Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Taste of Power

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

ichigo Favorite Taste of Power

For those who don't understand what I mean. Taste of Power is a trope associated with video games usually, where the player either has access to some late game gear or skills before the plot depowers them after the tutorial dungeon, or the game hands you over an overpowered NPC with said late game skills and abilities. So what were some of your favorites?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ciri's DMC dash in the Witcher 3. You play her on only a handful of occasions, and she isn't that overpowered at first, but later on she has so much speed and force that you can just never catch up when playing as Geralt. Slicing through monsters with one hit and teleporting all around the battlefield is really awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can't think of times where I've liked it as far as inventory and abilities go.

My all-time favorite example for a "taste of power" is Pankratz/Papas from Dragon Quest V. I don't believe you ever really control him directly, but the way he decimates enemies before your character has any opportunity to act perfectly shows how much more powerful he is and how weak and fragile you still are (kinda like Sephiroth in the Nibelheim flashback, but in this case it's used to admire your avatar's father). It makes the dungeons you explore without him feel especially dangerous, but in the final dungeon of the child arc, you're fighting side by side with him and actually pulling your weight for the first time. It really gives a sense of finality to that chapter of the game.
    Returners Represent!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Lamont wielding Shades of Black in early FFXII (IZJS/TZA) is an amazing preview for all the powerful spells you'll be getting eventually.

I loved wrecking as Sephiroth as a kid.

I never realized how few games I've played that do this. Probably Sephiroth by default even though you don't actually control him. It's nice seeing those level 3 spells and four digit damage.

The most prominent one is Metroid Prime, but the actual abilities aren't what was fun, it was being able to expand my exploration.

Symphony of the Night, having all of Alucard's dopeness then having Death take it from you. Apparently you can glitch past the Death room and keep all the equipment which is how people speedrun the game for any %. Never done it myself though

Quote Originally Posted by Kydru View Post
    I loved wrecking as Sephiroth as a kid.
    Same.

The only other example of this I can remember is the start of Chrono Cross.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Having the Magitek Armor in Narshe will always be my favorite.

Though the third chapter in Geddoe's story in Suikoden III was pretty badass. Speaking of Suikoden, Suikoden II when you have Jowy in your party and his Dark Sword Rune, and Suikoden V whenever mothersmurfing Georg Prime actually decides to show up and help up.

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Symphony of the Night, having all of Alucard's dopeness then having Death take it from you. Apparently you can glitch past the Death room and keep all the equipment which is how people speedrun the game for any %. Never done it myself though
    This person, also with a Rick avatar, took the words right out of my brain. I believe this guy's story starts in ovum.

The Magitek armour suits from FFVI also come to mind, as well as Cecil at the start of IV. I forget what item/magic he uses, but it totally dominates for those few airship battles.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I'm currently playing FFVI and the intro in Narshe was lots of fun. I remember thinking "Yeah, I'm gonna kick arse in this game!"

Then I was normal again... then I arrived in Zozo and my dreams were ruined.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Jade and Milla in the Tales series seem absurdly overpowered when you get them that it really puts in perspective how weak you are when you inevitably get them to be more trout a bit later.

Also, Beatrix in FF9 absolutely wrecks in the brief time you have her, even if you catch up to her relatively quickly after that

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Jade and Milla in the Tales series seem absurdly overpowered when you get them that it really puts in perspective how weak you are when you inevitably get them to be more trout a bit later.

Also, Beatrix in FF9 absolutely wrecks in the brief time you have her, even if you catch up to her relatively quickly after that
    Came to say exactly this

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Trails of Cold Steel sorta starts with one, playing a sequence that actually happens far later on in the game and thus has your characters far more powerful than they start out. Also about 60% through the game, when (SPOILER)the main character temporarily uses a power that makes him ridiculously OP at that point, you don't actually permanently get it until halfway through the sequel

Darksiders #1