Thread: Why do we

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Nom nom nom Why do we

consider cakey things at breakfast to be a meal (waffles, pancakes, crepes, coffee cake, etc)

but we never eat cake and cookies for lunch or dinner (or at least, we don't consider it a proper meal)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I.... I don't know

Blog Entries

Why do we still live... Just to suffer

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

You're onto something. I wouldn't consider cereal to be a proper meal at any time other than breakfast either. I mean, I'll eat it whenever, but unless it's for breakfast it's a snack.

Here in Germany pancakes are totally normal as normal late day-food and not normal as breakfast at all. Eat pancakes, cut leftover pancakes (that do not have anything on them) and eat it as pancake soup.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have on more than one occasion had ice cream or cookies as a lunch or dinner.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    but we never eat cake and cookies for lunch or dinner
    Don't drag me into your normie ways. I eat waffles for dinner and pizza for breakfast.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

It's a weird cultural thing. Can't speak for anyone else, but Americans at least have terrible eating habits. Maybe it has something to do with the sugar rush? A lot of people have trouble waking up, and the sugar is a quick-fix. Also, sugar is cheap. Way more so than the stuff that's actually healthy. Also, cereal and Eggo's are way faster to prep than an omelet, or something substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Youkai View Post
    It's a weird cultural thing. Can't speak for anyone else, but Americans at least have terrible eating habits. Maybe it has something to do with the sugar rush? A lot of people have trouble waking up, and the sugar is a quick-fix. Also, sugar is cheap. Way more so than the stuff that's actually healthy. Also, cereal and Eggo's are way faster to prep than an omelet, or something substantial.
    Think it's something to do with how sugar can give you a ton of energy, the issue is, you are going to crash hard in a few hours time. In the 1950s, American society pushed sugary breakfast's because of the high energy boosts not knowing about the bad after effects. But eating a very full sugary breakfast was seen as healthy so hence the pancakes, scones and OJ.

Some cakes take a bit longer to make so assuming that's why they are not served up with the traditional American breakfast. Though just assuming here; I'm not American and just learnt the sugar thing from a YT documentary at 4am.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, over here eating sweet pancakes, pierogis, dumplings, and tons of other sweet trout for dinner is pretty normal so I don't ask me lol

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Cultural thing. I was watching an episode of mind field about freedom of choice and it opened up with talking about how bacon and eggs is the stereotypical go-to breakfast. When they looked into why that is, it was because a company that made bacon basically paid a bunch of doctors to say that people need to load up on a big meal in the morning to make their life better, and what better way to do that than to load up on some bacon!

So the real answer is marketing combined with time and people just doing it because that's what mom and dad did.

Blog Entries

I will eat pancakes whenever I feel like it. I am shocked. Why would anyone settle? I mean. Pancakes for breakfast only? I can’t even....

Wrap a pancake around a stake and you have the perfect Steak-Pancakey meal. Try it.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Of the European countries I've lived in, pancakes aren't a very breakfast thing - but France inparticular definitely has its own substitutions.

Neither are crepes, heck in France a proper savoury crepe can be an entire meal on it's own, followed by a sweet crepe for dessert.

An afternoon coffee with some form of cake isn't unheard of in France either, likewise Tea & biscuits is traditionally a very afternoon thing in the UK. Breakfasts in Ireland tend to be of the cooked variety (way more so than the English fry-up)

So a cultural thing I guess?