Thread: Cooking Mistakes

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default Cooking Mistakes

So i'm cooking and then I got to stir my soup and for some reason I splashed! So then I get hot boiling soup on my belly and it hurts and I have a burn gel pad on my tummy now.

So a ) give me pity and b) have you ever made cooking mistakes?

I'm sorry to hear that. Getting burned sucks.

I once screwed up while browning meat, and dropped it while transferring it to a pan of hot oil. Splashed it all over my hands. Hand to stick them in the freezer until we could get aloe, and was still useless for a couple hours after that.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

So when I was young and on summer vacation I was home alone (I was born in 1982 this wasn't unusual back then) and I couldn't quite remember what I did exactly. But, uh, I wanted to make pancakes and I somehow ended up with something that was one side pancake and one side scrambled egg. I ate it anyway. It was actually decent with a bit of syrup. I then hooked up my SNES to the family TV and gamed all day and probably watched an old trilogy Star Wars movie on VHS. Then my parents come home and are annoyed that I didn't do anything. I eventually prove them wrong by living an even more pathetic adult life! If you know the PLANE IS GOING DOWN YOU CRASH IT! YOU CRASH IT INTO A CROWD OF PEOPLE AND MAKE SURE NO ONE SURVIVES YOUR ONSLAUGHT!! THEY HAD IT COMING THEY ALL HAD IT COMING EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!!

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I have burned things (got busy and forgot about pots and pans) and I have caught things on fire. More recently, the BBQ while I stepped away the grease dripped and all the build up inside caught on fire. Most memorably, I burnt my bangs off when making caramel and adding whiskey over an open flame.

My fingers are also covered in scars from working kitchens. Luckily, unlike some of my coworkers, I never got any severe burns on my arms that made any lasting impressions.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean

All I'd need to do is probably just post a photo of my fingers and you'd know that my love for knives is an intensely toxic obsession that I just can't let go of. It kills me, but it also keeps me alive.

Also, I tend to add too much salt which really sucks?

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

I once accidentally made hamburger helper with vanilla rice milk. Haven't been able to eat it since.

I'm just going to say it before Formy gets round to it: I once accidentally cooked a horrendously spicy chilli. It was so spicy that it wasn't just painful to eat the chilli, it was painful to eat the rice that had barely TOUCHED the chilli.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I'm just going to say it before Formy gets round to it: I once accidentally cooked a horrendously spicy chilli. It was so spicy that it wasn't just painful to eat the chilli, it was painful to eat the rice that had barely TOUCHED the chilli.
    Oh trout, I accidentally did this with a crockpot recipe.

All the other chili's were fine. I felt it needed a little bit more heat though so I added in just one more.

smurfign ruined. That thing was so hot you couldn't even eat it. Ruined the whole big pot.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I was in middle school, one of my friends really wanted to make some koolaid. We didn't have regular sugar but he figures powdered sugar would work the same. He discovered that it did not work the same. We also tried to cook stuff on occasion with pans that were way too small for the amount we were cooking. I also think it was his brother who tried to cook a pizza with the cardboard still in the bottom.

I mostly don't have issues cooking myself. Just burn myself sometimes.

I measure wrong. Like, A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    So when I was young and on summer vacation I was home alone (I was born in 1982 this wasn't unusual back then) and I couldn't quite remember what I did exactly. But, uh, I wanted to make pancakes and I somehow ended up with something that was one side pancake and one side scrambled egg. I ate it anyway. It was actually decent with a bit of syrup. I then hooked up my SNES to the family TV and gamed all day and probably watched an old trilogy Star Wars movie on VHS. Then my parents come home and are annoyed that I didn't do anything. I eventually prove them wrong by living an even more pathetic adult life! If you know the PLANE IS GOING DOWN YOU CRASH IT! YOU CRASH IT INTO A CROWD OF PEOPLE AND MAKE SURE NO ONE SURVIVES YOUR ONSLAUGHT!! THEY HAD IT COMING THEY ALL HAD IT COMING EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!!

Blog Entries

Was baking a couple of weeks ago, and I accidentally used salt, instead of sugar, in my velvet cake. It was not a very good cake.

That reminded me that I once used powdered sugar instead of regular and the result was less than desirable. I still ate all 50 or so cookies, but I didn't have to like it.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I got macaroni and cheese to stick to a nonstick pan.

I suppose as with any food you try to make, it just takes time and application to make it well. At least for me. I always have to either adjust the temperature or a few ingredients the next time around.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I made an absurdly salty pie once and mint chocolate cookies that just.... melted in the oven. So sad

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

OH I REMEMBERED ANOTHER ONE. I was making pancakes and thought "oh i'll add some vanilla in with this mixture, it'll be great" Well it wasn't so I was like "oh man that taste weird, maybe more vanilla"

It still tasted weird.

It was mint. I wasn't paying attention and I was putting mint in my pancake batter. It didn't taste good.