View Poll Results: VOTE

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Auron

12 48.00%
  • Red XIII

13 52.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EoFF's Ultimate Character Tournament Round 1 - Auron vs Red XIII (CLOSED)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I like Quina yes, but if Quina was up against Freya, Vivi, or Steiner, I'm kicking it to the curb. Red XIII was just boring to me and ultimately doesn't really do much for the plot except be raised by a more important character.
    Vivi and Steiner I'll give you, but Freya? Bloody hell son. Red XIII is more important to VII's plot than Freya is to IX's and infinitely less boring. Fight me.

...although there wouldn't be much point seeing as how she only got one nomination. There's a reason Red XIII's in this tournament and she isn't!
    Freya had a more interesting story and FF is on short supply of badass female characters. She also Riverdances!

Red XIII had a boring predictable plot line and ultimately comes across as an annoying know-it-all kid who basically has reality give him a wake up call beat down. My favorite thing about him was kicking the ball into him at Costa del Sol.

Freya also has the better character theme.

5725d86ac46188bd038b45a1.jpg

I didn't realize people disliked Red XIII so much! I'm not crazy about him or anything, and I agree he is a rather weak character, but he was cool for the parts of the story that he was in.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah I don't hate him. I just think he really isn't that interesting and my recent replay only confirmed how insufferable he can get. Also, Freya is a better character by a mile, so seeing such slander just made it clear I had to speak up because damn, that's just crazy talk!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

Freya had a more interesting story and FF is on short supply of badass female characters. She also Riverdances!

Red XIII had a boring predictable plot line and ultimately comes across as an annoying know-it-all kid who basically has reality give him a wake up call beat down. My favorite thing about him was kicking the ball into him at Costa del Sol.

Freya also has the better character theme.
    Freya isn't even in the top 3 female badasses in her game (Beatrix, Lani and even god damn Ruby all had more personality) let alone the series!

Red XIII is not a know-it-all in the slightest! He shows a lot of vulnerability and fear of the unknown (e.g. "I have a tattoo too, will I go mad?" Paraphrased) and I have no idea how you missed that. He's a likeable and down-to-earth character who adds some much needed chill to counterbalance the likes of Barret. In Cosmo Canyon he shows a totally different side unlike beep boop emotionless Freya and the emotional payoff at the end is superb.

Red XIII's main arc ties nicely into FFVII's core theme of self identity. His side arcs (fear of being controlled by Hojo/Sephiroth and death of Bugenhagen aka the planet) also do and keep him relevant throughout the game.

All of this is why Red XIII is objectively one of the best FF characters in history as recognised by his place in this tournament. And Freya got one vote.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Great. Two of my favourite characters head-to-head.

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART SHAUNA
    This

IMG_6854.JPG

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Great. Two of my favourite characters head-to-head.

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART SHAUNA
    This

IMG_6854.JPG
    Exactly! This is why I've had to resort to bashing Freya, because I think Auron is excellent and I can't bring myself to say a bad word against him. Again, while I voted for Red XIII I'm perfectly fine with Auron going through.

/slams the Nanaki/ Red XIII button

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Red XIII! He's all like TAKE THAT HOJO YOU BASTARD. Whereas Auron is like SIN IS JECHT. Way to ruin a potential plot twist so early in the game, Auron.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries

Auron of course. Dude's one of the few FF characters I really do care about.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    he loves his grandpa and thinks about him at sleepy times
    WEAK

Articles
    Blog Entries

Auron's a badass. Red XIII is a badass with vulnerabilities, a moving (though granted, fairly straightforward) local storyline and he helps form a needed logical foundation when characters start getting loopy. And I personally find Cosmo Canyon one of my favourite sections of Disc 1, although I know a surprising number of people don't very much care for any of it.

Either deserve to win this, but I don't think Red XIII is a novelty character. If anything Cait Sith is your novelty character although even it gains a semblence of depth in the latter stages of the game.

Wow, another tie! C'mon Auron!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I withdrew my own vote that I had placed to UP THE ANTE - our winner is Red XIII!