Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has your opinion of this game changed since 2006

Default Has your opinion of this game changed since 2006

You know, for those playing The Zodiac Age.

I always liked it, but now I'm loving it. I don't know if it's a change in me or the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Since 2006? Hoo boy

So, prior to playing TZA, I actually played this game 3 different times. In 2006, I enjoyed it until the story thinned out at the Nam Yensa Sandsea. I got bored with the game and dropped it. I picked it up again maybe a year later and hated the game's offline MMO gameplay, and how slow it felt when I needed to heal up (silly me never thought to turn the ATB speed up). I eventually rage quit in the Ozmone Plain looking for Mjrn. I played it a third time after graduating High School (around the same time I picked up Vagrant Story) and I fell in love. I took my time, read all the flavor text from the bestiary and NPC conversations, took hunts and utilized the loot chain system. I had to realize that FFXII is just a slower experience.

ANYWAY, TZA pretty much took one of my favorite games in the series and made it better. Picking a job for some characters was intimidating, but having each character feel totally unique is a really great feeling. I don't really get why the more physical combat heavy jobs have skills the recover MP at this point in the game tho.
    Returners Represent!

Yes, very much ! FFXII used to be my least favorite Final Fantasy. I used to very strongly despise it. Now those feelings are more aimed at FFIII lol. I love FFXII's cast of characters, and gameplay. I don't strongly love FFXII - but it's a very warm okay. Still not a fan of the governmental plot and the sandy, dry atmosphere of the game and FFXII lacks a solid main character.

Yes! This game was definitely an acquired taste for me. I grew to like it over time. In fact I didn't finish it until about a year or two ago.

I am having a lot of fun with the job system, but it does seem a bit too easy at times, so I plan to do a run without second jobs. I think that may a bit more pure to the original intent of the job system and also provide a more enjoyable challenge.

I thought the job choice addition was fun, I've always enjoyed assigning jobs and task of that nature. That's really the only difference I've noticed so far, but I haven't gotten to far through it. I'm maybe a little bit farther than my 2006 play through only because my PS 2 at the time gave up on me and took a while to purchase a new one, being fresh out of High School at the time it didn't take long to get a new system.
    - I'm getting sick of this! Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you! - Sabin (FFVI)

- Shut up! You spoony Bard! - Tella (FFIV)

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post
    I always liked it, but now I'm loving it.
    These are my feelings exactly.

It took me about five years (no joke) to decide I liked the game, so I guess the answer is sort of yes?

Zodiac is a huge improvement and I don't know what the frack was keeping them from releasing the PS2 version outside of Japan way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Not really. It’s still probably my favorite numbered FF.
    Fynn is going to have " Final Fantasy 12 was the best one " written on his grave.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Not really. It’s still probably my favorite numbered FF.
    Fynn is going to have " Final Fantasy 12 was the best one " written on his grave.
    But where’s the lie

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

TZA is so good I might be starting to agree with him. So I guess my opinion of the game has changed since it was maybe number 2 or 3 at best for me before. I'm just really loving this.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not really, but I enjoyed the original back in the day as well. I will say that TZA is a great improvement over the original, but there are still things kept in both games that were pretty groundbreaking even now.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I enjoyed it the first time around, and TZA made several improvements, but I really dislike how much LP is wasted once you max your two boards. Its hard to tell which I prefer more, the speed boost from TZA or the open board from the original. Probably the speed boost.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Even with the previous board, you maxed it out a long time before the end of the game.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I remember maxing it out pretty fast back in the day.