Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: Joss Whedon

  1. #16
    Yes homo Mr. Carnelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Winchester, England
    Posts
    2,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    Yeah, like that article says, I'm not really all that surprised. The signs were there, and if anything they've only been getting more obvious in his work as the years have gone by.

  2. #17
    The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    I don't really buy this idea that 'the signs were there'. Based on what? Plotlines in Dollhouse? By that logic Zack Snyder must be a total womaniser and David Lynch the biggest sexual predator this side of Bill Cosby. This reads more like 'we never liked Joss Whedon so now want praise because he turned out to be a dick'
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

  3. #18
     Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yer pants
    Posts
    25,053
    Articles
    269
    Blog Entries
    34

    FFXIV Character

    Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

    Default

    I guess you haven't been paying too much attention to his characters or his writing really.

    • Hey remember that random infertility plot from Avengers of Black Widows? Where she says she's a monster cause she can't have kids? Whedon.
    • Charisma Carpenter was fired from Angel because she was pregnant. [x]
    • He planned to have a character gang raped to feed into the character development of mal (Inara on Firefly) [x]
    • The plan for WW was that she seduces the bad guy via a sexy dance? [x]



    There's more than that too.

    Basically, there's been a lot of things wrong with joss but he has gotten by with a very white 90's feminism outlook. Waifish woman who punches guys = feminism!

    You can still enjoy shows while making commentary on what's bad with them. Buffy did a lot to move female heros to the forefront but, there were things that were wrong with it too. It wasn't perfect.

  4. #19
    The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    The whole 'woman gets raped which spurs the guy into action/shows how bad the situation is' trope needs to be put to bed for good.

    I never saw an issue with Black Widow in Age of Ultron though. It's her guilt and self-loathing talking. The film is clearly not saying that all infertile women are monsters.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

  5. #20
     Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yer pants
    Posts
    25,053
    Articles
    269
    Blog Entries
    34

    FFXIV Character

    Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

    Default

    I had it earlier but lost it now but in the script it's less of guilt and more of just matter of fact.

    Writing a woman as feeling guilty and self loathing because she can't have kids is still cringey regardless. It's unnecessary to Black Widow. It doesn't humanize her like he intended it to.

  6. #21

    Default

    So many possible comments...

    Had to research that "proud Joss Whedon feminist" thing just to make sure he actually claimed the title instead of it being just assumed that title.

    It's hard to defend him when he's clearly a dick, but as a male he'll never live up to the impossible standards set forth by female feminists. Just two seconds ago trying to research Joss reinforced the idea that feminists will do everything in their power to drive away their male allies. For me I'll just be satisfied that they have the right intentions even if theyre smurfing up.


    I'll probably watch his next show even if he's a douche. This scandal isnt enough to ruin him.

  7. #22
     Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yer pants
    Posts
    25,053
    Articles
    269
    Blog Entries
    34

    FFXIV Character

    Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    It's hard to defend him when he's clearly a dick, but as a male he'll never live up to the impossible standards set forth by female feminists. Just two seconds ago trying to research Joss reinforced the idea that feminists will do everything in their power to drive away their male allies. For me I'll just be satisfied that they have the right intentions even if theyre smurfing up.
    What does this even mean?

  8. #23
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,548
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    So many possible comments...

    Just two seconds ago trying to research Joss reinforced the idea that feminists will do everything in their power to drive away their male allies.
    tbh most of us don't even really want them soooo
    mfw you post

  9. #24

    Default

    Feminists saying they dont want male allies is basically giving up males ever seeing your point of view or ever treating you as equals and hence shooting your whole agenda in the foot. So good luck with that.

  10. #25
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,548
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

    Default

    If saying, "We don't really want you as allies" is enough for you to think we don't deserve equal rights, you probably weren't an ally to begin with.
    mfw you post

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    If saying, "We don't really want you as allies" is enough for you to think we don't deserve equal rights, you probably weren't an ally to begin with.
    Which doesn't matter to you, because you don't want allies, right?

  12. #27

    Default

    Nice Catch 22 there Jinx.

    If saying "smurf You. I dont want you as a friend" is enough to not make you treat me well and act friendly, then you probably werent a friend to begin with.





    Sounds weird, right?

  13. #28
    Eggstreme Wheelie Jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    26,814
    Articles
    65
    Blog Entries
    1
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    If saying, "We don't really want you as allies" is enough for you to think we don't deserve equal rights, you probably weren't an ally to begin with.
    Which doesn't matter to you, because you don't want allies, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Nice Catch 22 there Jinx.

    If saying "smurf You. I dont want you as a friend" is enough to not make you treat me well and act friendly, then you probably werent a friend to begin with.





    Sounds weird, right?
    Don't be smurfing tosspots. You're either an ally or you're not; you don't switch sides because someone is allegedly mean to you. Being an ally is not the same as being a friend; I can think a woman is a terrible person, but she's still entitled to equal rights. Your deliberate ignorance is even undermining your petty tantrum.

    They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.


  14. #29
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,548
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Nice Catch 22 there Jinx.

    If saying "smurf You. I dont want you as a friend" is enough to not make you treat me well and act friendly, then you probably werent a friend to begin with.





    Sounds weird, right?
    No, it doesn't. If someone saying "I don't really want you as a friend" is enough to make you think they don't deserve to be treated with respect, then no. You probably never cared about them as a person to begin with. Nice false equivalency, by the way.

    Let me say this again very plainly: if someone not wanting you as an ally is enough to make you stop believing they deserve basic human rights, you are not a good person, and you were never any ally to begin with. You didn't care about equality, you cared about the good feelies and the praise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post

    Which doesn't matter to you, because you don't want allies, right?
    Man, how many jimmies did I rustle that I made a lurker come out of the works to make their very first post!
    mfw you post

  15. #30
     Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yer pants
    Posts
    25,053
    Articles
    269
    Blog Entries
    34

    FFXIV Character

    Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

    Default

    No flame wars will be had.

    Official warning for no flaming of wars. Calmly discuss this topic. Or not at all.

    EDIT:

    Alrighty, we're going to not derail a thread with this. Please continue discussing how bad Joss is though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •