Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia Gaming

Default Nostalgia Gaming

I recently dug up my old Super Nintendo and to my delight and surprise, it still worked! As I dusted off some of the games that I forgot I owned long ago, a deep sense of nostalgia came flowing back to me.

Booting up and just hearing the intro music to Secret Of Mana for instance brought me back to being 8 years old and playing all night long with two of my neighbors during summer vacation. That feeling of joy when a boss was defeated or a weapon skill level was upgraded. The strange foreboding when I first encountered the ruins of Pandora. Also good bless the multi-player adaptor that one of my neighbor's would always bring, allowing us all to play together. I hadn't played the game in nearly 20 years but instantly, I was back again.

Are there specific games or even moments in games that trigger a memory for you?

Take care all.

First game I owned; I hear the music just looking at it still. ; -;

The Genesis Sonic series as a whole. Playing them always takes me back to better times. Or at least more ignorant ones.

In fact I nearly started up Sonic 1 tonight for the mood I'm in, but decided it was a bit too late at night for it.

The original Resident Evil is full of terrific one liners that make me 11 years old again.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I recently bought the FFXII remaster and it's really exceeded my expectations for far. I was thinking that over time the quality would have aged badly and nostalgia was placing it on a higher pedestal than what it actually was, but it's brilliant.

Str8 Pimpin'

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A good chunk of the arcade games on my Top 100 list fall into this category. I think Chrono Trigger and MM2 take the cake for console titles though.

Playing Fire Emblem 7 makes me feel ten years old again haha. Also hearing any song from Chrono Trigger makes me very nostalgic.

Hearing To Zanarkand or any Chrono Cross track instantly starts the feels and nostalgia trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndis Highwind View Post
    Playing Fire Emblem 7 makes me feel ten years old again haha. Also hearing any song from Chrono Trigger makes me very nostalgic.
    How is the music in Chrono Trigger compared to Chrono Cross? And how does it add to the ambiance of the game?

Never got the chance to play that one, but it seems to be a staple among other RPG players (・_・ヾ

Quote Originally Posted by Raine Lockehart View Post
    Hearing To Zanarkand or any Chrono Cross track instantly starts the feels and nostalgia trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndis Highwind View Post
    How is the music in Chrono Trigger compared to Chrono Cross? And how does it add to the ambiance of the game?

Never got the chance to play that one, but it seems to be a staple among other RPG players (・_・ヾ
    Oddly enough, I haven't heard enough of the Chrono Cross OST to really give my opinion. I grew up listening to some of it, and what I have heard is really good, but not enough to give my full opinion sadly.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

A big part of why I remember the Super Nintendo and certain games so fondly is because I played the console at my great grandmother's house. I played on this small CRTV and sat far away from it in this cool room that had glass sliding doors on each side. One side simply lead to the driveway out front and the other side, where I sat, went out to a cement part of the back yard which an old world farming tool shed was located.

Anyway, I had a friend that lived across the street from gram's house. His house was a Sega household. So basically between us we could play nearly anything we wanted from the SNES and Genesis. It was interesting to compare Mortal Kombat between the SNES and Genesis. I knew my version of the game was lame since it was censored, but the animation, sound, and overall game feel was so much better! I did get a Genesis and my friend got a SNES down the line. You know, I originally started this paragraph just to simply say that when we got into a game, we REALLY got into it. It was fun just to tackle something like Mega Man X together or a Final Fantasy title. I would also hang with a cousin of mine semi often back in those days. He was absurdly good at video games in those days. He was one of those guys that would pick up on a game instantly and then dominate it in a matter of days or weeks. I learned a lot from him, and it was very cool to pass along some gaming knowledge to him. The internet is smurfing cool, but there was just so much more meaning in learning about gaming through just bulltroutting with friends, family, and whatever random kid you knew through people.

It's funny how sometimes just thinking about a game can trigger a whole bunch of memories, of a point in your life that comes flooding back in an instant.

I recall countless long nights trying to figure out how exactly to beat Illusion of Gaia's many temples, giving up, going out, having friends come over, have them fail as well and then my neighbor (who never played any video games) picked up the controller and she figured it out just by randomly pushing a button. I think it was when the main character could turn into plasma or something? The stunned look on our faces will never fade away.

Take care all.

Any older than FFXII Final Fantasy game brings back fond memories of when and why I got hooked on the series. I remember back in 2002 when I first popped in FFIX and I was blown away how quick I became addicted.

Other systems and games I was straight up obsessed with were:

Atari - Pacman
    Sega Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog 2,
    Nintendo 64 - Mario 64, Kobe Bryant NBA Courtside, Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball
    PS1: Crash Bandicoot series
    PS2: Madden 2005, NCAA Football 2003, Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, and San Andreas.
    Xbox and 360: 1st 3 Halo games
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I recently was bought an original ZX Spectrum which was the first ever computer we owned. Waiting ten minutes for Matchday 2 and Dizzy to load took me right back to being 5 or 6. I mean, it's a terrible system for games but it's still enjoyable to boot up every now and again. The sound of that loading screen... man.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I went through a sorta nostalgic sonic period once a few years ago. But the main game I always feel like that for is Pokemon mystery dungeon explorers. And the main gen 4 games too.