Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great game, but that awful ending...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unhappy Great game, but that awful ending...

What are some RPGs that you love, but kind of felt like the ending was pretty meh or just plain awful?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The second and third games were more shooters than RPGs but I only recently finished it and I'm still a little sore about it.

Mass Effect 3

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Mass Effect 3

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eternal Sonata

I've always considered FFVII's ending to be extremely weak, even back when I first played the game and was a huge fanboy.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Legend of Dragoon. The entire game was pretty awesome, but the end felt like a horrible cop-out.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Persona 4 comes to mind, I liked the game more or less, but the ending left me a bit bitter. I'll second Legend of Dragoon and Mass Effect 3.

FFTA2 is another, it starts off promising and then the plot just kind of meanders until it decides to end.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This has more to do with the game's balance than its story/ending, but after so many years of listening to Dancing Mad and imagining what the fight must be like, I wish Final Fantasy VI's final dungeon was a lot more difficult. For reference, I replayed FFIV over the summer, and that final dungeon still kicks ass, even after doing all the side content (all three quests, lol)! Ah well, that's what fan hacks and challenge runs are for.

Considering that I'm actually terrible at seeing RPGs all the way through, I can't really contribute to this conversation beyond that. Story-wise I've yet to play an RPG with an ending that failed to deliver. I will say as a non-RPG example, getting to the end of Jak 3 and discovering that (SPOILER)the Precursor's were ottsels all along and they had wavering faith in Jak's abilities and were considering a Plan B caused my eleven year old self to turn the game off and lie awake in bed knowing that the revelation to one of the biggest mysteries of my then-favorite game series was done through a series of cheap gags in one tacked-on cutscene.
    Returners Represent!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Youkai View Post
    Legend of Dragoon. The entire game was pretty awesome, but the end felt like a horrible cop-out.
    This is my favorite game.

What part didn't you like about the end?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Child of Light. You could tell the last act was insanely rushed and dungeons were cut out.

Indigo Prophecy hasnt aged well at all but I was enjoying it fairly well at the time and it just spirals into absolute insanity at the finish line. I found out later that the budget ran out as an explanation for part of the rushed aspect but even if it didnt it still wouldve been terrible.

Final Fantasy 1's ending is so incredibly stupid it's actually kind of charming.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Idk, FFI at least tried to make it a twist at a time when video game stories amounted to "kill bad guy -> congrats u win"

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Mass Effect 3
    This. SOOOOOOOO much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    FFTA2 is another, it starts off promising and then the plot just kind of meanders until it decides to end.
    It wastes way too many missions on tutorials that aren't important, then suddenly slams the entire last 70% of the story into the last three missions.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I mean, the main story is also pretty garbage in general sooooooo
    It is, but it felt like it had some good potential. The problem is, things were just barely getting set up before they rammed the entire story through in one or two cutscenes and skipped to the end.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.