Thread: Your thoughts on the Live Action Disney Movies ? Thoughts on upcoming ones ?

Default Your thoughts on the Live Action Disney Movies ? Thoughts on upcoming ones ?

Jungle Book : Okay, not bad. Though it just lacks the fun and the jive of the original. Nothing can beat the original Share Khan and Baloo. Was it needed ? Probably, the original movie is very "1960's " and is a bit outdated.

Cinderella : Amazing costumes. Though they just made Cinderella insane ? Hated the bit where she's locked up, and she just....dances around the room ? In the animated classic, Cinderella acts realistically and screams and cries and panics and gets anxious. This Cinderella is just "tee hee " and twirls her dress around. Just, really ruined the movie for me. Really loved how Cinderella and the Prince have a better relationship though, and the Prince actually has character and isn't just a "handsome " cardboard cutout. The 1950s Cinderella just felt more real and more smart. She knew that she was in a abusive household and had to be smart to survive or be kicked out in the street. This Cinderella just felt like, she was one step towards a asylum.

Beauty And The Beast : Honestly ? It was wasn't needed. Beauty And The Beast was originally fine on it's own, minus a few nitpicks and for some reason people thinking Belle had Stockholm Syndrome, even though she doesn't ? You can tell Disney did this for the $ and it worked. I mean, the original was a Oscar nominated movie for a reason. Emma Watson is a TERRIBLE BELLE. She cannot sing. Evermore was a nice edition, trying to make a character gay to try and get LGBT + people in the cinema for a 2 second scene was not. Being LGBT + myself, it just felt like Disney was doing it for the "points ", than just doing it because they care. Other LGBT people may feel different though.

Dumbo : Honestly looking forward towards this one, because the story of Dumbo is really emotional, cute and touching, it's just that the animated original is well, VEEEEEEERERRRY, very, very, very, very, very racist.

Mulan : No songs ? No Li Shang ? No Thankyou ! IT COUUULD be good and better than the animated original, but at the moment. Not interested lol.

Aladdin : Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie, so yes, anxious as hECK towards this one. Really hoping to love and adore both versions. But this just screams " $ " like Beauty and the Beast and Mulan.

Your thoughts ??

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I have enjoyed the ones i've seen and am okay with more It allows some classics to find new life with new fans, I'm okay with that. I still have the originals if they aren't that great.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's good in principle but there are so many of them. I'm sort of expecting live-action Little Mermaid soon.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't really care about them unless it gets to the point where my kids see these as the 'real' versions and don't like the animated versions. We are indoctrinating them into slew of the animated movies right now so it shouldn't be an issue.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'm bitter about them, but I don't really have a good reason to be. Bleck! all the same.

Some Text Here.

I guess they aren't necessary, but they're enjoyable enough. Some stories are bigger than the version I happened to grow up with and I'm okay with that.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I've enjoyed them all so far. Some were better than others but none of them have been anything less than solid.

I'm not really looking forward to Mulan as much as the others, because if what I've heard about it is true, it's not Mulan at all. I can see them getting away with no songs (Cinderella forwent any songs, and it came out perfect), but the fact that they're changing the story and removing main characters makes it sound disastrous. Maybe they're going for the alternate telling of the story thing like Maleficent did with Sleeping Beauty?

I don't know how I feel about Will Smith playing Genie in Aladdin. It could either be really good or god awful.

I also don't know how they're going to pull off a live-action The Lion King and make us take it seriously. Of course The Jungle Book managed to do it and completely amazed me by just how well it did so.

None of them could replace their animated counter parts though.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I'd take all rumours about Mulan with a massive pinch of salt for the moment. The other week the internet was abuzz over an article that Disney couldn't find anyone to play Aladdin/Jasmine and a few days later that article was shown up to be BS. People just like finding stuff to get angry about.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

I'm not into these Live Action Remakes at all. When I was a kid my family collected the "Animated Classics" so I took notice of them early on as a special sort of thing.

I kinda wish they'd take the effort and energy theyre putting into these Live Action movies and just dedicate it to the next Classic. It wont bother me if we have 2 animated Classics a year rather than one.

Even if I wouldnt be too hyped they also could pour this energy into making new Live Action things Ive never heard of. A good movie is a good movie and if they put out some successful Live Action stuff that was new I think theyd get more respect than these remakes are netting them.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have seen Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, and Maleficent if it counts, and I enjoyed them.

I actually love the idea of these movies, because I not only enjoy remakes (I love seeing different interpretations of the same thing), but also because I love seeing non-live action things becoming live action, because I enjoy seeing how they do it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

stop
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Speaking as a writer, I honestly think that these are more likely created because it's what the writer wanted to do, rather than the money. Considering the fact that making a remake is always a risk, because not many people like them, it is more likely they are doing it "because they can" rather than thinking of the money.

I'm sure no one would scoff at the idea of making money, but when it comes to writing it is usually more because you wanted to do it (and take it from someone who is interested in doing his own version of things - remakes, adaptations, and the like can be fun to make, at least I find them fun).