Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VI: First playthrough!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Final Fantasy VI: First playthrough!

OK, after EOFF recommendations, I am finally playing through FFVI after acquiring a second-hand Game Boy Advance and copy of the game (I was assured that if I haven't played the original then this would be the best option).

I'm lucky enough to know very little about the story so I'm looking forward to it greatly. Does anyone have any good general tips that will help me when I start?

I don't like using guides particularly as it ruins the storyline but if anyone has hints, tips (essential items that are easily missed!) then i would really appreciate it.

I begin my quest tonight!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Always check clocks, they almost always contain elixirs. I would also recommend that while its good to build the party you like, make sure you don't neglect the others, this will really help you in the second half of the game. Don't spend too much time worrying about levels unless the game is being difficult. Other than that sit back and enjoy. As you update your progression I'm sure other EoFF members will share hints.

Otherwise I hope you enjoy. :ffvipatpat:

When you get to the first town, South Figaro, you might consider getting your party up to about Level 15. This will ensure that the next character you acquire will possess a mult-target, fire-elemental attack, which will be helpful against enemy groups for quite a while. Assuming you're dexterious enough to execute it, that is.

Once you've got that initial bit of grinding out of the way, try not to grind too much if you can help it. The game introduces a stat-boosting system after you've finished the first fifth or so, and any levels you gain prior to that will be "empty levels," as you will be unable to boost stats with them.

Have fun!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

If you get an Auto-Crossbow from Figaro Castle store, then Edgar will be insanely useful for a long period of time. I love Edgar so this was a no brainer, but do pick your parties based on who you like/find most useful!

Good luck and have fun! Be sure to share your experiences with us

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    If you get an Auto-Crossbow from Figaro Castle store,
    I'm afraid you're mistaken, sir. You get an Auto-Crossbow added to your inventory for free after naming Edgar. Bit of a small detail that's easily missed, of course.

Anyway, don't waste money!

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. This is by far the best FF of them all. I don't care what anyone says. This is the game that got me hooked on video games in the first place and i haven't looked back since.

Save early and save often is my best advice. and also Steal can be huge for you in the beginng when you have no money for potions/weapons. i try to steal from everyone....er I mean TREASURE HUNT!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Towards the end of the game, money isn't that important though so I say experiment.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    If you get an Auto-Crossbow from Figaro Castle store,
    I'm afraid you're mistaken, sir. You get an Auto-Crossbow added to your inventory for free after naming Edgar. Bit of a small detail that's easily missed, of course. Anyway, don't waste money!
    So that's where it came from. I saw that I had two Auto-Crossbows once, and assumed I had found it in a treasure chest. But then I could never find that chest. Mystery solved!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Brilliant guys. Thanks for all the tips. Loving the game! Edgar and Locke are class!

Edgar is currently annihilating all comers with the sweet Auto-Crossbow. I think I may have kleptomaniacal tendencies because I agree with doeboyfresh14... and am currently "treasure-hunting" my ass off. I think I've got around 90+ potions after levelling up in Figaro Cave.

Anyway, here's my update...

Progress

Gil: 49960

Edgar
    LV: 16
    HP: 448

Locke
    LV: 15
    HP: 397

Terra
    LV: 15
    HP: 389

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

That is a lot of gil xD It doesn't look like you're going to have too much trouble if you keep levelling like that either!

Blog Entries

If you train Sabin to use Fire Dance (rising phoenix in the gba version) early on and can pull it off every time he becomes just as useful as edgar.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 10-04-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

When you get to Zozo (maybe a while off yet, but still) make sure you solve the clock puzzle. That way you can get Edgars Chainsaw, which is easily his best Tool
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    When you get to Zozo (maybe a while off yet, but still) make sure you solve the clock puzzle. That way you can get Edgars Chainsaw, which is easily his best Tool
    I dunno...sometimes he'll go for the one-shot when it's not possible to pull off. I say, if you're up against a boss, go for the Drill, and the Flash is useful against large groups, especially if you equip Edgar with an Earring or a Hero Ring, as the Flash's damage is calculated based on his magic power.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

OK. I'll freely admit I've been having trouble using Sabin's Blitz attacks. After looking at the combo's I thought they'd be relatively easy to pull off (after my extensive Street Fighter 2 training in the 90's).

I quickly realized that I actually have the hand co-ordination of a ten-year-old retarded child, with no arms, trying to play the guitar...

I was finally getting the hang of them late last night though after managing Sabin's Rising Phoenix (which is awesome, by the way... Yoga Flame, anybody?) a few times on the trot.

Anyway, update... we've agreed to join the returners and gone down that river and got to the split scenario bit with the moogle. I did Terra and Edgar's bit easily but then struggled on Locke's scenario... I foolishly didn't check their equipment (didn't realise they had NOTHING equipped) and sped through it only to get battered from that Tunnel Armour thing. I got through it next time though.

I'm now just about to start the final scenario with Sabin... and hopefully master those damn blitzes...

Thanks again for the tips guys... keep 'em coming!

Remember that it doesn't matter how fast you do the Blitz, and the game will stop while the cursor is pointing to Sabin, no matter what. Favor smoothness over speed when performing the Blitzes, and remember that the "rear-facing" rule that is in Street Fighter 2 does not apply here; i.e., Rising Phoenix is always "half circle left to right" whether Sabin is facing left, or facing right. It doesn't change.