Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love the game, hate the soundtrack...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Love the game, hate the soundtrack...

What's a game you love that has a soundtrack you don't particularly care for. Maybe not hate, you can simply be indifferent to it as well.

I don't LOVE the game, but FFX-2's soundtrack isn't thrilling at all. Aside from the title theme and 1000 Words I can barely recall any tracks from it. If I heard any I might not even recognize it for that matter.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Thats pretty hard. Music is very high on what makes a game enjoyable for me.
    I wouldnt say i either love the game or hate the soundtrack. Games pretty good but most of the soundtrack is kinda forgettable for me and..... its chrono trigger.

Though the songs that are memorable are pretty great

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The music when you change ends in Super Tennis on the SNES makes me cringe more than anything in gaming music history. Luckily, you are given the option to skip it. If you've put your pad down for a second though your day could be ruined.

It is still my favourite tennis game of all time though.

FF X-2's soundtrack gives me a headache.

I...like FFX-2's soundtrack....

I played Tales of Berseria recently and while I enjoyed the game, the music wasn't memorable to me at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I thought FFX-2 was pretty groovin'. In some ways, it's what I wanted the Persona 5 soundtrack to be (I say some, because that OST is still phenomenal).

This is a surprisingly tough question; I'll leave my defense of X-2 here and come back in a bit once I have an answer.

OKAY, so I LOVE Super Mario RPGs soundtrack, but that battle theme is SUPER repetitive and grating. Otherwise, I can't really think of any game I've loved where I thought the entire OST was meh.

EDIT NUMBER 2: Okay, not an RPG, but it still feels relevant. So I love Street Fighter Alpha 3, but literally every character theme sounds the same while I'm playing. It's better when I listen to them on their own, but I was never a fan.
    Last edited by Edge7; 07-22-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    Returners Represent!

I don't hate the Tales of soundtracks, but they are not memorable. You get the occasional good one like Legendia or a few songs in Zestiria. Basically, when they branched out and used a new composer. Hmm, same with Diablo III. I couldn't hum a single song besides one they reused from the first game.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

It's not an RPG, but Command & Conquer 3. The C&C series has had great music with Frank Klepacki, but C&C3 music was really forgettable and bland (composed by the guy who did the music for Transformers movies). Otherwise it's probably my favorite game in the series.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, I'll go with FFX-2, also. There are some real gems, but most of the soundtrack is underwhelming.

Overall, how much I like a soundtrack is tied to how much I like a game. Can't really have one without the other, to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sefie1999AD View Post
    It's not an RPG, but Command & Conquer 3. The C&C series has had great music with Frank Klepacki, but C&C3 music was really forgettable and bland (composed by the guy who did the music for Transformers movies). Otherwise it's probably my favorite game in the series.
    yeah klepacki made those games what they were

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I... cant think of an example, honestly? Usually bad music in a game makes me REALLY not like the game itself (Xenosaga II), so mostly I enjoy the soundtracks to games I like

I guess the soundtracks to FFIII and VIII are what I'd consider meh. I can count the number of really good FFIII tracks on one hand while VIII is severely overrated and I have no idea how so many people can consider it the best one. Both still good, I guess, just not *great*

Articles
    Blog Entries

X-2 is a choice I agree with. A lot of the tracks are just overproduced or break immersion. Some of the works with horns and brass are fun, Memories of Lightwaves gives me chills, and 1000 Words is excellent, but the rest? Mehhhh

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

No hate, but there are a few soundtracks I don't care about in RPGs I like/love. They'll have one or two great tracks but the rest will just be forgettable.

Diablo (any of them), pretty much any Compile Heart game (Neptunia, Fairy Fencer F)

Also, a special nod to Zelda: Breath of the Wild (I don't consider it an RPG but know many do so I figured I'd mention it) for having the worst generic combat music ever, which drags the OST down five notches.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I finally figured one out for me, because as some have mentioned, having a good soundtrack is kind of imperative to my enjoyment.

Fynn will disagree with me of course, but I have honestly never cared much for the Dragon Quest Soundtracks. Like a few core legacy themes are pretty catchy, but beyond that they all sound the same to me. Like the style is distinct enough I could probably make an educated guess that it was a from a DQ title, but I would be at a total loss to pick which entry.