Thread: The reason you played the first game

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I came to the party much later than most, but I was curious to establish a frame of reference for the changes in the series. It's nice to know what the starting point is.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

K-Mart had it on clearance when I was 9 years old and I thought the box cover was cool, and I recalled hearing it mentioned in Game Players magazine.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I was at the rental place and was looking for something to play when I saw it. I already played Mystic Quest and II(IV) so I picked it up. I never made it passed Marsh Cave.

Reason, hm . . . probably because of the box art. I was fairly young and really bad about using game cases to determine what I wanted, though I have to admit it worked out pretty well here.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Final Fantasy came out the year I was born and I never owned an NES, so I actually started out with VII and X. Because of how much I loved those games, I got into a mode where I wanted to play all of them. I still have never played it on the NES or even an emulated version of it, but I did get it in the Origins collection after having already played VII-X. Bought it at my Blockbuster, which had a bunch of used PS games for sale. I kept buying one game at a time every time I had the money.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Initially it was just a rental. Who knows what led me to want to play it? I certainly don't remember. Maybe I wanted another RPG after Dragon Warrior. Maybe I didn't even know it was an RPG and just liked the box art. Either way, I didn't get much past Bikke the pirate. It was very hard too, because I don't think I knew I had to equip stuff (I think I just assumed having it in each character's inventory was equipping it). Also, we didn't really get the one save file thing at first so my brother and I were overwriting the save until we realized that. Later on I completed the game after my love of the series was solidified through later entries. In that case, I was probably more motivated to just finish the game that started the series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I like FF games and I wanted to check out the original. It was alright!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

My GBA was the first game system I ever owned, and FFV was my first game in the franchise. I thought they were all connected to each other so I was quite surprised to find out that IV wasn't a prequel to V but rather it's own separate story. I liked the franchise enough and Dawn of Souls was the obvious next step considering the system I had (bonus points for it being newer than Origins) . Once we got a PS2 I lost interest in my GBA so I never did get around to finishing VI, and instead spent my time on X, XII, and IX. Probably not the recommended play order, but it worked well enough for me at the time.