Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel this game would have benefitted from having a smaller cast?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Do you feel this game would have benefitted from having a smaller cast?

VI has the largest playable cast in a numbered entry, and while some praise that mechanic, others feel its a detraction. Would you like to have dropped a few characters or keep it the same?

I feel most of the characters were pretty well fleshed out considering the size of the cast and the time it came out. They could have reduced the cast and expanded some stories, but it doesn't seem like it's needed to me.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

From a gameplay standpoint the biggest flaw is that once you have magic, there is no sizable difference between most characters. You even get three different "berserker" style characters with Mogs dances, Gau's rages, and Umaro Umaroness. The large cast would be greatly improved if they were kept more unique during the world of ruin part of the game, and you would use different character parties for different challenges. Like Celes would be vital for a boss who would use strong spells on you.

I also love the dungeons that involve multiple parties.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

No, I don't.

I feel it would've been better if they dropped a few characters. I feel like the character development was spread a bit thin. I prefer more tight-knit smaller casts.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I wouldn't have minded if they dropped a few characters, but I don't think doing so would have made the game stronger.

Cyan could have been taken out. I don't have the dislike for him a lot of others here seem to have, but he's not exactly a strong character either. His scenes would have remained just as relevant had he been an NPC.

Relm and Strago could have been taken out as well. Some would lament the loss of a blue mage, but honestly, it didn't add anything to the game. The scene in Thamasa could have played out without adding them to the party, and the Ultros scene would have just been focused on another character.

Gau could have remained a wild child in the veldt. Maybe they could have tacked it onto Terra's story, as another child she takes care of in Mobliz. That way the old man in the shack story would have been preserved.

I was tempted to put Mog on the list, but that would also mean no Umaro, and we can't have that.

I imagine if we had less cast theyd still give us the same amount of story for the others. So we'd just be screwing ourselves.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Looking back, I wish they would have taken the Final Fantasy II approach.

Cyan's story begins and ends when you get him at Doma. The game already had guest characters, such as the ghosts on the Phantom Train or General Leo. Having people pop in an out of your party when it was story relevant would have been alright.

I do like having the wide variety of characters to choose from, but it makes it take that much longer if you're the type of person who wants to teach all of your characters esper magic.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Idk, Chan also has his little conflict with Celes, and gets not one but two arcs in World of Ruin. I feel the game would suffer from him getting left behind.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I like Cyan, for what he does bring to the table. I'm just getting to the World of Ruin on my current playthrough now, and it's been a few years since my last, so I don't remember what happens. I'm looking forward to the arcs you mentioned.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

There were too many characters for me to be emotionally invested

I actually can't believe this is a serious question. I have played games with literally dozens more playable characters than FFVI. The cast is one of the best parts of one of the best RPGs ever made.

theundeadheroracters has a good point, dropping a few characters wouldn't make VI a better game (how could it be better when it's already perfect? well, except for the 8 bit graphics I suppose)

The only characters that could be taken out are Gau, Mog and Umaro, but VI would lose its cuteness if there's no Mog.
    "I'm a general, not some opera floozy!"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Umaro is my sweet baby boy whom I love very much and FFVI would be empty without him

I mean, you could argue all you want about the number of characters weighing down the narrative (which they don’t as pretty much all of them have purpose and very well resolved plots), but just the fact that every character has people who are attached to them speaks volumes about how well the large cast was actually implemented.

No, I don't. Even if they don't all have the same importance, every character has a reason to fight, and I feel like we can connect with most of them. Also, the bigger cast make possible dungeons like the Pheonix Cave and Kefka's Tower, with more than one team, that are still in my favorite ones on this day.