Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Baby Driver .
    Is this the sequel to The Boss Baby?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Oh no, who can save us from all these Superhero movies!?

"FEAR NOT! FOR I - SHYAMALANMAN - AM HERE!"

For real though the only superhero thing I really care about is My Hero Academia and that's mainly because one of the heroes calls herself 'Froppy' and her superpower is she has a long frog-like tongue that can do stuff.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Baby Driver .
    Is this the sequel to The Boss Baby?
    And a prequel to Drive.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I stopped trying to keep up. Especially factoring in all the television shows, Marvel has at least 5 shows on Netflix right now.

If I happen to see the movies somewhere I typically enjoy them, but I don't really go out of my way to see them anymore. There's just too many.

The only superhero film I'm looking forward to right now is Captain Marvel. I'll probably watch Avengers in between for the huge team ups.

Currently caught up with the entire MCU. Im all for it. I just worry Marvel is pushing too many new tv shows at once, seems like self sabotage.

I havent watched any of the DCCU? They can take their greyed out Superman and shove it. God I hate forced "gritty" movies with their freaking grey and brown filters.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

We'll keep getting them while they're still making tons of money. People might well get sick of them eventually but that moment doesn't look like it's coming yet.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Not really, I always see this question as something similar to someone asking things like "are there too many action blockbuster-type movies?" or "are there too many romantic movies?"

They're entertaining enough, people still go to see them, and barring some exceptions and sequels, they're different enough. I mean, Logan and Guardians of the Galaxy probably have more differences than similarities, but they're dumped together anyway so people can go "too many superhero movies"
    Last edited by WarZidane; 09-09-2017 at 12:09 PM.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

There's probably too many out there, but until something new and shiny comes along to catch the attention of everyone, there will continue to be a stream of them. It's like any other phase, whether it be romance, comedy, etc.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Are there too many superhero comics?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I enjoyed GotG2. But that's more because the characters don't feel like 'Superheroes'. Logan was also really great.

I really enjoyed Agent Carter too. The rest I'm just not too bothered by honestly. It's not oversaturated, it's a trend, there are still lots of other movies out too to enjoy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly never even caught on with this fad so can I really say I've had enough of it?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    If I happen to see the movies somewhere I typically enjoy them, but I don't really go out of my way to see them anymore. There's just too many.
    Also,

by too many I mean too many for me to keep up with. I don't think they have to slow down making them, especially because there is a crowd that will go and seem them all. I'm just not in that group, even though I can't really say I saw a superhero movie I disliked.

This actually falls into a bigger problem with movies and entertainment now, the dreaded IP issue.

Far too many movies have become these big IP (Intellectual Property) tentpole, meaning a brand or a franchise that is too big to fail and thus adverse to taking the kind of artistic risks that make something truly memorable for the fear it could flop and cost the studio literally hundreds of millions.

As such, almost all of these movies follow a tried and true formula that combines maximum special effects with minimal risk to the over-arching storyline. Most in fact exist just to set up the next adventure.

The truly original and innovative movies now stand out even more because they are few and far between. And with the amount of money that is thrown around, original ideas are being pushed to the sidelines because they don't have a guaranteed built in box office draw.

Give me a Logan or first 90 minutes of Wonder Woman any day. Something that takes risks and dares to try something new with characters that we might already know and love. Or heaven forbid, come up with an original story and characters and take us on new adventures.

I still believe that Mad Max Fury Road was the best superhero movie I've seen in my lifetime. That's an IP that went completely in a new direction and the results were glorious.

It is an ongoing problem.

Take care all.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

The problem with those standalone IP's is that they don't get enough love, and it makes it harder to make more of them. Look at Jupiter Rising, or anything else in that vein. It was a completely original idea, but no one went and saw it. It's a death spiral that we can't seem to escape at the moment. Maybe in a few years, people will start to trend back to self-contained stories, but it seems for now we're stuck with universes, many that shouldn't be. At least the superhero ones were designed to be inter-operable from the beginning. There are some really strange ones out there now, like the monster one that was Universal was supposed to be putting together.