Thread: Hardest dungeon in the series.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Question Hardest dungeon in the series.

So before we get started, I'm not going to allow super dungeons like the one from X-2. If it contains the game's superboss or is filled with enemies that are stronger than anything from the final dungeon, it doesn't count. I'm placing this restriction because this would quickly become a short list since a few dungeons in the series were designed to be hard as smurf as an extra challenge. I'm talking about a regular dungeon you dread because of difficulty from the enemies, puzzles, or maybe it has that one token boss you hate.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Snowcloak from ffxiv. Its so boring I fall asleep before I finish. So its hard.

Serious though: probabky the floating continent in ffvi. Surprising cos its generally an easy game but I always encounter some problem there. If not that then exdeaths castle ffv. Pretty tiugh that place. Even worse when you get an encounter on lava and havent leveled your geomancer

I guess either Lunar Subterraine or Orphan's Cradle as Final Dungeon.

Giant of Babil on DS. The DS version of IV is perverted with all the counter attacks and the CPU almost always with Laser Beams.

Normal: Floating Continent and Phoenix Cave.

The FF3DS dungeons where you can't save.

Or is that cheating?

FFIX's Desert Palace is pretty tough and tricky. It was the area I was most terrified of when I replayed IX with difficulty mods. My favorite bit of trivia is that, since most every enemy is a caster, if you try to Silence them, they will obliterate you because they have insane physical stats. Or so I've heard.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    The FF3DS dungeons where you can't save.

Or is that cheating?

FFIX's Desert Palace is pretty tough and tricky. It was the area I was most terrified of when I replayed IX with difficulty mods. My favorite bit of trivia is that, since most every enemy is a caster, if you try to Silence them, they will obliterate you because they have insane physical stats. Or so I've heard.
    challenge accepted

Lunar Subterraine in FFIV was the hardest one for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I just finished FFIV Steam and yeah, the Lunar Subterrane was actually pretty tricky. I nearly died twice. The annoying thing is, there's no save points until the seventh floor, and floors one to six are difficult enough. It's full of optional yet difficult boss encounters, and at the end they just go 'screw it' and make Behemoths pretty much the only encounter on the last floor.

They're actually pretty easy. Just long.

Shout-out to the Farplane in X-2 though for having grating music puzzles.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I just finished FFIV Steam and yeah, the Lunar Subterrane was actually pretty tricky. I nearly died twice. The annoying thing is, there's no save points until the seventh floor, and floors one to six are difficult enough. It's full of optional yet difficult boss encounters, and at the end they just go 'screw it' and make Behemoths pretty much the only encounter on the last floor.

They're actually pretty easy. Just long.

Shout-out to the Farplane in X-2 though for having grating music puzzles.
    For the last area of lunar subterrane. Theres a cheap thing you can do. Run away from everything. The zemus breath though is easy to kill so you can get some last minute levels from him. But I see what you mean about the rest. It is pretty tough if you try for the special weapons.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Ice Cave in Final Fantasy, in the versions where you can't save everywhere (i.e. NES, WSC or PSX). The difficulty of this dungeon lies in the enemies having instant kill moves, and you don't have good protection against them yet. It may happen wherever in the dungeon that you get ambushed by 9 Socerers, who paralyze your entire party and use their physical attacks, which randomly cause instant death, to wipe out your party before you get a single turn. Alternatively, you may run into a group of Mages, who ambush your party and cast Firaga and Scourge (instant kill on everyone), once again, before you get a single turn. Other enemies include 9 undead monsters who paralyze your characters (again, tough if they ambush you), and several Frost Wolves who use ice storm attacks to cause damage to everyone (hurts a lot if there's many of them and they ambush you).

As for the dungeon layout, you first navigate through the cave to get all the items, then you pick up the Levistone, and finally you'll need to travel through half of the dungeon again to get out of there. Usually I just get all the treasures first, exit and save, and then I speedrun to the Levistone and exit, hoping I won't run into an unlucky ambush.

IMHO, no other compulsory dungeon in the FF series comes even close in terms of difficulty, although FFIII and FFIV have some really harsh dungeons too, especially when you have to face tough enemies for a long time without a chance to save.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I would have to agree with Lunar Subterrane.

I seem to recall the pyramid in FFV being especially perilous, but I can't remember exactly why. Aren't you short a member during it as well?

FFIII Crystal Tower wasn't super hard on my run, just stressful.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I didn't realize the Lunar Subterrane was that hard; I just ran away from everything when I was a kid, lol. Or is this the DS/Steam version specifically?
    Returners Represent!