Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718192021222327 ... LastLast

Thread: WK's Top something or other... let's just say "games" and call it good list.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I did not expect Chrono Cross to make the list, tbh. Personally, I loved the game, but I could never shake the impression that you didn't think too highly of it whenever I talked to you about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    So what has been your favorite game so far on this list, and which one surprised you the most?
    Probably Super Mario World or Mario 3. I get why they are quite high on the list though with them being platformers. Contra 3 as well.

All these three for me would be much higher. Although... what would it be ahead of?

*thinks about own list and explodes*

Actual favorite? Toss-up between Xenosaga, Dark Souls, and Dragon Quests, but the game I'm most impressed is on the list is Lufia.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFIX when

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I did not expect Chrono Cross to make the list, tbh. Personally, I loved the game, but I could never shake the impression that you didn't think too highly of it whenever I talked to you about it.
    Part of that might be because I usually either discuss the game in the context of it's battle mechanics, which I don't care for, or in relation to games it's similar to like Chrono Trigger or the Suikoden franchise. When I started this list, it was originally ranked at 100, but as I began to add more games and did comparison, it became obvious to me that CC was a better experience overall.

Another factor is that I know I have a tendency to be over-critical when discussing games, and that often overshadows my true feelings for games, making it unclear if I actually like some of the games I play. Part of the reason I did this list was to kind of overcome that reputation I've created for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    So what has been your favorite game so far on this list, and which one surprised you the most?
    Probably Super Mario World or Mario 3. I get why they are quite high on the list though with them being platformers. Contra 3 as well.

All these three for me would be much higher. Although... what would it be ahead of?

*thinks about own list and explodes*
    Tell me about it, the next couple of titles are games I thought would easily be in my top twenty, but after making the list, I realized I have too many games I love. If it wouldn't have driven me mad, I could have easily done a Top 200. There are like a dozen more arcade games I could have put on this list like Paperboy, 1942, Super Puzzle Fighter, and DarkStalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Actual favorite? Toss-up between Xenosaga, Dark Souls, and Dragon Quests, but the game I'm most impressed is on the list is Lufia.
    I think most people know I had a thing for Lufia when I brought up the Gaiden game in my Bottom RPG List, and when I convinced Fynn to do a Let's Play of Lufia 2. It is an incredibly overlooked game, but as I mentioned, it just had the misfortune of being released around some of the heavy hitters of the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    FFIX when
    You'll have to stay tune to find out.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The old school Nintendo games (SM3, SMW, original Zelda) are my personal favorites on your list so far.

The most surprising is Leisure Suit Larry. I mean, I liked it too. Those old Sierra games kick ass and there's probably 2-3 that would go on my list. I just never fathomed I'd ever see the words Leisure Suit Larry on this forum let alone in somebody's top 100 games list. My hat is off to you on that one sir.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    The old school Nintendo games (SM3, SMW, original Zelda) are my personal favorites on your list so far.

The most surprising is Leisure Suit Larry. I mean, I liked it too. Those old Sierra games kick ass and there's probably 2-3 that would go on my list. I just never fathomed I'd ever see the words Leisure Suit Larry on this forum let alone in somebody's top 100 games list. My hat is off to you on that one sir.
    That game is such an important part of my dysfunctional childhood, it would be a crime to omit it from the list. The real fun part about it was that while I was playing it, I was also going to a Southern Baptist private school, so I quickly became the unwholesome "worldly" kid cause I actually knew what sex was.

I'm actually happy someone knew the original series, cause most people only know the more recent, and frankly terrible, party game entries.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXII is my favorite of the list so far... and I have a feeling that might very well not change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    FFXII is my favorite of the list so far... and I have a feeling that might very well not change.
    Probably, since I have yet to really get around to the VN Genre, and the two FFs I know you love are two I particularly loathe (the Spira entries).

Then again, you never know, I still have 38 entries left on this list, and I can say now that I have two franchises I haven't even mentioned yet on this list that pop up in the top 30 or so.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have two franchises I haven't even mentioned yet on this list that pop up in the top 30 or so.
    I have the feeling they're not gonna be Call of Duty or FIFA?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, depending on how much you consider them to be two different series, I'm fairly confident Persona is one of those two franchises.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Ooh, Persona. I was trying and failing to think of a second one, because my first guess was Suikoden.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

38.One last arcade title for awhile, and the last that appeals to my nostalgic childhood. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the reason I got into the arcade scene as a child because I smurfing love TMNT back in the day. The game is another Konami made arcade brawler, but one that has some interesting variety and little elements that set it apart from the other two brawlers on this list. The plot is simple and typical of most of these types of games. The Turtles discover that someone has set fire to April O'Neil's apartment and they got to rescue her, only to discover the Foot Clan is there and Shredder kidnaps her. The turtles then explore the whole city, fighting the foot and several familiar characters while tracking her down. You eventually rescue her and then head to the Technodrome to battle it out with Krang and Shredder himself.From the name dropping, it's obvious this game is based on the 80s animated series with familiar faces like Bebop and Rocksteady, Baxter Stockman, Krang, Lt. Granitor and General Traag. There are also some of the cool robots and vehicles from the show as well like the party wagon, and those goddamn mousers. It's still based on the early seasons so a few really popular characters don't make appearances until the later arcade title. You can play as either of the four turtles and if you had the right machine, could play four player co-op which is super fun, especially if you get the right group of people together for it and actually start forming tactics together and mitigating resources properly. What set this game apart back in the day from other beat em' ups was the fact the four turtles play slightly different from each other. Leonardo is balanced, Michelangelo is stronger but has short range, Raphael is the fastest but does the least damage, while Donatello is the strongest but slowest. Most levels are beat em type stuff, but their is one vehicle stage where your characters skateboard down a highway, which is surprisingly one of the nastier levels due to feeling longer than the others. The rematch battle where you have to fight both Bebop and Rocksteady really stands out cause you can recreate the scene from the show where the two simultaneously charge at the turtles and you can move away to have them collide with each other and knock themselves out. In fact the game has many small touches like this, especially interactive environments like parking meters and manhole covers that can be used as additional weapons. I used to play this game every chance I could get, especially since I was a huge fan of the franchise growing up. It lead me to force my dad to look for arcades which eventually lead me to find other games like Pac-Man, X-Men arcade, and eventually Street Fighter. So in a lot of ways, this was kind of a gateway title for me. It did get ported a few times. I own the NES port which only has two player co-op, uglier graphics and replaced the Bebop and Rocksteady fight with a new battle with Baxter Stockman's fly form, and added two new stages with unique bosses made for the game. I heard X-Box Live got a port, and I just found out today that some awful TMNT party game for the PS2 has it as an unlockable, so I may take the plunge to find it, if only to relive my childhood once more.
    The game also got a really cool sequel in the form of the superior Turtles in Time, but due to Street Fighter taking over the arcade scene and beat-em ups kind of falling out of favor, I never got as much exposure to that game as I would like. It didn't help that I had already begun transitioning from the kid-friendly TV show to the darker X-Men comic books and series. Still, I played enough to know it's a pretty great sequel that is better than the original, but it's hard not to remember your first.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My favorite game on the list so far is Majora's Mask.

The most surprising entry so far for me is Metal Gear 2, because I'm one of like 3 people I know who've played that game in its entirety.

I have fond memories of the Turtles Arcade game, even if I've only played it a couple times.
    Returners Represent!

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES
    TEENAGE MUTANT TURTLES

HERO'S IN A HALF SHELL

TURTLE POWER !!!