Thread: What's the Hype with Sonic 3?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default What's the Hype with Sonic 3?

DISCLAIMER: I like Sonic 3. I think it's a great follow up to Sonic 2; I LOVE the shield mechanics, I like its music, I like the way Acts and Zones lead into one another, I think the Special Stages are a huge improvement, and I like the addition of bonus stages. That being said, with the hype leading up to Sonic Mania, I've always wondered what makes this game THE Sonic game.

To clarify, I'm talking about this game as it stands on its own, not when paired with Sonic and Knuckles. Whenever I play S3&K, I find myself pushing through the first half of the game to get to the second. I guess what I liked about Sonic 2 was how short the levels were if you knew the proper route (and had the skill to stay on it), and what I like about S&K is it's deliberately slower, more gimmicky levels and a greater emphasis on platforming (in some strange way, they feel more like 2D Sonic Adventure levels). My experience with Sonic 3 is in this weird middle ground, where the levels feel really long regardless of the path you take and for some stages, the gimmicks irritate me more than anything. I especially hate the traps in Marble Garden, and everyone knows about Carnival Night Act 2.

I don't hate this game, I just want someone who enjoys it to share the love, because I want to enjoy S3&K as a whole package.
    Returners Represent!

I don't know either ? Sonic 3 is my least favorite of the original trilogy because of that smurfing barrel in the carnival level. I'm guessing maybe because Sonic 3 if you include the Knuckles part has more levels than the usual Sonic game, and more content. Always prefer Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 though. Sonic 1 has Labyrinth, but it's not as obnoxious as that barrel and the music is beautiful. If you take away the barrel issue, Sonic 3 just feels like a very full game compared to 2 and 1. Also more playable characters and the Knuckles storyline.

Just a guess though. I'm not really fond of the " nostalgiaaaaaaa merp merp merp " answer.

Well, if I think about it, Sonic 3 is my least favorite of the original games simply due to level and music preferences, so I assume that people who really enjoy the game especially enjoy the stages and music. Probably. Maybe. Or because Knuckles punches your Eggman floaty thing in Launchpad and falls into the water. That part is good.

I'm not sure how to properly boast about the first half of my all time favorite game.

For one it brought a ton to the table after Sonic 2. More detailed zones, larger and with multiple *significant* paths (you can remain outside in Ice Cap Act 2 for example). All of them had a design that switched things up so it didn't grow stale (Angel Island set on fire, lights out in Carnival Night, nearing the Death Egg in Launch Base). The zone transitions were great as well.

Music. Sonic music is always good and this is no exception. In fact it's sad that some tracks get cut in S3&K (Title, Knuckles, mini boss, and credits). Even the PC replacement music is good which I imagine not a lot of people have heard. Same goes for the 2-player stages. Don't forget the King of Pop.

I think the bosses were more challenging and fun. It didn't have any slogfests like the Sandopolis mini boss or Lava Reef boss. There's also Big Arm that's cut from Sonic's run.

But I'm bias here. I don't think I did a very god job explaining why Sonic 3 is "good." I just love it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nah, I definitely feel that. In terms of presentation, Sonic 3 is the strongest by far. As much as I love Sonic 2's OST, it has its share of meh songs. You also brought up a great point with the bosses.

It could just be me; maybe I haven't played the game enough, or maybe the levels are so big I never noticed, but I never really appreciated the different pathways. I can go through Chemical Plant and Aquatic Ruin without entering the water, but I've yet to find a similar route through Hydrocity, or a route through Marble Garden that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. It could just be that Sonic 3 is an intentionally slower experience, and I'm expecting it to be more like Sonic 2.
    Returners Represent!

Have you ever played Sonic 3 as Knuckles? For the most part a very different experience.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Knuckles is actually my favorite character; he's my first pick for Mania! Though admittedly, in Sonic 3&K I don't think I've ever gone further than Marble Garden Zone as him; I remember it being way harder than it is in Sonic's mode. I should go through it again...
    Returners Represent!

It is definitely harder, but at least it's not Knuckles in Sonic 2 Death Egg hard.

I played through that a couple days ago and it took me over 20 minutes to beat the final boss as him. I was just testing out some recording and captured my incompetence instead.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Man, that fight is roooooooooough with Knuckles. It's more a test of your patience than a test of your skill. Damn jump height
    Returners Represent!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I love the game. I know I am the weirdo here, but I really love Sonic 3 on its own. Reminds me of good times. That soundtrack. Hydro City? Awww yes. Sort of progressive. Like Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge7 View Post
    Man, that fight is roooooooooough with Knuckles. It's more a test of your patience than a test of your skill. Damn jump height
    Can't jump over the arms, the fast way is such a tiny hitbox, the safe, slow way isn't safe at all do to falling through Death Egg Robot at times, asdkfeuihi23dckvneon

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I love the game. I know I am the weirdo here, but I really love Sonic 3 on its own. Reminds me of good times. That soundtrack. Hydro City? Awww yes. Sort of progressive. Like Yes!
    Now that you mention it, I can kinda hear their 80's stuff in there. "Leave It" is my jam
    Returners Represent!

I got the impression Sonic 2 was always the most well regarded

Articles
    Blog Entries

I did too, but there seems to be a pretty even split between fans of 2 and 3. At least whenever I talk to people about the Genesis games
    Returners Represent!