Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I didn't choose the con life, the con life chose me.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I went to MCM in London about 10 years ago, possibly more. It was pretty much just a nerdy flea market as Jinx described. Although they seem to have upped their game in recent years and tend to have things like discussion panels, cosplay contest etc so it's more in-line with some of the bigger US cons now.

Smaller cons are just pretty much nerdy flea markets. Bigger cons are an insane crush of people. Then there's something like gamescom in Cologne which is just insane levels of magnitude of people.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I actually help run the local con here, a modest 5000 or so usually attends. It's a lot of fun if you're into a lot of the more social events but unless you're a huge extrovert, deeply into the subject matter, a cosplayer, or wanna buy stuff it might not be for everyone.

I attended a FanExpo and pretty much went everywhere David Hayter went, including having him sign an old-school Foxhound t-shirt and watching a live reading of the original Ghostbusters. It was a panel of people (forget their names, but the guys who play Pinky/Brain/Goofy/Daffy/One-Piece main dude), and they'd switch voices every scene. It was smurfing awesome.
    Last edited by Doomie; 08-14-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomie View Post
    I attended a FanExpo and pretty much went everywhere David Hayer went, including having him sign an old-school Foxhound t-shirt and watching a live reading of the original Ghostbusters. It was a panel of people (forget their names, but the guys who play Pinky/Brain/Goofy/Daffy/One-Piece main dude), and they'd switch voices every scene. It was smurfing awesome.
    I forget his name, but the guy that voices Pinky is the same who does Yakko Warner and to this day he can apparently recite "The Nations of the World" by memory. There are videos of him doing it on the fly when asked during Q&As and it's awesome.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

I love conventions. Been to almost any type you can image, from SDCC, all the way down to local ones. Was at Otakon last weekend. Meeting new people with similar hobbies is always fun, especially if you can find a group to join that's cosplaying the same way. Sometimes, the panels are even decent, but mostly, it's just about hanging out and peoplewatching.