Thread: What is something you like/love about this game that other people hate? (IX Edition)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default What is something you like/love about this game that other people hate? (IX Edition)

What it says on the tin, what are some elements from this game you love that everyone else seems to get all grumpy about when you bring it up?

While I can think of a few things, the major one I just don't see eye to eye with people on is the Trance system. It was a brilliant idea in my opinion. I liked that it not only gave the characters unique abilities that really showed their classes off in cool ways, but I actually liked that it wasn't saveable and hitting trance meant it was lost. Why you may ask? Because Limit Breaks are so freaking overpowered in this series that the game that let you build strategies around them are too damn easy. Yes I'm calling VII, VIII, X, and XII out, your gameplay is less fun because you have an overpowered mechanic that trivializes all of the game's difficulty barring the superbosses. Restricting the mechanic to semi-random chance meant you couldn't rely on it to win your battles, and thanks heavens they did so because it's not like IX wasn't already easy to begin with, having trance be savable between battles would have made the game suffer for it cause Trance is already overpowered as is and doesn't need the extra help. I'm happy it's a fickle mechanic. It helps that it's tied in with the story as well since Trance only activates in moments of extreme emotion, it wouldn't make sense to let a character stay in that state indefinitely... FFVII and X.

There's a lot of reasons this game turns me off, but if I sit and think of something I truly respect it for, it would have to be its sincerity. I hated the emo cliche over-the-top whiny emotions and unrealistic jumps in logic in 8 and 10, the two games that book-ended this one. But this game had realistic characters with realistic ambitions, reactions, needs, and fleshed out personalities with realistic growth. Some got over looked or weren't needed (mostly Amaranth, possibly Quina), but I definitely enjoyed character reactions and revelations. The Vivi scenes are by far some of the most memorable experiences on the PSOne. I wish the game resonated with me in every other aspect the way I respect it's characters and their writing

I like all the callbacks to previous Final Fantasy games. Oddly enough one of the major complaints I hear about the game is that it draws too heavily from the classic era, which boggles my mind. The majority of people saying that probably have FFIV or FFVI as their favorite.

The fact that it feels like a love letter to the classic fans as well as having an identity of its own is what makes it my favorite.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

"People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots" ~Kawaii Ryűkishi

I can't think of anything I really don't like about the game. I guess something I see people complain about is the ability system with limited gems to equip skills with. I never had a problem with it.
    Last edited by theundeadhero; 06-29-2017 at 11:11 AM.

The title for this thread must have ran off the cell when I was viewing new posts/threads, because when I answered, i had no idea it was supposed to be about things that most people hate. Most people love the writing and characters. So my post is invalidated

IDK ? Quina I guess ? They/ It/ Them/ He/ She seems to get alot of hate, and the character is excellent in battles and he's a great comedic relief. I also like Eiko, she can be annoying and obnoxious sometimes, though she's can be a relateable character. She can also be a better White Mage/ Summoner than Dagger.

I liked Eiko and didn't mind Quina.

Amarant and Eiko are pretty nice characters.

The 3rd and 4th disk seem markedly unpopular in some circles but I thought it all worked well.