Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 111516171819202122232425262731 ... LastLast

Thread: WK's Top something or other... let's just say "games" and call it good list.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll eventually play the original. I've always liked the old capcom platformers.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

30.And now for something completely different. This one may come as a surprise to some of you, and for those it doesn't perhaps it's high ranking on my list will. Dance Dance Revolution is one of my favorite Rhythm games and my second favorite arcade series. I discovered this game just by frequenting arcades with a friend and the two of us decided, "why the hell not?". So we threw some quarters in played a song on Easy Mode, and were pretty badly humiliated in front of a crowd watching. Yet the two of us had a blast fumbling around the controls and resolved ourselves to get better. At which point the obsession kicked in and soon I was practicing at the arcade and trying to get the home version as well.

Back when Konami was still a good company and made awesome games, their music arcade series was super popular in Japan. While DDR couldn't save the arcade scene here, it did give it a last little pop before the scene almost completely disappeared. There is no plot, you simply choose your difficulty mode, whether you want to play solo, two player, or doubles where you use both controls. Then you simply choose your songs and see if you can survive.

I think what I loved about the games was the fantastic selection of songs combined with the novelty and exercise I got out of it. I know I probably come across as a "Comic Book Guy" from the Simpsons who simply sits at his computer or TV playing games all day long, but I'm surprisingly athletic and in decent shape besides my upper body needing more love. So the physicality of the game was actually a selling point for me and I feel the game helped with my terrible core muscles. I know some people like playing the game to show off, I had one friend I introduced the game to who became more obsessed than I did and he loved going to arcades to show off his "mad skillz". I enjoyed the challenge and music more, which often got us into spats when we played with each other cause I loved doing some of the difficult slow songs whereas he hated them because they weren't flashy enough.

The music selection mostly sticks to dance style music with several remixes of classic songs or even just popular music when you played the home versions. I mean jamming out to David Bowie's "Let's Dance" is pretty neat, but the real treat for me was just playing the Bemani artist music. Bemani was Konami's music division that made all of their music arcade games including Guitar Freaks and Beatmania in addition to DDR, and they were filled with artist from their other series as well, including Silent Hills Akira Yamaoka. My favorite artist was easily Naoki Maeda who composed a good chunk of the music for the earlier entries including stand out tracks like "Dynamite Rave" which is considered DDR's theme song.

I know a lot of people are too embarrassed to play something like this, even in public, but much like karaoke, most people will applaud you for having the stones to try than whether you're actually good or not. I still invite everyone to give the game shot, it's super fun series and easier to get into than people think, you simply need to not get discouraged and remember not to return to the central square but stay on the arrow keys.

I had to quit DDR when I moved into an apartment building. Maybe some day I will return (although I mostly played Stepmania on the PC later, with the DDRs all imported).

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I used to play it in the mall whenever I went there, but was never very good at it. A friend and I saw it one day, knew what it was, and we both instantly knew we were doing it. It became a tradition to play it every weekend or two. I imagine most people weren't very impressed. No one ever said anything to us, even though we got the occasional weird stare, but it was fun, and that's all that matters.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it irritated my parents when I played this back in middle and high school. I'd play for hours on end when I was most into it and trying to unlock everything. I just loved having something with a lot of music I enjoyed and arcadey gameplay to keep myself in shape. Unfortunately, I think all of my ddr mats are ruined or lost at this point, and I don't know if there is still anywhere around here that has a machine. I might have to buy another mat soon and play this again... it might help me get back into shape.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not going to have time to do an entry today, so I'll instead play the hint game for the 20s. Here you go.

29. giphy.gif
    26. tumblr_ni1imfGTSw1qd479ro1_500.gif
    25. giphy.gif
    24. tenor.gif
    22. giphy.gif
    21. giphy.gif
    20. tumblr_na13p0eTOa1tgoxx3o1_500.gif

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If 29 isn't civilization I don't know what it could be. Mostly because of fighting Ghandi that aggressive, nuke happy, bastard.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I would guess it's another Street Fighter based on that gif.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

While I feel a few of them are pretty obvious, 23-21 will be the most difficult, especially the David Bowie one because as far as I know, only a few EoFFers have heard about that one. I'll give a hint to the GIFs to help you understand my logic.

29. Don't follow the quote, just the idea.
    28. The lyrics to the song this GIF is from is the clue. How well do you know your 90s music?
    27. Same as 28. How well do you know your 90s anime ending themes?
    26. The video game equivalent.
    25. Probably should have used the GIF from 29.
    24. Kind of obvious... and pretty recent. How well do you know your 70s anime?
    23. If you can guess 29, then just focus on the little kid aspect of the video.
    22. He's kind of a robot cop I guess.
    21. Don't focus on the words, just focus on which persona David Bowie is and think of that theme.
    20. I feel this one is obvious. Focus on what San is known as to help.

I'll probably have 29 up later today.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

OK so 27 is Bayonetta? And then 21 is Xenosaga because Ziggy Stardust?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    OK so 27 is Bayonetta? And then 21 is Xenosaga because Ziggy Stardust?
    Well considering I mentioned that Episode 1 was my favorite entry when I talked about it, the chances of the sequels showing up higher than it is looking slim. Besides, I also mentioned it was a game very few EoFFers have heard of, though I know Mirage is a fan of it.

I also can't fathom where you're getting bayonetta from 27. I've never even played it to be honest.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because it has Fly Me to the Moon for its main theme. Duh

So is it To the Moon then?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Because it has Fly Me to the Moon for its main theme. Duh

So is it To the Moon then?
    Fly me to the Moon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, I meant if the game is To The Moon. But judging by your response, I think I have my answer