Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of gamer are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    don't play a lot or a big range, but when I find a game I love I go really hard and get way too into it.
    Same here!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's safe to say I look at games as a designer rather than as a user. I probably have more fun dissecting the components and seeing how they interconnect than the initial experience itself. I kind of find this amusing itself, since I seem to be pretty inept at actually finishing a game I try to make myself.

It definitely depends on the game I am playing.

There's not a lot of modern games that have kept me entertained long enough to try and 100% them but if a game is able to bring me back then I definitely will try to 100% it. Being pressed for time because of responsibilities I definitely choose which games I'd want to 100%. Some games have ridiculous challenges that I feel don't warrant the time necessary to complete them. Especially in a day and age where game libraries can get back logged by constant sales!

If I were looking for a word than I'd probably go with adaptive.
    "The Real Folk Blues" by Seatbelts ft. Mai Yamane

Im a connoisseur. I want to play and complete every good game ever made no matter the genre.

I invite you all to a game tasting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm a Score Chaser; I'll play most any game, but he games I get really caught up in are the ones that rate the player based on speed and efficiency. Arcade-inspired games, basically, but also games like Metal Gear Solid and Super Metroid that aren't really about speed but lend themselves well to it. RPGs with myriad customization options/rules for combat that make combat either really challenging or a breeze also apply here, like Vagrant Story and SMT.

That being said, when I want to slow things down, I also really love games with diverse environments to explore. Tallon IV in Metroid Prime, various incarnations of Hyrule and Dracula's Castle, and FFXII's Ivalice are some of my favorites. Hell, I don't think it's a particularly good game, but I still remember Star Fox Adventures fondly for its environments and music.

Side Note: Kanno, I have a best friend who views games the same way you do, and I'd be lying if I said it hasn't rubbed off on me a bit. I think that's why I like games with scoring systems; it's feedback from the developers telling me that I'm playing the game the way they want me to.
    Returners Represent!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like to immerse myself. And once I'm done with a game, I analyze it to hell and back, as well as read TVTropes obsessively. I'm mostly focused on the story and narrative aspect, but I also enjoy a really satisfying, challenging gameplay experience, especially if it meshes well with the narrative, or even drives it.

I'm pretty picky, though, tbh. I play games a lot but there's a very specific niche that I play. It turns out that my tastes are very often far from the mainstream and my likes and dislikes are also the deviation rather than the norm (see FFX, DQVI, BoF: DQ).

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I'm a casual. I'll happily sit down and play some online multiplayer like Rocket League or Tekken and have a few games. Call of Duty back in the days when it was good. Couldn't care less if I win or lose, just play for fun. Love a good RPG but it seems impossible to come by a good one these days. Replaying FFXII atm and really enjoying it.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles
    Blog Entries

Either test my wits or reward my creativity tactically and mechanically, either expand my mind or pull my heartstrings aesthetically and narratively.

One part slow-descent repeater. I don't know, I think that means what I'm trying to say. Basically, sometimes I start playing a game that has repetitive gameplay and incentive to replay which is limited to expand and collect and I slowly start to realize I really just don't care.

One part abysmal escapist. Meaning to say that the soul-sucking drudgery of life has me constantly seeking any way out apart from death even if only temporarily. So I enjoy games with plot or action or puzzles.

One part achieve-zerker. In other words, being so driven to accomplish specific tasks (or even finishing the game which ultimately is not realistically important) that being unable results in explosive outbursts of violence and profanity. When I was younger, I would actually hurl my controller across the room, beat my console, and flagellate myself (hitting myself in the head or my leg).

One part dream scribe. Well, what I mean is that I'm a writer who dreams of making his own media empire one day and I tend to play games in an effort to learn what works and what doesn't, not only gameplay-wise but story-wise, which is why I love Final Fantasy.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.