Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best FF Sequel

Default Best FF Sequel

I post on a forum where it would be a clear competition between X-2 and Lightning Returns, mainly due to the combat in both but also helped by the more "lighthearted" tone. However, I'm really clueless where EOFF stands on this.

I'm gonna guess it's not Lightning Returns and probably not Dirge of Cerberus or The After Years.

So...maybe X-2? XIII-2? Crisis Core? (technically a prequel but who cares, you get what I'm saying)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Toss up between X-2 and the After Years, but tbh, TAY is way too long for its own good, and X-2 gets too stupid and too fanservice'y at times. It's all downhill from here, though. There really aren't any winners when it comes to FF sequels.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Ehhh I like lightning returns the best. Probably cos it reminds me of a much better game. Majoras Mask

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tactics Advance

If that doesn't count, Tactics A2 though it's main plot is still rubbish.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

D'oh, I forgot TA2 is a sequel! It's clearly the best one, despite its weak main plot. It remains one of the most varied and enjoyable games in the series. So I'm changing my vote to that.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

FFTA2 might have stood a chance if I was a fan of the combat system, but since I'm not, it's between XIII-2 and X-2. Out of those, XIII-2 wins by virtue of X-2 not having aged as well as I thought it would.

The moment they announce a Type-0 sequel, this will change

It's Lightning Returns for me. I really love the story and the gameplay.

The After Years for me. It was so cool to see all the characters again, even though it did drag a bit.

Pretty low hurdle to overcome, but I'd say XIII-2. Yeah it disrespects the source material, but let's be honest; who actually gives a trout about the original XIII's already convoluted mess of a story? And at least it had a somewhat cool villain unlike the poetry-spewing Mary Sue from Crisis Core.

XIII-2 would also be my choice.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have never played a FF sequel.

I suck at being a Final Fantasy fan.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Tactics Advance or X-2. Never played A2.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Here's some of my thoughts about the FF sequels:

• FFIV: TAY - I haven't played it much, but from what I've heard about it, it's quite bad, and also messes up Cecil's character completely
    • FF: Legend of the Crystals - I haven't watched it
    • FFVII spinoffs - I haven't played them. Crisis Core is supposedly good, and I liked AC
    • FFX-2 - IMHO, better than the original game, but that's not saying much, considering FFX is my least favorite game in the series. Still, one of those games that focus more on gameplay than storyline (similar to FFs 1, 3, 5, 12, 13-2 and LR)
    • FFXI expansion packs - I haven't played them
    • FFXIII-2 - much better than the original game. It's one of those games that you can just pick up, play for a while, explore places and have fun, then save and quit (since you can finally save anywhere, except during battles). Pretty much the complete opposite of FFIX, which you play only for the storyline, and definitely not for gameplay.
    • LR - still better than the original game, but the time limit prevents you from having similar endless fun as with FFXIII-2. I know running out of time isn't really an issue, but it still means you'll need to advance in the game all the time.
    • FFXIV expansion packs - I haven't played them
    • FFTA - it felt more like "FFT Backward" than "FFT Advance". FFT was epic, but this one just felt bland. The battle system also felt simplified, and the Judges were just annoying.
    • FFTA2 - better than FFTA, but still far from the level of FFT

I'll go with Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    Pretty low hurdle to overcome, but I'd say XIII-2. Yeah it disrespects the source material, but let's be honest; who actually gives a trout about the original XIII's already convoluted mess of a story? And at least it had a somewhat cool villain unlike the poetry-spewing Mary Sue from Crisis Core.
    Now that I've been replaying FFXIII, I may actually agree on this one. The story about l'Cie running away from the world, brooding over their Focus and bickering among themselves just isn't really interesting on the 2nd playthrough. The overall storyline of FFXIII-2 and LR may be inferior to FFXIII's plot, but I still find it more interesting than the original plot.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You forgot FFXII: Revenant Wings. Though it's also pretty bad.

Legend of the Crystals is amusing, but outside of name dropping some places and Mid showing up as a ghost, it hardly has anything to do with FFV.

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    It disrespects the source material.

Sometimes I would really want to know what you mean with certain things.