Thread: Battle Animations in RPGs

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Battle Animations in RPGs

The other day I saw Dark Pixel Gaming review FFXII, and they made the note that one of the potential things that made combat less exciting is how plain the attack animations look (21:24). I don't necessarily agree with that notion; if nothing else I think some weapons like the polearms have very flashy animations, at least from a perspective of real world choreography. However, it is an interesting subject, so I ask you: what are some of your favorite animations in RPGs?

I've always been a fan of the glowing orbs that surround Rydia when she summons an Eidolon, and the way it lights her sprite up.

There's also the way Tidus springs into his sword slash after a running start in FFX, as well as every Persona summoning in P4.

Yeah, idk. Just curious to hear what stands out in your mind
    Returners Represent!

Every movement Auron makes is maximum swagdaddy

any battle animations post-FFVI... i always hated how in the earlier FFs the two teams would stand on opposite sides of the screen and just wave their weapons at each other, it's the main reason i played the Phantasy Star series instead of FF back in the day, i liked how the Phantasy Star characters ran up to their targets to attack them making actual physical contact as opposed to FFI-VI... warrior waves sword from across a field, monster passes out from fright, lame...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love the animations in Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. So fluid!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I love battle animations. The different effects for the different magic types in FFIV are very memorable for me. Summon animations have also been a stable for FF. The lack of battle animations is one of the reasons I'm not as big a fan of the early Dragon Quest games as I am of FF.

Xenoblade Chronicles has some cool battle animations for a modern game. Also the Bravely Default series. The problem with FFXIII's battles is that you have to be constantly paying attention to your inputs that you can't enjoy watching the flow of battle.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Once you're used to FFX' Auto-Haste animations you can't go back :0

Love Dark Souls' swing animations. So credible and weighty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I actually have a soft spot for Dragon Quest's presentation of battles (this also applies to the Mother games and GBC Pokemon). The action I create in my imagination is way more dynamic than what the later games can actually present. Probably the Toriyama artwork inspiring my inner Dragon Ball fan. Hell, even as an 8 year old playing Pokemon, my version of what my Feraligator did to his opponents was a lot more visceral and action packed than what Sun and Moon could show.

But that's a different conversation. I never played Phantasy Star Elly, but I HAVE seen the awesome attack animations in the Genesis games.
    Returners Represent!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy VII & X ooze personality but I think Persona 5 has amazingly stylish albeit rather silly animations.