Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So they're having an Assassin's Creed Crossover

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

"They would never have done this back in the day!" Only they absolutely would have.

How is the brand cheapened when it was already doing so? You say you know, so surely the brand was cheap from the start by that fact? And surely doing it now, when they need those coattails (if you listen to the doomsayers, FF is still doing really badly you guys)...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    How is the brand cheapened when it was already doing so? You say you know, so surely the brand was cheap from the start by that fact?
    It's not a binary state of cheapened or not cheapened. If you ran around your office shouting you love the Tories your reputation would be lowered, right? Then if the next day you ran around your office again, this time naked and shouting that Hitler did nothing wrong, your reputation would be lowered further. People aren't going to say "Well, BoB already did the Tory thing so it doesn't matter what else he does here".

And surely doing it now, when they need those coattails (if you listen to the doomsayers, FF is still doing really badly you guys)...
    I refer you to the last line of my post. There's good partnerships and bad partnerships. I gave two examples of good partnerships in my post in the form of Nintendo and Disney. Ubisoft? Not so much. If you're not picky then they may as well partner up with Kim Jong Un because hey, any partnership is a good partnership!

Usually, this kind of thing doesn't bother me. MGS4 had some dumb Assassin's Creed crossover? Mass Effect too? Fine, whatever. I'm not interested in it but I can ignore it, and the reason I can ignore it is because the base game measures up. Final Fantasy XV on the other hand is a let down that keeps proving with every piece of additional content how it just doesn't get it.

It's not that I look at this and go "Oh, this sucks I wish this didn't exist". It's more that it helps cement in my mind that whoever is calling the shots at Square Enix either doesn't care about making Final Fantasy unique and special, or doesn't understand how to. Either way it makes me less and less confident that it's ever going to be a franchise that I enjoy again. Each bit of dumb tat they chuck on without fixing the core issues like, oh I dunno, the utterly banal and incomplete main story for example, is just another shove towards the gravestone with Final Fantasy etched on it.

Selling out with dumb crossovers doesn't piss me off. I can tolerate that. But you have to earn that tolerance and FFXV sure as hell hasn't done so.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, I'm okay with people saying the base game sucks. Thankfully they're the minority in my experience with FFXV. Complaining about optional (and free!) DLC is what confuses me.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Other than the fact that it bugged out on me during one of the chase bits, I didn't think it was too horrible. The dialogue was a bit cringy at points, but I'm going to be optimistic and call it a less than stellar translation. There were a couple cute moments, at least. I know it's resources they could be putting toward fixing what's there, instead of new stuff, but asking for an updated plot is probably being too hopeful. Maybe they'll learn something from it, and the next new thing will be better.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

I won't be able to play FF15 til it comes out on PC, but I plan to probably check out the AC stuff. Same converse for when AC:O comes out.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

I finally got around to finishing this tonight and as bizarre as the crossover was it was fun. Silly, but fun. It could have actually done a bit more with the formula, but I can understand the limitations of working with a gameplay style in a game not built around it.

The AI was really off, though. Either it had a sixth sense and you couldn't sneak up on them at all or...

https://twitter.com/SmokeyNemesis/st...61898099306496