Thread: Does Sephiroth know about his Father?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Does Sephiroth know about his Father?

WARNING, SPOILERS... for a 20 year old game (would I really need to put up a tag? I'll do it just to be safe, it's probably less well known than ____ Dies)

I've been replaying FFVII, and I was always confused as to why Sephiroth laughs at the mention of his father. He also treats (SPOILER)Hojo with an incredible amount of disdain whenever he mentions him and talks about his rival, Professor Gast in a comparatively reverent manner. So, I know Daddiroth says Sephiroth doesn't know right before the former's boss fight, but I always had the impression that Sephiroth DID know and was ashamed of him. It makes more sense for Sephiroth to laugh at the idea of such a man to be his father, rather than having no idea who his father was.

(SPOILER)Or maybe it's because for all of FFVII's many accomplishments, consistent writing isn't one of them sorrynotsorryIstilllovethegame

Anyway, what do you guys think?
    Returners Represent!

Hojo states that Sephiroth has no idea but considering Sephiroth by now can read the mind of people as well as has collected information from the lifestream and a lot of other things there is no problem with him actually knowing. It was never officially said though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

That's a good point, I guess my question had more to do with Sephiroth pre-FFVII. It's true that he's near-omnipotent by the start of the game
    Returners Represent!

I always assumed he knew. It wouldn't be contradictory for Hojo to believe he didn't.

Pre-VII is purely speculative so I don't want to say anything that is not implied at all. Yes, Sephiroth laughs about his own mentioning of his family situation and very shortly after showed that he disrespects Hojo. One could say he in particular laughed about the fact that he knew it was Hojo but we really only have him noticing that he for no reason gave Zack personal information about his life and therefore laughed and himself wondering why he even told him about his personal life.