Thread: Most inspirational Final Fantasies to you.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Most inspirational Final Fantasies to you.

Are there any Final Fantasies that particularly inspire you in anyway? I have been thinking about it, and I would personally say that out of all of them, it is Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, and Final Fantasy X that I find to be the most inspiring, for the following reasons.

While I have mostly moved on to wanting to write movies and television shows, there is still a part of me that would love to create an RPG, and as you could imagine, Final Fantasy is my biggest influence when it comes to RPGs, so a decent amount of my inspiration would come from there. FFVII and FFVIII are my favorite and second favorite in the series, respectively, so I would attempt to (while still doing my own thing, and not copying them completely) create something that captures a similar feel to them.

I love the idea of more modernised RPGs more than forcing myself into a more medieval world, because I love things like cities and technology, which was implemented very well into FFVII and especially FFVIII, and I will admit, that for the RPG I actually have planned, I am hoping to include an "Evil Corporation" storyline, which despite being something I've been interested in since Tekken 2, was fuelled by the existence of Shinra in FFVII, and I admit this will be a big challenge to still look like I'm inspired by Final Fantasy and not stealing from it completely, and hopefully, I can do it, because I really want to take the "Evil Corporation" angle (hopefully, if avoid making "they're destroying the planet!" the reason for why they are evil, I should be okay).

I love the gameplay mechanics of all four of the games mentioned (aside from Final Fantasy X being turn-based), and it would be great if my RPG could be something that combines them into one thing, while throwing my own flair into the mix. I would love it, if whatever my game's equivalent to Limit Breaks/Overdrives could be interactive in someway, like FFVIII and FFX, and I love the idea of combining both the unique abilities of FFVI and FFX with the shared abilities of FFVII and FFVIII, meaning some abilities will be shared and some will be unique (one flaw of FFVII is that, other than the Limit Breaks, there wasn't really anything that made one character in battle different from the other).

While I'd obviously do my own storylines, there's something about the way those Final Fantasies are written, when it comes to the different storylines to me. The characters in FFVI, FFVII, and FFVIII all seem to play off each other very well at times, as would FFX, if they had either stuck to text-speech, or recorded their lines better (once again, I don't find the voice acting bad, it's they tend to sound like recorded their lines separately, and had no idea how they were supposed to be reacting to each other), and ultimately the way the storyline just flows with the world history, and each character brining their own personality to the game (though I realise that can be said for a lot of the Final Fantasies.

In addition to the desire to create an RPG (which I genuinely hope to do when I can), I would also like to confess that, as silly as it may sound to some, I like to imagine what it would be like if I was talented enough to be a celebrity singer songwriter (famous enough and talented enough to have my own albums and music videos, I mean). I know it won't ever happen, but I imagine having a kind of Final Fantasy influence at times, like my albums having titles that you'd get if you played Final Fantasy or some of my music videos having a look inspired by one of the above Final Fantasies, among other things. I wouldn't literally be a big Final Fantasy tribute act, but you would see the influence from it scattered about, as well as whatever else I'm influenced by (I would pay homage to several things in my songs).

Articles
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy XII and X-2 both greatly influenced my view on the fun factor of challenge, customization, exploration and how randomness can be used effectively. They were a major influence in the design process of FFERPG.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of all the FFs I've played, I feel VI, VII, Tactics and XII have probably had the biggest influence on me though other entries have served some good as well. My current project is a bit of a "Love Letter to Matsuno" since I'm playing both Tactics Ogre and XII currently, but this has been a story idea cooking in my brain for awhile.

My novel started as an unapologetic fanfiction for Final Fantasy and the influence from VI and VII (which I was playing at the time) is very apparent, but you can tell Evangelion and Xenogears ultimately took over the story more.