Thread: Episode Prompto Impressions

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Default Episode Prompto Impressions

So I just completed Episode Prompto. It took me just under two and a half hours, which is an hour longer than what it took me to complete Episode Gladiolus. It could have took me longer if I bothered with the side quests but I wasn't inclined; all you achieve from that is materials to upgrade your snow mobile to go faster and jump higher in a boring, mostly empty snowy area. The game play itself is "ok" - it is what it is; a third person shooter with a teeny weeny bit of stealth thrown in, with some terrible camera angles and aiming mechanics to add to the mix. You have a selection of six weapons: A standard handgun with infinite ammo, a melee blade, a bazooka, sniper rifle, machine gun and grenades. You can only hold one large weapon at a time but they are dotted all around the place and you can steal them from enemies when you stagger them too. The story content is much better than Gladio's which was extremely light, but at times it's like "OK, why wasn't this mentioned at least once in the main game?" If you want to know more about Prompto and don't mind some at times dodgy gameplay, give it a go as it actually builds upon his character nicely.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Prompto was already my favorite character in the game and this just made me like him even more. It's odd that the deeper character got deeper DLC and the more one dimensional character didn't get DLC that built him up.

This episode was also very forgiving (not that Episode Gladiolus was a challenge). My playthrough was pretty sloppy and I still didn't have much trouble except for a couple of the mechs. Most of the time you don't even need to take weapons off of enemies as there are racks of them all over the place.

I'm also on Team Aranea now.

Love it, cried so much

I really loved it. I just wanted to hug Prompto all the time xD It's very interesting to learn about his backstory, he's such a sweet boy. And I'm glad he was teamed up with Aranea. She's like his cool big sister hehe!

Just beat Episode Prompto.

This DLC is...a mess. Episode Prompto is a reflection of what people complained about with Resident Evil 6. Too many different ideas executed poorly instead of staying true to the series' roots.

I found the gun gameplay to be fairly poor. Stealth aspects were underused and out of place. Poor snowmobile controls and movement. Feeding you lore and information in the form of collectables scattered across the episode. Aranea's presence feels entirely like fanservice and a little bit forced. Even Prompto's own personal struggle was hard to get invested in because of the lack of buildup behind it. Lastly, holding R1 for five minutes to kill a bullet sponge of a final boss is really disappointing.

There are a lot of things that Episode Gladio did right that this act gets wrong. Hopefully Episode Ignis is more like Gladio's DLC.
    Last edited by Scruffington; 07-06-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I agree that the audio logs were a lazy decision and the final boss was a joke but even with that I still felt this DLC had more substance than Gladio's.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    I agree that the audio logs were a lazy decision and the final boss was a joke but even with that I still felt this DLC had more substance than Gladio's.
    I kind of disagree.

Gladio's story DLC had a self-contained plot. He's going to fight Gilgamesh to get stronger to help Noct, and he's being guided by Cor who has previously attempted the trial. It gave more background story on Cor than the game ever showed in 60+ hours, and had a clearly-told story from start to finish. Had the rest of FFXV been like Episode Gladio, it would have been a much better game.

Pull my Devil Trigger!