Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first few episodes suck and then it gets better

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The first few episodes suck and then it gets better

What are some shows you watched where all your friends said "If you can begrudgingly sit through the first half of the season, the beautiful and glorious second half of the season will make it all worth it"?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

people told me this about game of thrones for years

it really doesn't sell a show i gotta be honest

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Parks and Recreation

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Honestly, The Magicians is kinda meh the first few episodes but now I adore it.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Honestly, The Magicians is kinda meh the first few episodes but now I adore it.
    How dare you.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I ADORE IT NOW! But it is kinda cringey right away, trying hard to be edgy harry potter. Realized on my rewatch with my friends.

A co-worker said something like this about Sense 8. The first couple of episodes didn't thrill me much at all, but she says it really takes off. Then continued on to say it kind of screwed the pooch and got itself cancelled. So i don't know what to do.

I could say this about The Clone Wars. The first three seasons drag for the most part. Season four has a nice 3-4 episode story arc system going on, but if it happens to be something you don't care for then that's a lost hour plus. Season five is when it got really fun. Then season six is just alright, but it's short anyway (although it manages to have a better certain lightsaber battle than a certain movie did).

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    Parks and Recreation
    Yea, first season was kind of meh.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Parks and Recreation
    Seinfeld
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Most Gundam series that are not the short OAVs. Like the first fifteen or so episodes are boring but really help to set up the world so when all the trout starts to fall in the second half it feels utterly worth it. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross and the original Sailor Moon anime are like this too. Hell any anime that is longer than 26 episodes tend to fall into this territory.

Highlander is another, the first season is a bit quirky, but it's the second season where the series really starts to shine.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ganon View Post
    A co-worker said something like this about Sense 8. The first couple of episodes didn't thrill me much at all, but she says it really takes off. Then continued on to say it kind of screwed the pooch and got itself cancelled. So i don't know what to do.

I could say this about The Clone Wars. The first three seasons drag for the most part. Season four has a nice 3-4 episode story arc system going on, but if it happens to be something you don't care for then that's a lost hour plus. Season five is when it got really fun. Then season six is just alright, but it's short anyway (although it manages to have a better certain lightsaber battle than a certain movie did).
    I wouldn't say it screwed the pooch. It was just too expensive to film. They had over 50 locations in 13 different countries and all the actors needed to be at all of them at some point. It ended up not being cost-effective.

Sense8 is one of the greatest and most important series of all time. Your life will be far richer for having watched it. Plus, they're tying up any loose ends with a feature-length episode.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Looked at the first episode of Game of Thrones and thought it was fairly boring. My friends push me to continue with it though saying it gets a lot better and I've been meaning too!

Str8 Pimpin'

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I struggled really hard with the first half of Season 1 of Community. Like really really hard. But then I caught some of the latter half of the season and I thought it was super hilarious. I don't know what changed in the time between.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Biggest one that comes to mind is Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, where it was really mediocre until the 15th or 16th episode of season 1, but then the rest of season 1, season 2 and first half of season 3 were great (wasn't a big fan of the second half of season 3, haven't seen season 4)

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Sense8 is one of the greatest and most important series of all time. Your life will be far richer for having watched it. Plus, they're tying up any loose ends with a feature-length episode.

I agree with this. People coming together from all walks of life and experiencing eachother's lives intimately and literally through eachother's eyes. It was a fantastic concept.

At first I wasn't going to watch it when I heard it was cancelled. I don't want to leave on a cliffhanger. But then they announced a full movie length episode to wrap it all up, so I binged the two seasons.