Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EoFF Book Club - August - The Glass Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries

Also, I honestly haven't thought about how people would like to decide who chooses the next month's book. I'm happy to go last in a rotation, but any thoughts on this are very welcome.

Obviously, Jinx has gone first, so whatever way we decide to do it, Jinx is first in the ordering.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Could just do it randomly; assign everyone a number and let a random number generator do the job. Probably the most fair method of picking an order (if people think that matters in a book club )

For what it's worth, I'd prefer not to be the one to pick the September one. I have a book in mind but it's longer than the suggestions I've seen so far, plus no idea if it's commonly available at libraries. Given those two factors, I'd rather give people a bigger heads-up than two weeks for my suggestion

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I almost have the book! One person ahead of me at the library! I would like us to figure out our next one though in case I have to put another hold on it and wait.

I actually have the kingkiller book one, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, on my shelf gathering dust cause I haven't bothered reading it yet for some unknown reason. I know we were just mentioning it in the Game of Thrones thread. It is a little bit of a longer fantasy. That could be a suggestion? I have a few on my shelf I haven't read yet. I tend to buy books to read and then buy more books and never get to the previous ones. I also have The Magicians by Lev Grossman too. Just got that series. (The show is fun)

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I don't care if I never choose the book because I join these things to find things to read, I don't know what books exist tbh.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have the book!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think everyone being assigned a number works and doing it RNG seems best. I'll go ahead and do an RNG for it and get back to you guys.

Book update: Nearly finished! Final 40 pages. We're getting to the end now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh! I just got it from the library. In the nick of time!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Aaaaaaaand finished! What a read. I'll post my review and rating on the 25th August, which is also the time where full unmarked discussion can take place.

But yeah, I really enjoyed it. Don't worry Freya you've still got a few days to read, and it isn't a really long read either. Only took me three or four reading sessions.

(SPOILER)I've looked at what everyone else has put down behind spoilers now, and I've got to agree. If anything I came in too hot on the parents at first, but having read the whole thing they cut earnestly tragic figures: flawed individuals trying to do what's right, but often coming up short. They've still done some pretty awful things, though.

Also, I kinda pegged Maureen as the child who would become the least well adjusted, but I'm glad there's signs that she's doing better in California. She was out of focus for a lot of the book, and I'm glad we got an update on her.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    (SPOILER)I've looked at what everyone else has put down behind spoilers now, and I've got to agree. If anything I came in too hot on the parents at first, but having read the whole thing they cut earnestly tragic figures: flawed individuals trying to do what's right, but often coming up short. They've still done some pretty awful things, though.
    (SPOILER)Totally agree, at first I was so angry at the parents but my feelings mellowed out as the book went on as we got to know these people better.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, and I've also randomised the order of people for selecting a book. This is based on the list of sign-ups I got in the sign-ups thread, so here's what I got from Random.org:

1. Jinx
    2. Bubba
    3. Mr. Carnelian
    4. Shauna
    5. Karifean
    6. WarZidane
    7. Freya
    8. Bri
    9. Formalhaut

So yes, according to this, Bubba *is* the next person to choose a book. My thoughts are, if someone is inactive/doesn't want to pick/has no idea what to pick we can just move on to the next person on the list, and so on. This is just a guide, we can be as flexible as we want with this but I do think some modicum of structure would be good, just so we know where everyone is.

I'll update the opening post of all subsequent (including this one) with this list so we always know where we're at.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

(SPOILER)It's a tough read for me. Really good, but difficult. My parents weren't like THAT, but I grew up in a household that was often abusive and had two parents with untreated mental illness. So I relate to it in some ways. We also grew up in a trout poor town like Welch, so I completely get the lifestyle she describes.

Rex, I think specifically, was written in such a way that you couldn't outright hate him. It's clear that Jeannette really loved him. Their final scene together had me crying on the R train.

The thing I find most upsetting is how little Maureen was cared for, though. Especially by the other three kids; they all bonded together and Maureen was just forgotten. It's obvious she was born several years after the others. I'm glad she got away, though, and I'm glad she pretty much cut all contact with her family.

Regarding the movie: I haven't seen it yet, but apparently the directors got paintings Rosemary actually painted, so all the art in the movie is really hers! I just think that detail is really neat, and it's also nice to Rosemary (who is still living) who apparently really struggled when the book came out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm halfway through it now and (SPOILER) This depressing as smurf. What the hell

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Getting through this slowly and (SPOILER)it's pretty grim.... not the kind of book I would usually go for. That's what these clubs are all about though! Thanks for the recommendation, Jinx

I think my recommendation will be a welcome change of pace for the group. The book I have chosen for September is...

The Man on Platform Five by Robert Llewelyn.

IMG_6927.GIF

Its been out for years so should be cheap to buy/accessible from your library. It will appeal to both nerds and romantics. If you are both of these then even better
    Last edited by Bubba; 08-24-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Looks like fun! Sorry I haven't been active up until now, but looking forward to reading your choice and sharing my opinions.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dang, this book isn't easy to find. xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.