Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516172131 ... LastLast

Thread: WK's Top something or other... let's just say "games" and call it good list.

Just got into BF IV the other day, it's a pretty good game. Really need to get into the other BF games.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

BoF III was more fun for me, but I liked both. The fishing in IV was excellent. Probably my favorite part, other than Fou Lu being awesome.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    I can't remember if FM3 had combo options like FM4 did. That was one of my favorite things about four.
    Yes and no, The game doesn't use the Links system bu there are a few skills that your characters can learn that do the same thing like Cover Fire and Gang Beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It's a good thing IV is a waaaaay better game, then, Pumpkin, so you can ditch that and start this ;0

Seriously, BoF IV is awesome and is hands-down the best game in the series, alongside the much more experimental Dragon Quarter.
    Says you, though this is hardly the only Breath of Fire on this list.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

It's a good thing IV is a waaaaay better game, then, Pumpkin, so you can ditch that and start this ;0

Seriously, BoF IV is awesome and is hands-down the best game in the series, alongside the much more experimental Dragon Quarter.
    Says you, though this is hardly the only Breath of Fire on this list.
    Yes, yes, I know. This is the one thing you're insisting on being wrong about

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, yes, I know. This is the one thing you're insisting on being wrong about
    P4 was a better anime than a game, BoFIV was a better manga than a game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

P4 was a better anime than a game
    Oh please. The Nanako fake death was so much stupider in the anime

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

IMG_5001320953164.jpeg

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been kind of dreading this one, not because of any controversy or anything, I simply can't really think of anything to say here. I mean it's freaking Super Mario Bros. 3, you either understand or you don't and it's one of the most iconic games in Nintendo's library. I guess what I can say is that this game ultimately started an interesting trend with Nintendo where the third entry always seems to set the formula down for the rest of the franchise. I mean with a few exceptions like Mario Cart and Star Fox, games like Metroid and Zelda have all adhered to a strict formula that was usually concocted by the third entry and Mario 3 may have started the trend since it was the first to do so without being on the SNES.Mario returns to his goomba stomping and shell kicking roots after the "now for something completely different" cut and paste job of SMB2 as well as making cameo appearances in a dozen sports titles on the NES. The game introduces two major hallmarks of the franchise: Themed Worlds/Levels and ridiculous power-ups. The fact that so many of the power-ups in this game are so iconic is a nice testament to how well this game was made and some fans still feel that Nintendo has never quite designed a game with the same caliber since. Plains, deserts, underwater, giants, the sky, ice, pipes, and even Bowser's hell on earth world. It's hard to argue this game didn't give you some serious variety and change up how you did things. You even got a special inventory system to hold onto power-ups you can use on the map to given yourself an edge before tackling a new level.Speaking of which, Mario introduces the "world map" concept to the series and the possibility of a non-linear approach with the right items, not to mention the fun dueling co-op as you and a friend battle to see who can "take over" as many levels as possible. The roaming boss ship in each world was also pretty swanky despite being some of my least favorite levels. This was a pretty iconic game from my childhood, and I still remember fondling trying to beat this game with my dad. He still considers it his favorite Mario game and it's one of mine, though not my favorite. Normally I would end this with a video doing a trailer or commercial, and technically this is pretty much the same idea, but a little more special.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mario World will probably always be my favorite, but i do love Mario 3 quite a bit.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Mario 3 is, quite simply, one of the greatest games of all time. It's probably my number 1 non RPG.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Always a toss-up between this and SMW for the best Mario game but I think this narrowly takes it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's very weird, because I grew up with my parents' NES with only Super Mario 1 and 2, and to this day I've only ever watched a friend play through the third game (while game over-ing really early as Luigi). I feel like I've really missed out not playing SMB3 and SMW.
    Returners Represent!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Always a toss-up between this and SMW for the best Mario game but I think this narrowly takes it.
    I am in total agreement. They are both sublime platformers with incredible variety but the extra challenge in SMB3 gives it the edge for me.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Looking at them pictures just gave me a solid pang of nostalgia. I haven't played SMB3 for nearly 20 years now I'd imagine, yet it and Solstice were the only games I owned on the NES, I loved them both! I wonder if it's still possible to play them on a console? :/

Str8 Pimpin'

Agreed. That part was really not that well done. Only real bit of the game I can say that about, but there it is.

On the other hand, the P3 episode makes up for it.

As for Mario 3... My first Mario game, and my first console game. But...it didn't age well for me. Going back to it, the controls feel floaty, almost like the whole game is with ice physics, and I don't know that I've ever finished it. At this point, I likely never will.

But I've beaten SMW several times over. All exits, all dragon coins. As Mario. As Luigi. As a file where I switch every time I get an exit. I've done everything in that game. Great game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.