View Poll Results: VOTE

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Auron

12 48.00%
  • Red XIII

13 52.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: EoFF's Ultimate Character Tournament Round 1 - Auron vs Red XIII (CLOSED)

Articles
    Blog Entries

*tableflip*

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Most of this doesn't matter anymore but...

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Freya isn't even in the top 3 female badasses in her game (Beatrix, Lani and even god damn Ruby all had more personality) let alone the series!
    Really stretching it there with two of the choices. Honestly, mechanic-wise, Freya is one of the most broken characters in the game considering she gets an MP restoring ability, a guarantee max damage cap skill and she's the traditionally broken Dragoon class of which all Dragoon characters are badasses. Even Beatrix is more badass as a boss, since her fights are rigged in her favor, than as character. It becomes obvious that her stats are not really as strong as they should be and she doesn't have enough MP to be a real wrecking ball like Steiner can with the same abilities.

Red XIII is not a know-it-all in the slightest! He shows a lot of vulnerability and fear of the unknown (e.g. "I have a tattoo too, will I go mad?" Paraphrased) and I have no idea how you missed that.
    Which is basically the game trying to hand wave his original story, which actually made him more interesting since he was a clone in the early drafts. None of this changes that this revelation really never goes anywhere or adds anything to him.

He's a likeable and down-to-earth character who adds some much needed chill to counterbalance the likes of Barret. In Cosmo Canyon he shows a totally different side
    More like quiet and bored to be with the rest of the cast. Honestly Red has like next to no lines for most of the sections after Midgard and before his hometown, and he has little to no lines after that./ He could be written out of the plot and not impact it at all.

unlike beep boop emotionless Freya and the emotional payoff at the end is superb.
    You seem to forget her breakdown in Cleyra when she finds her love Frately and discovers he no longer remembers her which breaks her heart, or the anger she feels when she returns to find her home of Burmecia in ruin, or when she tells Zidane off for all his damn womanizing cause she's a boss.

Red XIII's main arc ties nicely into FFVII's core theme of self identity. His side arcs (fear of being controlled by Hojo/Sephiroth and death of Bugenhagen aka the planet) also do and keep him relevant throughout the game.
    Not really, cause as I said, the one line never goes anywhere concerning Hojo or Sephy, and considering he has a "score to settle with Hojo" it feels kind of dumb that he didn't use the better opportunity when he was first introduced since he mauled the guy and did nothing. So it really feels like the writer's just trying to come up with reasons to keep him relevant and as I said many trimes before, Barret also has a connection to Cosmo Canyon, so he could have easily been written as the link to Bugenhagen making the talking cat even more pointless than the novelty he is. His identity plot was cliched and predictable and only saved by the fact that "The Great Warrior" is one of the best tracks in VII. Again, most of his relevancy ends after Cosmo Canyon as the team already know Bugenhagen by then and he doesn't do anything after that except hand off the Black Materia to Sephiroth controlled Cloud if he's not in your active party.

All of this is why Red XIII is objectively one of the best FF characters in history as recognized by his place in this tournament. And Freya got one vote.
    I didn't vote for either, but simply because I feel there were better characters in the series. Freya's issue is that her plot never resolves as Zidane and Garnet's personal stories become cancerous plot tumors in the game's second half, whereas Red XIII is pretty much a non-entity for the rest of VII after Cosmo Canyon because his name isn't Cloud, Tifa, or Cid, who are all the only people who do matter after the first disc. Frankly I feel Cyan is the character who really got robbed in this tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I withdrew my own vote that I had placed to UP THE ANTE - our winner is Red XIII!
    YES ALL HAIL THE GINGER DOGGO !