Thread: Killing off the player character right away

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Killing off the player character right away

Did you know you would lose control of Reks fairly quickly?

I can imagine someone who went into the game blind 11 years ago seeing it as a shock, but people who had a grasp on the story and the artwork might have been less surprised.

On some level the death of Reks is a nice metaphor for the series change of direction. They let you know right away that they're breaking from the norms of the turn-based single player predecessors in a big way.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I knew it because XII is probably the first game the development of which I followed closely. I don't think SE really made a big secret of it.

I already saw who the main characters were. I don't recall if I expected him to die or not, but I knew I wouldn't be playing as him for very long.

I didn't have a clue. I'd read the manual, so I knew who the main characters were, and I got confused when this random guy showed up, but I had no idea he was going to die. It's been over a decade so I don't remember for sure, but I think I thought that Reks was Vaan, like, he would go into hiding and change his name, or lose his memory, or something. I didn't realize he was the brother that the manual mentions until it was explicitly stated. XD

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ganon View Post
    I already saw who the main characters were. I don't recall if I expected him to die or not, but I knew I wouldn't be playing as him for very long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I wasn't sure whether he would live or not (but I think I guessed the mission would end terribly, something in the dialogue tipped me off). I knew he wouldn't be a main character though, even if he does look rather similar to Vaan.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think I remember being confused. Confused in the beginning cause i didn't remember the character's art one the main character thing but I settled in with it and accepted that maybe it was a secret plot character or something and nope he just dies. And THAT confused me.

I knew Vaan was the player character because I played it for the first time recently, but I was still a little confused. I was wondering what would happen to Reks, and who he was.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly can't remember what I first thought. I feel like I either expected him to die or only show up later in the story but not having too much of a role.

Quote Originally Posted by Syssareth View Post
    I think I thought that Reks was Vaan, like, he would go into hiding and change his name, or lose his memory, or something.
    Same! They're VERY similar looking, so I just assumed that Reks was Vaan, and would end up changing his name for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Syssareth View Post
    I think I thought that Reks was Vaan, like, he would go into hiding and change his name, or lose his memory, or something.
    Same! They're VERY similar looking, so I just assumed that Reks was Vaan, and would end up changing his name for some reason.
    He did change his name. To Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca!
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I knew simply because I did a bit of research before the game came out, but I thought it was an interesting twist It's funny how three of the biggest movers of the plot all do so by dying in the game's first twenty minutes.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I KNEW Reks was Vaan's older brother and was going to die before I played the game, but I somehow forgot while playing the tutorial. Made the end of that all the more shocking.
    Returners Represent!