Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Love the game, hate the soundtrack...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, I totally see it. It took a while for the DQ OSTs to grow on me since they're pretty traditionalist and neo-classical, almost to a fault. I learned to respect them later on because the composer is actually actively contributing to Japan's artistic music scene, so it's awesome a high profile composer decided to make video game music and I've really found stuff that I like about his music, despite its general approach no being my cup of tea.

Too bad the dude is an actual human trash can though

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll agree on Dragon Quest. They're pleasant enough but there's a serious lack of tracks for games that can easily take 100 hours of game time. Not to mention most of them are recycled so they as a whole are designed to apply to as many situations as possible, increasinghow dull they are.

VI has interesting use of horns and brass so it's prob the best, III's is probably the most generic of the series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree with VI being best since there is a very prevalent leitmotif present in pretty much all the tracks that really adds character to the whole thing, but I think IX and X are actually the weakest. I feel Sugiyama is maybe running out of steam after VIII.

Pretty much every Naughty Dog game. I didn't care much for Skies of Arcadia's soundtrack, though that game isn't exactly one of my favourites. I find TWEWY's soundtrack overrated, maybe I just have a low tolerance for unintelligible Engrishy Jpop.

Fallout...? I'm trying to think if there are examples in more than just 3 and 4, and I imagine there have to be, but I can't remember New Vegas having annoyingly bombastic old diddies, and I didn't play the originals far enough in to know what kind of music is strung through. But some of their choices in old music. While I like a certain style of old bluesy jazz rock, and I think those would really enhance the games and atmosphere, they are rarely what's chosen for those games. I can't say I actively hate the Sinatra style, but it's not something I want to actively choose to listen to either, especially when I'm getting my brains spilled out. I like the more solemn coffee shop / jazz club noir stuff. Which is sprinkled in there here and there. But mostly it's just a lot of out of place poppin' tunes that fit more with the flash-back / virtual reality segments that are actually more 50s than the rotting desolate bullet and blood ridden wastelands