Thread: The first few episodes suck and then it gets better

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Pretty much Parks & Rec. SHIELD is also a great example. It's one of my favorite shows now but the first season was baaaad.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually like the first season of parks and rec, but I guess it does get a good amount better afterwards. I thought the end of it got a bit weird.

It's hard to answer this though as I usually stop a show if I don't like it very much at first. SHIELD might be a good example since it got better after a bit, but I never really did actually like it very much.

I remember being really close to giving up while watching The Wire. The first four episodes seemed very average. Then it draws you in and, to me, is the high water mark of television.

I've watched it again since and the beginning of the first season seems fine now. There were just so many characters and the set up plunges you straight in; there's no hand-holding.

Is it less about the episodes not being very good, and more about us not being invested in the ideas?

Oh, and the first TWO SEASONS of Star Trek TNG are bad. That takes serious patience.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Leftovers season 1 is a slow burn and a little hard to get into, and then Season 2 and 3 are masterpieces and some of the best television in this era of peak TV.

Farscape. It really takes a while for the show to figure out what it is. But once it gets going, it's amazing.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Farscape. It really takes a while for the show to figure out what it is. But once it gets going, it's amazing.
    smurf yes this show. So good. One of my favourites ever.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    SHIELD is also a great example.
    I haven't watched it. In part due to the thoughts expressed in the over saturation thread and just never getting around to it. How would you sell SHIELD to a new viewer?

I know some people were put off by it, thinking "why would I want to watch a Marvel show without any of the Marvel characters I know and care about". But it's more than just Coulson and some identically dressed agents, yeah?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's not really tied to any of the other Marvel stuff, though the aftermath of the movies do ripple their way through (but can be ignored if you don't bother watching the movies). They will only rarely mention the Avengers and only for humor. There are superpowered people in it and a couple mid-tier Marvel characters do show up, but it has its own storylines and development.

What makes this show great are that the characters have evolved from the flat tropes in the first season to really embrace their quirks and be unique. They have a lot of chemistry with each other too. It's probably my favorite cast on TV right now. Each season since the first has an arching storyline that usually involves more than just 'stop the big bad' and there are some gray areas of morality that the show deals with such as the rights of people with abilities and the nature of reality. You don't always come away thinking SHIELD are the 'good guys' and I like that.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

RE: Sense8

The second season is hilariously bad. I still love it, but let's not pretend like it was good storytelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I remember Star Trek TNG's first season was so awful it damn near put me off watching the rest of the show.