View Poll Results: VOTE

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cloud Strife

11 50.00%
  • Red XIII

11 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EoFF's Ultimate Character Tournament Round 3 - Cloud vs Red XIII (CLOSED)

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Default EoFF's Ultimate Character Tournament Round 3 - Cloud vs Red XIII (CLOSED)

Cloud Strife, Barret's Hot Date

VS

Red XIII, Gaia's Eternal Protector

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Green

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I've said this a dozen times already, but I love Cloud because he tries so hard to play the unwilling straight foil to VII's world of wackiness and comedy. But then when a ridiculous situation that is beyond comprehension arises, like they need someone to cross dress, or to ride a dolphin, or to enter a giant bird race, he's always the first to volunteer and gets stuck in wholeheartedly. Like, "Dress up as a woman? What. That's stupid. ...but I mean if I'm gonna do this thing, I've got to do it right. Now, where can I find some sexy panties to wear to really sell this thing...?"
    I'm gonna quote this in every thread until Cloud is either eliminated or wins. He's my all time favourite character.
    Cloud strizzedy Strife for lizzedy life.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Red xiii v cloud lol. Kinda funny cos them 2 have caused like the most controversy here so far. Buuut. Ima go with cloud mcstrife here. I mean. One time I was cloud

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I still have no idea how Meowbark has made it this far.

Voted for Cloud
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

I voted for Red because he shares his name with Eric Foreman's father in That 70s Show. And because Cloud is the gold-standard for angsty teenage protagonists.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Cloud is in his 20's and isn't particularly angsty until shot actually goes down. He's more trying to hard sell everyone on his badassery and failing miserably. If you strip away his Compilation appearances, his personality is surprisingly nuanced.

I voted for Red XIII because sentient dogcat

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Doomie View Post
    I voted for Red because he shares his name with Eric Foreman's father in That 70s Show. And because Cloud is the gold-standard for angsty teenage protagonists.
    Cloud isn't remotely angsty in FFVII. He's not a happy peppy character but then I don't think it's a binary choice of either be Rikku or be angsty. Advent Children maybe - I'd probably say it's more PTSD than general angst but to each their own - but definitely not the game itself.

Laddy was definitely closer to what I was getting at; angsty wasn't the right word. I don't think I'd call him nuanced, though. I don't need 'em to be happy/peppy. Vivi wasn't, and neither was Steiner. But what defines his character? If you had to describe Cloud in a sentence, what would it be?

Maybe it's just the games dialogue, but for someone whose village was burned/friend was killed, he's shockingly and frustratingly stoic. Maybe that's just the Jenova cells/trauma, but the constant teetering between deranged and 'imma save the world' seems forced. I prefer Zack, to be honest.

Or maybe I dislike him because Cloud = Squall = Lightning
    Last edited by Doomie; 08-19-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Articles

I am going to sound like a stuck record, but: the unwilling straight foil to VII's world of wackiness and comedy.

That's why he's so unimaginable! Furthermore, how am I supposed to believe in his depth as a character if he doesn't, once, express the desire to get laid. I don't care if it's Tifa or Don Corneo, but every human has needs. Seems to me like 98% of FFVII's characters are sexually abstinent.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's why he's so unimaginable! Furthermore, how am I supposed to believe in his depth as a character if he doesn't, once, express the desire to get laid. I don't care if it's Tifa or Don Corneo, but every human has needs. Seems to me like 98% of FFVII's characters are sexually abstinent.
    I think this ones' easy, I mean a guy doesn't carry around something like the Buster Sword if he's not compensating for something. Maybe he's simply afraid Tifa or Barret will laugh...

Even though I don't care for either of them, the idea of Cloud getting knocked out by Red XIII does amuse me.

Articles

Cloud and Tifa clearly banged when everyone left them alone under the Highwind that night before the North Crater.

Touché.