

Odyssey has a bit of a Banjo-Kazooie feel and I absolutely love it for that. The costumes are fun and reminds me a bit of Tri Force Heroes, but it's a shame that they don't give Mario any unique abilities.

Also, the fact that many of the Kingdoms have up to 60+ stars, that just shows how well hidden a lot of them might be. I'll usually play each one until I'm exhausted my search for moons and purple coins.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just beat the game (not really saying much, there's a ton of post-game content). My thoughts are somewhere between Skyblade and Sephex. I never really grew up playing the 3D Mario games; I didn't get very far in Sunshine (maybe like, 25ish Shines?), and I SUCKED at Super Mario 64 DS. Nah, my jam was Banjo Kazooie and Jak and Daxter. I liked how seamless those games felt, but I also liked how every maguffin felt placed in its own special area; a level within a level as it were. Mario Odyssey has those, but just as many of them can be found right off the beaten path; it's a nice way to reward exploration, but it lacks the same feeling of catharsis other Moons might have.

With all that said, as a kid, I would've been thankful for those easy moons; it would only mean I could see more areas in the game I would otherwise lack the skills to unlock. As a kid I was always more keen on exploring areas than beating challenges, so I know the "easy moons" are making some people happy.
    Returners Represent!