View Poll Results: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chelsea

2 20.00%
  • Tottenham

0 0%
  • Man City

2 20.00%
  • Liverpool

2 20.00%
  • Arsenal

0 0%
  • Man Utd

2 20.00%
  • Brighton

2 20.00%
  • Someone else

0 0%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 English Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Handing in a transfer request with four and a half years left on your contract, just six months after you signed it? Honestly I don't think Coutinho is in much of a position to make requests. I get that he can but Liverpool have every right to say "no, we can still get £90m for you in a year and a half down the line". Liverpool hold all the cards in this matter in my opinion.
    Agreed. Tell him to honor is contract for AT least the year and then we'll figure it out next season when we can plan ahead.

Also, how is what Barca did any different to Liverpool and Southampton? Could we accuse them in turn of "tapping up" on a player? Lord knows it sounds like everyone at Barca has been talking to him.

Take care all.

What a game that was last night. I'd even go as far as to say it was the best game of the season so far.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Doot de doot de doo, CTRL+C, CTRL+V
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Oh good I've missed having 5 minutes of our Champions League quality attack eviscerate an opponent before 40 minutes of praying our Championship quality defence don't smurf it all up.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Well, on the bright side, it could have been a much worse start to your season.

*glances at Chelsea*
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

Looks like I had the right idea when I predicted Arsenal to do well and Chelsea not to get top 4!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Man Utd to win 4-0 today and not relinquish top spot for the rest of the season

Not seen Match of the Day yet but thouroughly looking forward to goals galore when I do. Cracking start to the season so far... especially when we win 4-0.

Chuffed for Rooney as well getting the winner for the Toffees.

Blog Entries

I just realised we never did the end of season quote awards for last season. I've been too busy! An extra special one is in the pipeline.

there was a picture here

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    I just realised we never did the end of season quote awards for last season. I've been too busy! An extra special one is in the pipeline.
    I just had a quick flick through to see if I'd dropped any clangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    You still love Lingard? I would've thought the disaster of a game he had at Man City has proven he's way out of his depth at this level. Sorry Daniel but he'll be at somewhere like West Ham or Sunderland by this time next year, quote this post with mockery if I'm wrong!
    OH NOOOOOO

He's still trout and not good enough for a team chasing top four. I'm doubling down on this one. Another 12 months and he's at West Ham or Everton. I had to change from Sunderland to the other two-bit joke club that Man United offload all their troute players to after David "The Chosen One" Moyes somehow managed to get them relegated.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Man Utd to win 4-0 today and not relinquish top spot for the rest of the season

Not seen Match of the Day yet but thouroughly looking forward to goals galore when I do. Cracking start to the season so far... especially when we win 4-0.
    what the smurf

burn the witch

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thing is as well... we've got the early kick-off next Sat so not losing top spot is a possibility

It was a great start. Lukaku and Matic were immense. Pogba was ridiculous too. Rashford could be the perfect foil for the big man. Also, it's a pretty intimidating bench as well. I'm not getting too excited after one game but it's all very promising.

Fun fact: Lukaku and Matic auto-corrected to Likeability and Magic

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Nah mate, Lingard is still golden. Love the guy. Scores in big matches to boot. Whether he has peaked or not (would be weird to peak so early), he's already done a huge amount for United the last two seasons.

Today's game was awesome to watch, especially the guys in the middle who did fantastic. Lukaku did good with his chances (could have scored more, but you can say that about any striker really), but it was Matic, Rashford, Mata and Pogba that did the bulk of the work, and Blind wasn't bad either when he ran up field.

Hopefully it's not just a one-off due to early season tiredness on West Ham's part or anything like that. I'm quietly optimistic.

Until Liverpool can truly sort out their defense, they will continue to thrill and frustrate week in and week out. The attack looks really strong, especially with a weakened midfield andI do expect us to push through into the Champion's League group stage but we'll be hard pressed to go further unless we can shut the door after taking leads. Klopp and company have roughly 2 weeks to sort this out, here's hoping they do.

Bigger question I pose to all us football fans: at what point will any idea of actual financial fair play come into effect? Will we eventually live in a world that if your team isn't bankrolled by a government entity or billionaire, you'll just have to settle for trying for a Champion's League spot, not even sniffing top of the league. I realize that's essentially how it exists in most of the top leagues already, but I feel like the money issue is reaching a critical mass and want to see if anyone has any creative solutions? One idea, that works in most American sports is to put in a salary cap, meaning a team can't just spend and spend into oblivion and might actually allow top players to stay rather than all being accumulated in one squad.

Another option is to do away with these 4 and 5 year contracts since they are meaningless beyond the paper itself. Perhaps, everyone can sign either 1 or 2 year deals and if you sign a 2 year deal, you aren't eligible to tear up the deal when another team comes calling but must see the deal out? Granted, it would lead to transfer chaos every year, but at least it would be more honest.

Take care all.

Articles

If Marcus Rashford had scored that there would be a 10 day jizzfest in the media and punditocracy about the saviour of English football.

That notwithstanding, Trent Alexander-Arnold is as good as his name is long. If England weren't stacked at RB I'd make him a dark horse for the World Cup squad, but if Walker and/or Trippier get injured then you never know. I think he'll push Clyne out of the Liverpool team this year at any rate.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

tbf if it wasn't a qualifier I imagine that the media would just as quickly go nuts over a Liverpool player as a United player.

Articles

Memphis Depay was hailed as the new Cristiano Ronaldo after a qualifier against Brugge a couple of years ago as I recall

Mind you, we'll probably see people saying TAA = Gerrard 2.0. (because he is scouse, you see.) Doesn't matter that they don't play in the same position...