Thread: Wall Street Journal does a Twitter Poll about the best Japanese RPG Franchise.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Red Exclamation Mark Wall Street Journal does a Twitter Poll about the best Japanese RPG Franchise.

Takashi Mochizuki, the Technology Reporter for the Wall Street Journal did a poll on his Twitter account to determine the best Japanese RPG on the market.

The results are interesting to say the least. The poll was done for Japan and Western fans. Japan voted unsurprisingly that Dragon Quest and Pokemon represent the best Japanese RPG series still active, beating out both Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei.

The Western poll is also interesting because The Legend of Zelda and Pokemon won, but more surprising is that Dragon Quest actually beat out Final Fantasy here as well.

Source: Siliconera and Twitter.

Does Zelda count as a RPG ? Thought that it was more a adventure game ?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For me, I think the more worrisome part of this is how much FF has fallen, cause I feel ten years ago, it would have been number one in the West and probably number two in Japan.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Does Zelda count as a RPG ? Thought that it was more a adventure game ?
    It's a (sometimes) hotly debated topic.

Anyway, if what the guy says is true and most of his western followers are Nintendo fans, the results (including DQ beating FF) make sense, DQ is far more alive than FF on Nintendo hardware.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The most surprising thing is DQ beating out FF in the West. Other than that, not very surprising. The Japanese results are probably what most people would have guessed. Zelda winning in the West also makes sense since there is a recent fantastic game out in everyone's minds. Pokemon is still incredibly popular everywhere with Sun/Moon and Go.

The FF/DQ result is odd because there was a recent FF game yet the most recent DQ game was a remake of an older game on DS. I guess if they are mostly Nintendo fans then that would explain it but I think this also shows the trajectory of FF and the credibility that was lost during the FFXV development void.

Granted, I own both Nintendo and Sony systems and I've played BotW, Pokemon S/M and Go, and the DQVII remake yet I have not had much of an inkling to get FFXV. So I guess I fit the profile!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

DQ has released games here - DQ Heroes, DQ Builder - which are good games. Final Fantasy has been actively damaging its brand; I suspect if 13 and 15 had never come out, it would actually have a BETTER reputation than it does.