Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is something you like/love about this game that other people hate? (X Edition)

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is more "like" or "don't find as bad", but here are my examples (two of them have gone already.)

1. Tidus - he didn't even seem that whiney to me back then, so I was surprised that this was people's criticism of him, but looking back I can see it ("We can't just skip all that, can we?") He seemed pretty balanced in a way, like he had moments where he complained or had negative emotions, but he had more upbeat moments too, in my opinion. As much as I like Squall, I think it's good to have protagonists who actually show their emotions, rather than keep them hidden (both can be good if written well.)

2. The laughing scene - I get that it's supposed to sound bad at the very least.

3. The voice acting - some of it isn't even bad in my opinion, and there are parts that sound well acted and at least give the emotion they're supposed to (I watched the scene, where Tidus finds out what acquiring the Final Aeon would really mean, and I genuinely had tears in my eyes.) The parts that do sound bad, I don't even think was due to bad acting, but rather bad direction - the voice actors/actresses themselves don't sound bad to me, but rather it seems like they weren't properly instructed as to how to read their lines, and I'm convinced they recorded some of it in separate rooms as well. Also, some of them (if not all) weren't newcomers to voice acting like people seem to think, so it's not like they didn't know how to act - some at least, are famous for voice acting, so I think any time the voice acting sounded bad, it was more likely the director's fault, and/or that they were (most likely) in separate rooms while recording.

FFXIV Character

Seren Sabouk (Malboro)

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    The voice acting - some of it isn't even bad in my opinion, and there are parts that sound well acted and at least give the emotion they're supposed to (I watched the scene, where Tidus finds out what acquiring the Final Aeon would really mean, and I genuinely had tears in my eyes.) The parts that do sound bad, I don't even think was due to bad acting, but rather bad direction - the voice actors/actresses themselves don't sound bad to me, but rather it seems like they weren't properly instructed as to how to read their lines, and I'm convinced they recorded some of it in separate rooms as well. Also, some of them (if not all) weren't newcomers to voice acting like people seem to think, so it's not like they didn't know how to act - some at least, are famous for voice acting, so I think any time the voice acting sounded bad, it was more likely the director's fault, and/or that they were (most likely) in separate rooms while recording.
    Thisssssss!
    I thought the voice acting was actually great all around (a sentiment shared by....no one? i guess?) and never understood why virtually everyone else thought otherwise. Now that you mention it, yeah, I guess it's disjointed, but that never bothered me in the slightest. What also puzzles me is why XII's voice acting (read: Vaan's) is seen so much more favourably than, say, Tidus', when to me Vaan sounds like he's literally reading from a piece of paper.
    Chief Tobli hash gone ballishtic?

Hard to judge 12 voice acting. Much of it is delivered dryly without any emotion, but it seems like it's written that way too. It's certainly a bad overall result, but I'm not sure I can blame the acting per se.

FFX easily has better voice acting overall though. The exception is Yuna because of the absolutely ridiculous pace they had her deliver her lines to try to match the dubbing up. That was a terrible choice which I blame on the direction and the translation more than the actress.