View Poll Results: Do you think Square-Enix is doing a good job?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are doing brilliantly!

1 2.70%
  • They're doing pretty well

8 21.62%
  • They're doing okay

14 37.84%
  • They're being mediocre

9 24.32%
  • They are absolutely terrible

5 13.51%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Square-Enix is doing a good job?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

RE: Curious, have you checked out WoFF? The battle system is like Pokémon mixed in with the old school FF battle systems.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Sweet. I remember I downloaded the demo/beta some time ago just before it came out but I was so busy at the time I never gave it a try. Sounds good. No excuse not to try it & I'm sure I could get a cheap copy online.

Str8 Pimpin'

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    World of Final Fantasy is them milking nostalgia. SE is incredibly good at milking nostalgia, but I don't feel like that's something that should be praised.
    I disagree. I think every aspect of that game was done excellently
    Even the story and characters, in particular writing and voice acting? I liked the rest of the game well enough and it was a fun, if not spectacular, little romp - but a key part of an FF title for me is the story and characters. It is, without doubt, the most cringeworthy writing I have ever experienced in a game. Yes, worse than FFX-2. I had to put my head in a pillow and scream at one point. Tama's irritating verbal tic is of course well-documented, but Reynn in particular is unlikable, nasty and obnoxious, and Serafie's voice acting was just. What. What the hell was that. The story did become more interesting and better towards the end (you'll know what I'm referring to) to salvage it from awful to okay, but it's a far cry from "excellent".

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    World of Final Fantasy is them milking nostalgia. SE is incredibly good at milking nostalgia, but I don't feel like that's something that should be praised.
    I disagree. I think every aspect of that game was done excellently
    Even the story and characters, in particular writing and voice acting? I liked the rest of the game well enough and it was a fun, if not spectacular, little romp - but a key part of an FF title for me is the story and characters. It is, without doubt, the most cringeworthy writing I have ever experienced in a game. Yes, worse than FFX-2. I had to put my head in a pillow and scream at one point. Tama's irritating verbal tic is of course well-documented, but Reynn in particular is unlikable, nasty and obnoxious, and Serafie's voice acting was just. What. What the hell was that. The story did become more interesting and better towards the end (you'll know what I'm referring to) to salvage it from awful to okay, but it's a far cry from "excellent".
    To be fair, though, replaying all the games recently kind of made me realize that the story and characters of FF were never really that good to begin with. Sure, they have their charm, but there's always the part in every FF where everything just goes crazy, sometimes really stupid, and it's really hard to take them seriously as an adult. And the dialogue is very much cringy, especially in games that never got a proper retranslation (ahem FFVII).

I still love the series and stuff, mostly due to the nostalgia that I have for it and, indeed, for all the charm it has, but really good story and character writing was never really its strong point. It has had its moments, but since experiencing all that for the first time, I've played so many other games that do all of that much better

Articles

Yeah I don't disagree there's some dodgy writing and translations, but the dialogue in WoFF is... something else. It doesn't have that old-fashioned video game dorkiness to fall back on. They're trying to write in quirky and funny ways for kids/teenagers and just failing miserably. I think they wanted WoFF to be something like Adventure Time meets Pokemon/Kingdom Hearts in terms of who they're pitching it at. They missed the point that we all picked up earlier FF titles and kids and they didn't have babyish or dumbed down writing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I have never in my entire life associated amazing story or voice acting with Final Fantasy. Ever. It's horribly full of plot holes and miracles and all that. It has always been this way. Same with dialogue. Didn't feel that WoFF was any bit worse than the other games in any of those regards, particularly when considering it is supposed to be a more 'fun' game than the others. When you add that in, I dare say they did better than any of the other FFs, with perhaps the exception of FFV.

EDIT: Also, I'll happily say that all pre-voice acted games had, in retrospect when playing them, shoddy writing. Not dumbed down? Eh, perhaps not, maybe? But no better than WoFF for me.

Articles

I just want to go on the record and say that I don't associate top notch voice acting with FF either! For me all the best games in the series are text based.

With that said though, I think WoFF had the lowest quality voice acting in the series. Nobody can justify the horror show that was Serafie! And even Tara Strong (Rikku) who is a superb voice actress had an off day in WoFF. She sounds like she has a cold or something. I actually thought they'd changed Rikku's voice actress.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just want to go on the record and say that I don't associate top notch voice acting with FF either! For me all the best games in the series are text based.
    (other than FFXII which has flawless voice acting that other games can only wish they could reach the level of)

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    (other than FFXII which has flawless voice acting that other games can only wish they could reach the level of)
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the voice acting in FF games apart from WoFF has been bad (Troy Baker is love), I'm just saying that it's not what I instantly think of when someone asks me why I like FF, primarily because my very favourite titles have been text based.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

hipster

Articles

I'm not sure that's the word you're looking for. My favourite FF is VII aka the mainstream mega smash hit.

That said, hating on FFVII has become so cool - see the character tournament - that maybe it's trendy to like it now.

With that said though, I think WoFF had the lowest quality voice acting in the series. Nobody can justify the horror show that was Serafie! And even Tara Strong (Rikku) who is a superb voice actress had an off day in WoFF. She sounds like she has a cold or something. I actually thought they'd changed Rikku's voice actress.

You guys are out of your minds. WoFF's voice acting was great. They put a lot of effort getting a large voice cast and tracking down the original actors. Rikku did sound a little off but Im not sure if that was anything more than her actress aging like 16 years.

Serafie was hilarious. Her dry deadpan performance was obviously on purpose.

Ones there take on Mincraft which was already an established IP, and the other is them milking nostalgia. SE is incredibly good at milking nostalgia, but I don't feel like that's something that should be praised.
    There is virtually no reason to automatically disregard taking something that is widely liked and using it again or expanding it as long as the execution itself is not reflected as absolutely forced in the final product. Or in general the "forcing yourself to do that so much that the consumer can feel it". And if you ask me Final Fantasy XV with both the Open World to please those who hated XIII as well as Ardyn with this forced pseudo-cool Kefka nuisance kind of character that had to appear everywhere is one of the only examples where that happens. Final Fantasy XV itself is full of "making use of nostalgia and using it for the respective product" but that does not make everything that comes out of it inherently unenjoyable. As a matter of fact even this open world and Ardyn thing is highly liked by a lot. It is just one of those obvious factors for me and even obvious things would be no problem for me, it is just that such cases for me are so straight in your face that they feel kind of unnatural and with no real other purpose which I hardly ever have with other things.

That being said I liked WoFF a lot more than XV for the mere reason that Final Fantasy first is an enjoyable story to me and while having its dorkiness WoFF had least had a story as well as one that i liked. I like the exaggerated anime foolishness in it way more than oh-hoo-look-at-me,-I-am-Ardyn-I-wear-a-hat-and-am-not-shaved-I-am-such-a-funny-wannabe-Kefka-who-happens-to-have-more-writing-than-a-lot-of-other-FF-villains-yet-fail-to-deliver.

Or as I like to say: You know something is wrong when your final boss is fought next to the bus stop of the royal city.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 08-29-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not sure that's the word you're looking for. My favourite FF is VII aka the mainstream mega smash hit.

That said, hating on FFVII has become so cool - see the character tournament - that maybe it's trendy to like it now.
    It's not cool. it's just the reasonable thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

It's not cool. it's just the reasonable thing to do.
    But you are a beast. What does a beast know.