Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415161718192333 ... LastLast

Thread: WK's Top something or other... let's just say "games" and call it good list.

I wish more party-based games would use the gambit system or something like it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They basically scrapped that to make the AI do it. It was cool to have the highly customizable gambit system but I felt like there wasn't enough 'if' options.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

51.And now back to our regularly scheduled program... and ooh boy, I get to talk about my two favorite things: Pretentious existential philosophical mumbo jumbo and giant robots. Lucky for me, Tetsuya Takahashi likes the sames things and keeps finding people willing to fund his games. In fact, this is the game that actually made me join a forum. My first forum was the former Ethos Sanctuary which lasted a good while before the drama of the series development and the fan community caused the owner to hate all Xeno fans, and ban everyone before he pulled the plug on the site. Good times.Xenosaga, in general, is a spiritual prequel to Xenogears that eventually became it's own thing under the tenure of Monolith Soft. When Square told Takahashi and the Xeno team that they had no intentions of making any further games in the Xeno series, the team left Square and formed Monolith Soft and got a contract with Namco to create a new Xeno franchise. In truth, Xenosaga may be the poster child within RPG circles for the dangers that can be done concerning executive meddling, listening to focus groups, and the constant battle between artistic integrity and the reality of game business on a fresh IP. As I mentioned before, Kojima is about the only game director on the market that has somehow crossed the gap between weird ass auteurs design, and actually making something that is fairly profitable. Xenogears was a cult hit for Square, and in time, Xenosaga is a bit of a cult hit for Namco, but one I don't ever expect the company to ever address again outside of the occasional crossover spin-off. The damage the series took with each new entry ultimately killed the franchise and after replaying the franchise again last year; it has become a bit more obvious to me that many elements that were being set up in the first game were either dropped, or significantly changed in the sequels. Much like the half finished Gears, Saga also fails to give the players the true vision it really entailed. Set thousands of years in our future, mankind has colonized worlds with ease, nanotechnology is the norm, and people live side by side with bio-androids called Realians. Mankind is under attack by a mysterious alien race called the Gnosis; these beings exist in a higher plane of existence, but can still interact with our world and cause untold damage. Professor Mizrahi studied the Gnosis Phenomena along with their connection to a mysterious artifact from Earth called the Zohar, which seems to have the power to warp reality and channel infinite power from other dimensions. His research institute, controlled by a religious order with connections to the Zohar, start a rebellion on the planet Militia which spreads to the rest of the Militian solar system. The war devastates the world, saw Mizrahi commit suicide, the planet Militia and the Original Zohar are sealed away into pocket space, and the Gnosis appearance skyrockets; leaving the Federation to deal with the new threat. When the game opens, the planet Ariadne has vanished from physical space, and the Federation hastily sends a military unit to investigate to see if this was caused by the Gnosis. To offset the rush job of putting the unit together, the Federation are helped by the powerful corporate conglomerate Vector, who lend them a new space ship called the Woglinde. They are given the staff of Project KOS-MOS, an anti-Gnosis battle android, unique for being completely mechanical instead of usual Realian technology as a fail safe in case the Gnosis do show up. Shion Uzuki is the head researcher of the project, and despite KOS-MOS's future role, Shion has a motherly attachment to her due to her being a pet project by her secret lover and KOS-MOS' original designer, Kevin Winnicot. Kevin died during the original KOS-MOS' activation and Shion was forced to destroy her, but has since rebuilt her.The mission feels off to everyone on board and it almost feels like the expedition is being controlled by other forces not connected to the military. The crew pick up a large artifact that is the only thing remaining at the sight where the planet is and quickly start heading home, which unnerves the crew. Eventually the Gnosis do attack the ship and Shion finds herself in a life or death struggle to escape.That right there is about the first three or four hours of the plot. I could easily jump into the other storylines that present themselves in the plot, but that would be another five to ten pages worth of text. I feel I'm getting my point across when I say that Xenosaga Episode 1, is a story dense game. In fact the largest complaint against the game back in the day was that you watched it more than you actually played it, and that's not a lie in the slightest. After the initial tutorial dungeon, you won't see another for about an hour or two. If you're the type of gamer who likes a little gameplay with their huge heaping of story, then this is game for you. The pacing of this game is both it's greatest strength and it's greatest weakness, to say it's a slow burn is a bit of an understatement. The game spends the first several hours trying to get you up to speed with the setting and characters, and I honestly feel it does a pretty good job. It makes sure that you know the differences between your U-TICs from your U.R.T.V. and it has a helpful glossary you can access to help fill you in when the plot wants to be vague. It's actually kind of intimidating how many story threads are introduced right off the bat, and while it may seem like they are moving forward a bit too slow for people used to Final Fantasy's more "shock and awe" approach the game ultimately starts a rapid fire succession of major twists and dramatic moments. Where it succeeds is that the payoff for sticking with the story and characters is usually worth the wait in regards to the first title. Cherenkov, a spy for the U-TIC organization, kind of feels like he's just there and his story will likely resolve itself in a cliche storm, and then the game really takes a left turn, and you learn so much about him that transforms him into one of the game's more sympathetic antagonists. The cast is both unconventional and surprisingly developed. Shion is a brilliant scientist, but is incredibly flawed as she often has poor social skills that make her seem more childish than the other cast membersDespite his misanthrope nature though, she's also incredibly sympathetic when it comes to Realians and KOS-MOS. KOS-MOS is pure badass fanservice with a healthy dose of mystery and sassiness she gives to Shion. The other party members also have interesting arcs and story's which often pair up with each other.

Ziggy was once a police officer who suffered a traumatic event that led to his suicide, but due to being an organ donor and the transhumanist Life Recycling Act, he was brought back as a cyborg with no means of self-terminating, instead he simply requests to have more and more of his flesh replaced with machines until he becomes a full robot. In contrast, his story entwines him with MOMO, an advanced Realian child, and the last creation of Mizrahi based on his dead daughter. She is more human than other realians and wishes to be treated so, especially by Mizrahi's widow, but the stigma against her kind prevents this. So we have a human who wants to be a machine teamed up with a machine that wants to be human. Jr. is contrasted with Shion, he runs the Kukai Foundation which protects and serves as a political voice for tranhumans created during the era of the Life Recycling Act, in truth, the organization is actually a paramilitary group made by the government to hunt down the remnants of the order that caused the Militian Conflict. While Jr. looks about twelve years old, he's actually twenty six, and his "father" is actually his clone younger brother. Like Shion, he was a child present during the Miltian Conflict and still carries the scars of the war with him. The cast is wonderfully written and it doesn't take long to really get invested with their stories. Like Xenogears before it though, the real praise must got to the villains. I often feel that my love of FF villains dropped considerably after dealing with the antagonists of the Xeno franchises. Margulis is a grim military man associated with a religious order and basically sums up his deal with his iconic line concerning the disappearance of Ariadne as "what's a few billion lives to us?". While it would be easy to sum him up as some evil megalomaniac, Margulis is actually just loyal to the cause of his religion, and even shows courteousness to MOMO when she has her captured and finds Albedo to be utterly repulsive. Albedo, my god, Albedo is the best thing about this whole franchise. Imagine Kefka with a sympathetic backstory, no real destructive magic, but traded it for true immortality, and he's voiced by Crispin "the voice of sex personified" Freeman. About the only good thing I can say about the sequels is that they did a great job, showing how completely multi-faceted this psychopath truly is. Albedo will ultimately steal the show for the rest of the game and marks a dark turning point for the plot as we begin to see the darker parts of the world and setting with him. In fact, his scene with MOMO is likely the most well known scene from this game, and possibly one of the funniest examples of where censorship actually made a scene look worse. Albedo psychologically tortures MOMO with both a madness induced psychological tirade with all the hamminess you would expect for something like that; and showing off his power to regenerate. In the original, he's brandishing a knife to cut off his limbs, in the censored version, he rips them off bare handed. Now which sounds more disturbing to you? I've often complained about games like FFX and XIII for railroading the player and forcing us to deal with their stories while stripping away the game side of things, but I've often also said that such a design can work as long as the player likes the story. This is one of those games for me, and thankfully, it does actually have slightly better dungeon design and mini-games than FFX, but like those games, if you can't get into the plot, this game will be an utter chore for you. With that said, the game play side of things is actually step up from Xenogears. Battles are turn based and still use AP to determine the types of hits, Deathblows are gained purely from leveling now, but are separated by whether they are short range or long range. You now have to equip these moves and can have up to six of them on a character at once. All characters have their own spell trees, but once a spell is mastered, a character can spend extra spell points to learn another characters spell. So for instance, Shion has a group heal spell, but everyone else can actually be taught the skill once Shion learns it. You can equip one accessory, but it's now possible to learn the special skills off of accessories and you're allowed to equip up to three of them. Despite how much the game tries to balance this, they ultimately fail, and this one aspect actually winds up breaking the game, as it's possible to teach every character a skill from an accessory that gives the same effect as the Valiant Knife from FFVI. It was still a neat concept, and gives a huge amount to customization. Some party members can also pilot A.G.W.S. which are mini-humanoid mecha with better defense and firepower than your party most of the time. These units can actually get some pretty great customization options in terms of weapon load out, but it pales in comparison to better mecha games like Front Mission and Armored Core. Still, I appreciate the concept and miss dearly once the series has the party upgrade to the Gears expys in later installments.

The crown jewel is the battle system, which introduces the Boost System and Event Slots. Like FFX, you can actually see the turn order in combat, and who gets to fight up to four people. As your characters dish out damage, they increase the boost gauge and once they have at least one boost saved up, the character has the ability to give themselves an extra turn as long as they are not already in the turn queue, this means you can interrupt enemy attacks or get some emergency healing done. This is especially invaluable due to the event slot. Every "turn" in battle gives a different bonus the game cycles through, such as a dramatic increase in the boost gauge, a guarantee critical hit from any attack, or even one that doubles the amount of skill and tech points you earn in battle. This system ultimately determines the course of the battle as you'll be wanting to make sure enemies don't get the good bonuses while also making sure to kill the enemy during the extra point bonus gauge. It adds a whole layer of strategy to battle especially since enemies can use boost as well, and they even get a special one that allows them to bypass the "only when you're not in the queue" rule allowing bosses to effectively have two or three turns a round. In fact, the boss battles in this game can be utterly brutal and the game is surprisingly difficult at times.

There are a whole wealth of other features I can go on and on about, but bottom-line, this is a wonderful hidden gem of a game on the PS2. I replayed the whole franchise last year in hopes of walking away from it with renewed love like I did with the Suikoden franchise, and instead walked away a bit more disappointed than I thought I would be. While I did decide that Episode 2 isn't quite the total train wreck I remember it being, Episode 3 aged poorly and felt way more like a rush job than I remember it being. In fact, with the exception of art direction, Episode 3 looks a lot worse in action than Episode 1, due to cutting too many corners with the character animation and using static models for the bulk of the dialogue; whereas Episode 1 had most of the story shown in cutscene. I wouldn't be surprised if Episode 1's cutscenes run on 60fps whereas I know Episode 3's run on 40fps. This is what I ultimately walked away from, was that more love and care went into the first title than the sequels. Episode 2 was mangled by executive meddling, and Episode 3 tried to salvage what it could with the story, and rushed out a conclusion cause the team probably knew an Episode 4 wasn't going to happen. This is especially grating because Episode 1 really showed the franchise had so much potential and despite the slow build up, I feel like the game left me wanting more, whereas the sequels kind of made me happy the farce was over.

Xenosaga Episode 1 is a wonderful title with some good ideas and questionable pacing. If you really want a good and deep sci-fi story that pulls in influences from other sci-fi greats like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, and Solaris; this is a game I feel is worth checking out, and who knows, perhaps you'll like the sequels as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

XENOSAGA YAY

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I've always considered slogging through Xeno 2 so I could appreciate Xeno 3 more.
    (Xeno 3 is still sitting new on my shelf, wrapped up.)

Now I'm less motivated to play either.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    I've always considered slogging through Xeno 2 so I could appreciate Xeno 3 more.

First of all, no it isn't. I've played it and we've had this discussion

Second of all, rushed issues aside, I though Xenosaga 3 was amazing and I loved it even more than 1 and I replay it more often. So YMMV

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post

First of all, no it isn't. I've played it and we've had this discussion

Second of all, rushed issues aside, I though Xenosaga 3 was amazing and I loved it even more than 1 and I replay it more often. So YMMV
    It was in the wrapper before you played it. I remember buying new from some place that was trying to get rid of it cheap. Best Buy maybe.

Same thing with that Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution I have. Thought I'd play it, but I stuck with Virtua Fighter 4 for whatever reason. /shrug

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Xenosaga is one of my favorite rpgs of all time, but it's one I may not ever be able to get into again due to the length of the cutscenes and me having no time to play games.

I'm actually pretty ok with 2 despite the fact that the series did go downhill at that point. More than anything, it's the change in art style and voices I hate in 2, but I was still pretty invested in the story and characters. I can agree with 3 not aging as well, but I still enjoy it. I do just wish the series could have continued the quality from the first one. It's one of my most replayed games.

I love Xenosaga. I love the first game, I love the second game except for combat, and I love the third game. Xenosaga HD remake, Xenosaga 4, please, anything.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They really do need to remake Xenosaga so I can finally play it. I am not about to dig my PS2 out of the garage and pay $100 or whatever just to play one old game. I don't even think you can get it on PSN.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When a franchise has been around long enough, some fans ask the devs to "mix it up" and really play with the formula. Most often or not, they won't really listen to fans because if it works, don't fix it. On very rare occasions, the devs may actually listen and more often than not, we all learn why you should never listen to fans, because fans don't want new things.

So I feel it's easy to say that the radical new direction BoFV went, instilled the wrong type of feelings the devs were hoping for. Remember how I said back with the BoFIV entry that the series got progressively darker with every entry? Well here's the culmination of that statement as you can easily tell by the screenshots.
    In the distant past, civilization cracked the genetic code and began abusing it to create new weapons and other horrors from which humanity could use to kill each other. The scariest beings, the D-Constructs, which are basically Dragon Clones with near immortality and great intelligence and power ravaged the world so badly, that the people had to build underground shelters and escape the toxic surface world. People have lived underground for so long that they simply forgot what the "sky" is.
    In the dystopian world of Sheldar, ruled by the mysterious Regents who are close to being physical gods, life ekes out a bleak existence. At birth, every person is graded by their D-Ratio, which determines their full potential. High ratios go off to become leaders of the community or even Regents themselves, while low grade are forever stuck in some meaningless job. This caste system eventually caused rise to Trinity, an anti-government force which wants to change the system, but has trouble making any effective change due to the apathy of the citizens. BioCorp is a mega corp that uses genetic engineering to create drugs and Genics (artificial life forms) that are used as food for the citizens, while they have no notable power structure, they work closely with the Regents to maintain social order and I'm pretty sure Hojo wouldn't have a problem getting a job their along Albert Wesker.
    Ryu 1/8192 (that's actually his full name) is a low ranking grunt who has worked his way up to Third Grade Ranger, which is as high as he'll ever be. He is a compassionate figure who always tries to help others, even at the cost of his own misery, but it makes him well respected among the citizens and his fellow Rangers. His partner, Bosch 1/64, is trying to build up his reputation and climb the social ladder in hopes of becoming a Regent himself. The two are ordered by their superior Zeno, to guard a piece of cargo being transported for BioCorp.
    On their way to the transport, Ryu and Bosch encounter a dead, but massive reptilian Genic pinned to a wall. Ryu hears a voice calling to him, but Bosch scoffs it off as his nerves. While transporting the cargo, they are attacked by Trinity and wind up getting separated in the lower caves where wild Genics roam. Here Ryu makes the startling discovery that their cargo was actually a twelve year old girl who can barely speak and only says her name, Nina. She has strange wings coming out of her back and is quite frail. Ryu vows to protect her and find Bosch so they can talk to the higher ups about what is going on. On his way, he encounters Lin, a Woren (cat people) who is working for Trinity and responsible for the attack on the cargo. Their situation forces the two to work together for Nina's sake and they eventually find their way back to the lower part of the city.
    Ryu has an uncomfortable reunion with Bosch and his fellow rangers that ends with Ryu forming a pact with a D-Construct named Odjn that grants him dragon powers, Nina revealing that she's a human air filter that is slowly dying due to the amount of pollution in the world, and all three of them being on the run as the whole world wants the "dragon" dead. With Nina dying, Ryu is compelled by Odjn to seek the mythical surface so she may live, but Odjn's power takes a great toll on Ryu's own body, and it becomes a race against time to see if both of them will survive the journey to the surface.
    It goes without saying that Dragon Quarter is a pretty bleak game, and I did what I could to hide some of the juicier story tidbits that really show how messed up the world and society is in this game. Most of the characters are tragic figures and it gets really heart wrenching the further you progress as both Nina and Ryu's conditions deteriorate. While I would love to dwell and muse on the social commentary and philosophical undertones of the story, I feel like it would reveal too much and unlike some games on this list, I know most people have never really played this entry and I highly advise that many of you rectify this.
    If the bleak setting and depressing plot wasn't enough to scare you away, then perhaps the game's quirky new mechanics will instead. Gameplay is a serious change-up from previous installments. Enemies can be seen on the field, but more importantly, you the player have the ability to set up traps or use food to lure enemies together or away. You can drop some food among some proximity mines to lure all the enemies together and have them take serious damage before engaging them, or you can use poison mushroom to inflict status ailments on them to get an edge in battle. The mechanics are quite ingenious and with the exception of a similar if less involved mechanic in the Xenosaga franchise, I am still amazed no other RPG series has ever utilized this system because it gives a whole new level of depth to on screen enemy encounters.
    Battle do take place on a separate screen and utilize an AP system that controls every action you take. Your characters can move freely in battle as long as they have the AP to do so but, wasting AP to reach an enemy can leave the character reaching them and have nothing left to use for combat. There is no basic attack command, instead all of a characters battle commands are equipped onto your weapons like materia, with a total of nine skills being usable. With that said, you can only equip three of any tier skill for your weapon and thus each skill is ranked based on power. Tier one skills cost 10 AP but do minimal damage, while Tier 3 cost 30 AP and have higher damage potential. With that said, your character gets damage bonuses for chaining together strings of attacks so sometimes chaining together eight or nine basic Slash attacks can do more damage than using all three of your tier 3 skills. Some skills also give additional effects when used as part of a chain and both Ryu and Lin have skills that can completely change into new unique skills when chained together properly. It sounds complicated but it's pretty simple and fun to use.
    All three characters have a unique role in battle. Ryu is a straightforward fighter ith more health and armor options making him a useful "shield" to protect the more fragile members. Nina can cast some powerful offensive skills but her real talent comes with her Trap spells that she can lay on the battlefield that will do obscene amounts of damage and stop an enemy in their track or force them to waste their own AP trying to get around them to reach the party. Lin's skill largely focus on changing where the enemies are on the field, many of her gun skills have knock back which can be used quite effectively with Nina's trap magic to cause some serious hurt, she can also use her Vacuum skill to draw enemies dangerously close together for Ryu and Nina to use their group hitting kills. It's a highly tactical battle system and incredibly fun.
    Ryu can also transform into a hybrid dragon form, but here's where some of the more controversial elements of the game kick in. The D-Counter is a timer that activates once Ryu gains his dragon powers and slowly and irreversibly rises from 0% to 100% for the rest of the game. If the counter reaches 100% before you reach the end, Ryu is fully possessed by Odjn and is killed in a pretty gruesome transformation sequence, that also prematurely ends the game. So yes, the game is technically on a timer, but realistically, it's more psychologically daunting than being a literal issue. You can actually reach the end of the game with more than half of your D-Counter still available if you play intelligently. This counter is always rising, but when you use Ryu's dragon powers, it rises very quickly. To compensate for this, Ryu's dragon mode is ridiculously overpowered and he can pretty much destroy every boss in the game with little effort but at the high risk of increasing the D-Counter by double digit percents. So gameplay is about balancing when to use this ability in an emergency as opposed to just trying to end every boss encounter in a one sided affair. You'll also want to use it conservatively because some of the game's bosses, especially the Regents are insanely powerful and more of a headache to conquer by normal means.
    The game's difficulty is much higher than typical RPGs in order to trick you into using the dragon form, but there is another controversial mechanic you can use instead. The Scenario Overlay System (SOL) is an odd mechanic where when the party is killed in battle or Ryu's counter hits 100% you have the option to return to your last save and lose all your progress, or you can Use SOL Restart and start the whole game over game, except your character gets to keep any skills they've learned, equipment they left in a storage locker, and all the party experience they accumulated. Party Experience? Yes, when you beat enemies they drop two types of XP, standard for leveling a character and a party one that the player can use to level any of the characters at any time as long as they have enough. With these three factors, you can basically restart the game with a party equipped to be fighting mid-game opponents, allowing for an easier time to get back to where you were when you had to restart.
    To add a more titillating incentive, you're graded when you restart the game and this changes Ryu's D-Ratio. This will power up certain weapons, allow access to new areas in the new playthrough, and actually unlocks new story scenes that have a dramatic change on the story. While the D-Ratio change doesn't affect Ryu's standing in the plot (you can have a D-Ratio of 1/4 and the characters still treat you like a low rank trash) these new scenes add several new layers to the plot and cast. A wonderful case in point is rather early in the game. In the first run, Ryu and Bosch get their orders from Zeno and then Bosch asks to speak with her privately while Ryu is excused. The SOL sequence allows the player to see that private conversation and it really paints a different picture of Bosch for you. These new sequences do a lot for add to the narrative and you'll learn some terrible truths about the cast and setting that really ramps up the quality of the story. Of course, that's how some feel, whereas others would accuse the game of hiding all of it's cool content behind gated nonsense and all of this should have been there from the get go, but in an era where games like NieR have pulled this off beautifully, I would like to think we can get over that issue. To help matters even more is that DQ is actually fairly short, you can beat the game in under ten hours, in fact it's a requirement to get the best D-Ratio. Also, the extra scenes can all be unlocked long before you reach the last set of rankings, so don't worry about having to do a "perfect" run to unlock all the story content.
    The game is quirky for sure, but a real treat if you can get past all of that as it has an incredibly emotional and dark story and one of the best battle systems in the series. The higher difficulty curve can easily be offset with the SOL mechanic but even then, the extra challenge is a nice bonus considering how easy BoFIV was in comparison and works well with the more tactical battle system. The musical score is also worth mentioning since it was composed by Sakimoto of Ivalice fame and produced by Mitsuda of Chrono fame.
    If I'm going to nail the game for anything, it's that I can get behind the fact the game strays way too far off from all the elements that made Breath of Fire unique. The usual colorful worlds and characters are replaced with a drab brown and brown environment with anorexic character models, the anthropomorphic races have mostly been removed or simply replaced with the vague humanoid races like Grassrunner and Woren which significant;y drops the fantasy elements of the game. The sci-fi undertones also run contrast to the more fantasy elements of the series though the series has never been shy about utilizing sci-fi elements in the past.
    The game suffers from a similar problem as BoFIV, which is that Capcom rushed it's development which ends up hurting the story and feel of the game while also creating some underlying balancing issues. For instance, BoFV doesn't have the series traditional fishing mini-game. It was meant to, but ended up getting scrapped to make the deadline and apparently the game's sole Manilo (Fish tribe) was to be a part of it. The Fairy Village isn't as involving or useful as it was in previous installments and there are a lot of story elements cut from the game that can only be discovered from the Japanese artbooks. Thankfully, the translation didn't suffer as bad as previous installments.

As bad as some of the Final Fantasy's get accused of, none have been stigmatized with the idea of being a franchise killer, which is what happened with this entry. It took Capcom ten years to finally get around to making a sequel after this title and it is the even more divisive mobile title BoFVI which decided to jump to the complete opposite side of the visual spectrum from BoFV. Just look at it...

Yeah, even if the series did eventually carry on, most fans still hate on this game for killing interest in the series despite the reality being that Capcom was losing money on the series all along. I still consider this game to be both a lost cult classic from the PS2 era, but more importantly, and incredibly forward thinking RPG that still can teach modern developers a thing or two. It is sadly the most underrated entry in the franchise, but I would like to think that fans will eventually come back to it and see it for how it really was a pretty solid game overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    They really do need to remake Xenosaga so I can finally play it. I am not about to dig my PS2 out of the garage and pay $100 or whatever just to play one old game. I don't even think you can get it on PSN.
    The game wasn't rare, it's like $10

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dragon Quarter story seems like a big yes to me but the gameplay a no so I'm left in this weird middle zone

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's just the third game that's up there in price. I still see the first Xenosaga on occasion decently priced.

I really want to get into the breath of fire games one of these days. Played a bit of the first one on gba, but that's about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    The game wasn't rare, it's like $10
    Maybe I was thinking of that one for gamecube. In any event, I'm still not about to dust off my PS2 where I also have to use a ...gasp... wired controller!