Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secret of Mana is getting a 3D remake for PS4 and Vita.

Wait. Where did you see the producer promise to remake Seiken Densetsu 3 if it did well?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Wait. Where did you see the producer promise to remake Seiken Densetsu 3 if it did well?
    He talked about it last year, when they were discussing the remake of the Final Fantasy Adventure.

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread....30#post3632130

Okay. Thanks. Didnt know that "Adventures of Mana" existed. I only knew about Sword of Mana which I didnt like.

Now I want to play Adventures of Mana...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, just watched some comparison videos between the original and the remake footage shown at PAX over the weekend, here's some cool tidbits I picked up:

• Randi (MC) Talks quite a bit more in the remake, whereas he's almost a silent protagonist in the original. Almost...
    • There is now a mini-map in the remake, and in a cool twist, it's directly made to look like the old SNES map.
    • The game appears to have fully voiced story scenes.
    • The translation has been redone. I'm not sure if the Mobile port cleaned up the translation and this game is using that version, or if the game has gotten a new translation for this project, but it's easy to spot that some grammar has been touched up and some dialogue has changed to make a bit more sense.
    • There are now cutscenes for the big moments. For instance, Randi obtaining the Sword of Mana was done all in-game with a just a few text boxes and lights, reaching the sword in the remake actually has the gameplay cutaway to a pre-rendered scene from different angles and using more animation for Randi's movements than the in-game sprite graphics would allow.
    • Other character models are a bit less animated, the two boys at the start of the game have no facial animations beyond their default and seem to be direct 3D Models of their sprite artwork, which makes some scenes look awkward, but also allows you to notice some details of the original models you may not have noticed.
    • As with a lot of 2D games getting 3D make-overs, the game runs slightly slower than the original. The video shows people playing through the first section and the original version has the player zipping by, whereas the remake is slightly behind. Looks more jarring with the comparison but not likely to be noticeable on a solo playthrough.
    • The attack range of the sword seems to have extended, partially because the in-game model for it is more proportionate than the 2D one and is thus a bit longer, but even then it feels like the sword has a bit more of an extended hit-box than the original. Will be interesting to see if the other weapons have similar changes.
    • The character bar now displays a life bar, in addition to the HP one to give a better visual idea of the damage you're taking. Also, the weapon your character has equipped is displayed on the right side of the character info bar.
    • The first boss is much better animated and moves around more like an actual Praying Mantis with it's head bobbing and wind up for it's attack. The full 3D movement adds a lot of interesting subtle elements that weren't possible with the sprites.
    • There is no online co-op planned for the game at the moment, but the game does in fact retain the local co-op of the original, so it's still three player!
    • Hiroki Kikuta (SoM Composer) has returned for the project and is working on the re-arrangment of the soundtrack, which he is making sure still sounds like the original, but has added a few new flairs to give it a new spin.

Here's the comparison video for study.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Local co-op, sweet!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum