Thread: What did you like the most about this game?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo What did you like the most about this game?

Simple question, what is is about this game that you liked. Even if you rank it in your bottom FFs, was there anything you really did enjoy about it?

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

What I like most about the game isn't specific the FFIV itself, but more the era. I like that its fairly straight forward. It has a bit of exploring, and a few sidequest areas such as the Cave of Summons, or the Abandoned Castle, but for the most part that's not what the game is about. Compared to FFX's plethora of sidequests or FFXV's open world the game is a treasure.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'll give you three things.
    1. Gameplay wise the World of Ruin is wonderful in the freedom it gives you and I genuinely feel hasn't been replicated in a main SP Final Fantasy up until XV.
    2. A large, diverse and enjoyable cast of characters, with even some of the lesser lights like Umaro and Gogo still being likeable or interesting enough.
    3. Gorgeous, and I mean smurfing gorgeous soundtrack.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like that IV actually has pretty much perfect pacing. The story may not be the most original or gripping thing out there, but damn, if it isn't well told. It all wraps itself nicely in a very concise package that is incredibly cohesive, compared to most of the rest of the series.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    1. Gameplay wise the World of Ruin is wonderful in the freedom it gives you and I genuinely feel hasn't been replicated in a main SP Final Fantasy up until XV.
    2. A large, diverse and enjoyable cast of characters, with even some of the lesser lights like Umaro and Gogo still being likeable or interesting enough.
    IV, not VI.

I have to mention the ATB system here.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    IV, not VI.
    IV, VI, same thing.

5 character party, baby! And on the subject of soundtracks, Kain's theme/betrayal does things to me. Wooph.

Also, Dwarves.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel like the original FFIV (not the DS version sadly) is that is has nearly perfect game balance. Like you can still break the game, but it seriously requires more effort than its worth. Part of this is because the game just perfectly balances stats, levels, and equipment in such a way where no one element has a more significant role than others.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I have total rose tinted glasses on, but this will probably always be my favorite game of all time. I loved many games before this one, but this was the first game to come along that had me deeply invested in the story and whatnot. Something I loved about Final Fantasy XV was all the banter between the guys while they were out and about. I was so into Final Fantasy IV that I let my imagination run wild and did try to envision what characters would say to each other during and in between battles. I still find myself doing that when I really get into the zone occasionally.

Anyway, I guess I just simply love this game...but if I had to choose something specific is the soundtrack. I'll agree that Uematsu got better after this game, but it is amazing how well done the soundtrack was back then. This was a very early SNES title, so developers were still trying to feel out the limitations of the console. You can tell that Uematsu was still used to writing shorter, more minimalist tracks thanks to the limitations of the NES. But there was still some tracks where you can hear Uematsu getting used to how beautiful the SNES can make his compositions sound, like the Four Fiend battle theme or "Within the Giant." It's the more subtle things that I have noticed over the years that still causes me to adore the soundtrack to this day.

The battle system may seem par for the course today, but it was pretty wild at the time to see a non action RPG move so quickly. While Final Fantasy and other old school RPGs like it may have streamlined a rough table top experience in video game form, the ATB system was like seeing a table top game move in fast forward while retaining a similar sense of strategy with heightened urgency. I actually love how in the original version of this game the player doesn't see ATB bars. While seeing the ATB bars does add a different level of planning and strategy, I like how FFIV makes you feel it out based on what you know about your characters stat wise. It also feels quicker to me since you just have to wait to see which character dings.

The game also generally reminds me of the favorite parts of my childhood. From many deeply personal memories to just fondly looking back on how the SNES completely enthralled me. If they still made new games on them today (and I mean new games not fan mods or rom hacks, as great as those can be) I would probably still happily buy them even if they still cost 60 to 80 dollars.

And that's your weirdly long, passionate post I occasionally make for no real reason of the day. Brought to you buy being up too late and...inspired.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The characters. I feel like it had a pretty strong cast

The characters and the music !

The characters, the music and the gameplay