Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11212526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: WK's Top something or other... let's just say "games" and call it good list.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah, definite red herring.

Come on, Mr Canoe. Please put us out of our misery.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between Persona and SMT? I thought they were the same series :0

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

SMT is an overarching series that focuses on rebirth and metamorphosis. They're not really a continuation of each other, but they contain the same themes. They often take place in a post-apocalyptic world and involve opposing factions based on character alignment, philosophy, or other divisive features. The persona games are a subset of these games. The main difference is that they take place in more conventional, modern settings, such as high schools and modern day japan.

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    SMT is an overarching series that focuses on rebirth and metamorphosis. They're not really a continuation of each other, but they contain the same themes. They often take place in a post-apocalyptic world and involve opposing factions based on character alignment, philosophy, or other divisive features. The persona games are a subset of these games. The main difference is that they take place in more conventional, modern settings, such as high schools and modern day japan.
    Thanks for clarifying! If one was to try one of these games, which one would you recommend to start off with?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    Thanks for clarifying! If one was to try one of these games, which one would you recommend to start off with?
    I have not played nearly enough of any entries aside from Persona's 3-5 to have a useful opinion at all, but of those I will say you can't really go wrong with starting at 3. If you liked it you'd like the later Persona's probably. I certainly did anyway.

I need to play some of the other SMT games. Between PS2 classics on my PS3 and a number of games sitting around the house unplayed I can't say I have many excuses.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I strongly recommend avoiding the original two Shin Megami games, as well as their SNES remakes. You can find english-patched roms of them but you really don't want to. The third game is Nocturn, which is amazing, but not the greatest starting point. It might be better to start with a game that lets you ease into the combat difficulty as well as the shear weirdness of the series. Persona 3 and 4 are really great choices to start with. My first was 4. Really, just look them both up and pick the one that looks more interesting. The Digital Devil and Devil Summoner franchises are even lighter, but I feel like they really miss out on what the theme as a whole is.
    Last edited by theundeadhero; 10-25-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Nah, definite red herring.

Come on, Mr Canoe. Please put us out of our misery.
    You're going to have to wait I'm afraid, I'm focusing on finishing my Halloween story for the contest tonight so I won't really have time to write up the next entry since it's going to be a bit of a doozy.

I did plan on either opening up the thread or making a new thread about games that people thought would show up on this list but didn't, because I have a few interesting comments on why some titles people may have thought were a shoe in didn't make it here.

To pass the time though:

What has been the biggest surprise for you on this list?
    What is your favorite game so far on this list?
    Have you thought about checking out any entry I've mentioned?

@Pete for President: theundeadhero summed up the differences nicely. Persona is certainly the gateway series in terms of accessibility but considering your background with FFX and Dark Souls, I think you're more than ready to appreciate the mainline entries. SMTIV is a good place to start since it was largely designed to be a gateway entry, I have a write up on it for this list though I honestly feel Nocturne is not a bad place to start either since it was the game that got me interested in the franchise to start with.

One thing I forgot to mention about the franchise is that the games all come with a Compendium that serves several in-game functions but it also contains a short bio for every demon, god, or monster that appears in the game and they are pretty well researched from an academic standpoint. So if you've ever been interested in mythology or world religions, you can learn some really cool info from playing the series as well. It's another prime reason why I love the franchise.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Agreed that Persona and SMTIV are the best gateway drugs. Go with IV if yoi want to jump right into SMT, or try Persona 3. If you like P3, try 4 and then work your way up from 1 to the two 2s. Cant comment on 5 yet.

Soul Hackers is also a pretty goo starting point as something kinda between Persona and mainline SMT. It has a lighter tone and is part of he Persona timeline, but has all the mechanics of mainline. Its super fun! Or, if you want somethng closer to a more conventional JRPG, try he Digital Devl Saga dulogy

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Biggest surprise so far is you posting anything FFVII related in the top ten at all, even if it is a red herring.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Biggest surprise: Leisure Suit Larry. I love the pick, just didn't ever expect someone else to put one of those old school Sierra games in their top 100.

Favorite mentioned: I'll leave this a secret since I'm working on my own Top 100 list to post here. I will say that at least one of your top 10 games you've mentioned so far are also in mine.

Thought about checking out: Wild Arms! I'm going to start it soon. I may also try out an SMT game in the future, probably IV since it is on a handheld system.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, it's pretty obvious what #4 is if you just read the quote from the end out loud.

I actually have a list Im pretty confident the order of :
    (SPOILER)
    #4 Xenogears
    #3 MGS 3
    #2 FFVI
    #1 Chrono Trigger

Not 100% on 2 and 3 being in the right order. I only put #2 in its spot because I saw Wolf talk about it much more, but I could be wrong, since bias. But I'm pretty sure #1 and #4 are in the right spot.

Biggest surprise: Chrono Cross being here, but I already elaborated on that. I'm also a bit surprised that Kingdom Hearts BBS or Days are not on this list since I remember WK being one of the biggest sidegame apologists aside from me in this regard
    Favorite mentioned: Persona 3. That game only keeps climbing up my ranking.
    Want to check out: that one rhythm game that looked cool but I forgot the name of

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Two birds with one stone: One of my personal favourite surprise picks is Colonization. I used to play the hell out of it on the Amiga as a wee lad and it holds a special place in my sentimental heart. I'm surprised as it's old and somewhat overshadowed by its big sibling Civilization which I also love - Civ 1 for life!

The game you inspired me the most to play was Suikoden II. Although I do have a long backlog (still haven't done Witcher 3, sorry Fynn! currently working on FFIV TAY!) so I can't guarantee I'll play it anytime soon, but you definitely put it on the map.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

(I mean, you're still doing it wrong if you're starting with 3, so whatever )

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In a surprise upset, the next game turns out to be Rhapsody!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Suikoden II is bae, hope you enjoy it Psy~