Thread: Screenrant made an interesting list about Square-Enix.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Smash Screenrant made an interesting list about Square-Enix.

Screen rant listed what they felt were the ten best games to come out of Square-Enix along with the five worst games to come out of it.

Here's the article.

For those who simply want the dirt and don't want to read the article, here's the list.

Top Ten Best Games
    10. Parasite Eve II
    9. Super Mario RPG
    8. Vagrant Story
    7. Secret of Mana
    6. Final Fantasy Tactics
    5. The World Ends With You
    4. Final Fantasy VII
    3. Kingdom Hearts II
    2. Chrono Trigger
    1. Final Fantasy VI

Top Five Worst Games
    5. Dirge of Cerberus: FFVII
    4. Parasite Eve: The 3rd Birthday
    3. Unlimited SaGa
    2. Final Fantasy: All the Bravest
    1. Ehrgeiz

So, do you agree or disagree with the lists? What would you have put on it?

Can't say I ever expected to see someone put PE2 over PE1. Or any SE title under Unlimited SaGa. Strange world, this.

Mostly looks kosher, except for the fact that Parasite Eve is superior to its sequel in every department except gratuitous shower scenes. I really didn't like PE2, regardless of its gameplay innovations -- and I certainly disagree with the article's claim that it has a better story than the original game.

As for alterations, I'd take out Ehrgeiz (which I'd actually never heard of before this list, and which research tells me just seems mediocre and pointless rather than actively terrible) and fill its empty slot with Lightning Returns, but then move that around to #4 and push one of the others on the list to the #1 spot. Don't know which I'd consider the absolute worst.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Glad to see DoC got recognized as the piece of dog turd that it is. I'd put it way higher on the worst list, though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This tells me I should continue playing The World Ends With You.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Glad to see DoC got recognized as the piece of dog turd that it is. I'd put it way higher on the worst list, though.
    Because Screenrant or you are scientifically accurate.

I don't know what to say to that list that I can't say about all of them. Just another list that is online. That's it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

There is no such thing as a 'scientifically accurate' best or worst list.

I am happy to say I never played any of the games on that worst list!

I played all on the Best list except PE2. Maybe I should try it. Can't argue too much with the greatness of all those games on there. FFVI/CT are like a standard 1-2 as these lists go. That really was the peak of Square. It's also always great to see love given to Vagrant Story and TWEWY, some of their less popularized games. I'd rank them differently and put FFIV and possibly XI up there but that's my own personal preference.

Odd that this is a 'Square-Enix' list but other than All the Bravest/TWEWY I think these are just purely Square games? Where's the Enix love?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the only major change I would do with the Worst list is replace Ehrgiez with Tobal No. 1 and knock it to rank 2 while pushing All the Bravest to the number one slot because that piece of trout is barely a game and blatant cash grab of the worst kind.

Ehrgiez was hardly a good game, and if it didn't have the cameos from FFVII in it, I'm sure no one would have played it outside of Japan, but Tobal No.1 is easily the worst fighting game Square ever made, Ehrgiez at least had a few redeeming qualities but Tobal just sucked.

As for the Best list, I would replace KHII with either Chain of Memories or Birth by Sleep and then drop it towards the back. I've oddly enough, never played any of the Parasite Eve titles, and only know them by reputation, so I can't really comment on it. Though part of me is tempted to replace it with one of the SaGa titles instead. Course there is also Xenogears...

I doubt that most who hate Unlimited SaGa know too much of it. It was not so bad at all I would say.

It isn't bad if you have a taste for what the game is, but you have to admit that it may very well be the most acquired taste in all of gaming, which certainly hurts its overall appeal.

All the Bravest should've been top worst.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As a kid, I couldn't stomach unlimited saga, but I'd like to try again. I feel like I'd be more equipped now. I also really liked ehrgeiz as a kid.