Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is something you loved about VIII...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moomba What is something you loved about VIII...

...that everyone else seems to hate about it?

I'm honestly a fan of the Draw mechanic, for some reason I just love the idea of stealing magic from enemies and I simply felt it added another lair to battles as long as you paced yourself properly. What about you?

The draw system, the orphanage plot twist, the junction system, Rinoa, Irvine, Zell.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

when it was over
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked the Junction system. I just wish you could use your magic without losing it

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I'm not sure what all people hate about this game, but there was a lot I liked so I'm sure I could find something.

I think the fan theories are pretty interesting and add a lot of depth to the story. I have a feeling Square originally intended them to be canon but then that would have made an already complicated story even more so, which would have made it less accessible to the target demographic. Sort of like how Xenogears was made into its own thing after being deemed "too dark" for Final Fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I liked the Junction system. I just wish you could use your magic without losing it
    This.

Although when junctioned properly only a handful of spells remain useful. Unfortunately those are usually the best for junctioning. One reason why Doomtrain is nice: no need to use Meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I liked it too. It made finding new magic more exciting!

Rinoa's character. She's pretty much the only party member I care about.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How close it is to our world; I just love Final Fantasy VIII in general, but I just love how when you explore the different towns like Balamb, Timber, and Dollet it just feels like having a walk around a real place, just with Final Fantasy stuff added in - hell, even the Garden's feel like some school or college you could have gone to, at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Rinoa's character.
    Yes ! Rinoa is amazing !

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Yeah I like zell and irvine they are pretty cool and funny. Most people despise zell though

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    I think the fan theories are pretty interesting and add a lot of depth to the story. I have a feeling Square originally intended them to be canon but then that would have made an already complicated story even more so, which would have made it less accessible to the target demographic. Sort of like how Xenogears was made into its own thing after being deemed "too dark" for Final Fantasy.
    Oh, the irony

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    How close it is to our world; I just love Final Fantasy VIII in general, but I just love how when you explore the different towns like Balamb, Timber, and Dollet it just feels like having a walk around a real place, just with Final Fantasy stuff added in - hell, even the Garden's feel like some school or college you could have gone to, at times.
    This. Final Fantasy VIII variety of locations made me in some ways prefer its world of "a Fantasy based on reality" to XV's. Really, that game's weakest link was really only being allowed to explore Lucius' countryside. I remember being disappointed when Final Fantasy VIII slowly transitioned from 20th Century Americana/Europeana with fantastical elements to a full-blown Futuristic Science Fantasy.

I also think the cast gets a bit too harsh of a wrap. They can be obnoxious at times, but I was always fond of them. Then again, I only ever really watched my older brother play FFVIII past the first disc, so I might only remember their fun moments.
    Returners Represent!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After Fynn saying that he hated the soundtrack I just wanted to say I thought it was fantastic.