Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The perfect recipe for a Let's Play viewing

  1. #1
    ⎛⎝ High King ⎠⎞‏ Lone Wolf Leonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,815
    Articles
    46
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default The perfect recipe for a Let's Play viewing

    I've found that I've never really watched a Let's Player to sit and watch a game. I leave that for trailers, a few reviews, and my own hands on experience. I tend to watch 3 kinds of streamers:

    -Friends streams because I get a chance to talk with them in the chat and maybe help them in a game if they're stuck.

    -People who have interesting commentary about the gameplay footage, maybe some behind the scenes or making-of type of information.

    -YouTubers I enjoy watching otherwise. Often times these aren't even video game centered channels, but they open up a relaxed environment where they participate in Q&A while playing games as a sort of backdrop.

    The actual watching of the game is the least compelling thing for me, unless I'm feeling nostalgic or doing article research, in which case I'll find an archived Let's Play on YouTube. What do you look for in a Let's Player?

  2. #2
    Yossarian Lives Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    50,843
    Articles
    71

    Default

    I like enthusiasm and passion. It's good to see people having fun and enjoying themselves.

    Not a fan of obvious over reactions, particularly to horror games.

  3. #3
    ⎛⎝ High King ⎠⎞‏ Lone Wolf Leonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,815
    Articles
    46
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Not a fan of obvious over reactions, particularly to horror games.
    This is probably my biggest streamer pet peeve.

    Grown men pretending to be scared of video games that really aren't that bad so they can hyper pander to the audience, particularly the younger audience who won't question why they're being so silly about it.

    These are the people who will have the "OMG face" in their video thumbnails.

  4. #4
    Famine Wolf Cid's Knight Sephex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Solar System
    Posts
    12,076
    Articles
    2
    Blog Entries
    55

    Default

    I typically enjoy things that make me laugh or whatever. There are far too many people who expect casual Let's Play channels to be just as good as the best speedrunners. If I want to watch skilled gameplay I'll watch that. I also like more casual/humor let's plays because I can also easily podcast them since they carry that vibes at times.

    Of course, I am sure someone will tell me that I'm dead wrong and I should only like "pro gamerz" or whatever because everything on the internet is a dick measuring contest.

  5. #5
    Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    My happy place.
    Posts
    5,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I typically enjoy things that make me laugh or whatever. There are far too many people who expect casual Let's Play channels to be just as good as the best speedrunners. If I want to watch skilled gameplay I'll watch that. I also like more casual/humor let's plays because I can also easily podcast them since they carry that vibes at times.

    Of course, I am sure someone will tell me that I'm dead wrong and I should only like "pro gamerz" or whatever because everything on the internet is a dick measuring contest.
    Ur wrong and shuld prolly B ded. U shuld only watch proz, dood. Now witness the girth of my dick!

    I pretty much watch Let's Plays because I'm too lazy to play games nowadays. I like Let's Plays with two people that have a good rapport with each other. A single player with a twitch stream where they can talk to people in chat works well too.

    Beard Bros. (depends, sometimes it's boring)
    Super Best Friends
    Game Grumps
    Brutal Moose
    Super Couch Fighters
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 09-14-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: realized I totally smurfed up how to spell rapport

  6. #6
    Pinkasaurus Rex Cid's Knight Pumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Falling on your head
    Posts
    16,865
    Articles
    119
    Blog Entries
    132

    FFXIV Character

    Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Brutalmoose streams are amazing. He's so chill and relaxed and friendly. The crowd also isn't too big so he remembers a lot of the regulars. It's great for putting on in the background while I study or clean or whatever

  7. #7
    Famine Wolf Cid's Knight Sephex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Solar System
    Posts
    12,076
    Articles
    2
    Blog Entries
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I typically enjoy things that make me laugh or whatever. There are far too many people who expect casual Let's Play channels to be just as good as the best speedrunners. If I want to watch skilled gameplay I'll watch that. I also like more casual/humor let's plays because I can also easily podcast them since they carry that vibes at times.

    Of course, I am sure someone will tell me that I'm dead wrong and I should only like "pro gamerz" or whatever because everything on the internet is a dick measuring contest.
    Ur wrong and shuld prolly B ded. U shuld only watch proz, dood. Now witness the girth of my dick!

    I pretty much watch Let's Plays because I'm too lazy to play games nowadays. I like Let's Plays with two people that have a good rapport with each other. A single player with a twitch stream where they can talk to people in chat works well too.

    Beard Bros. (depends, sometimes it's boring)
    Super Best Friends
    Game Grumps
    Brutal Moose
    Super Couch Fighters
    Nice, I pretty much watch all of these. Though I do like the Game Grumps the best, I will say that there are certain qualities of the Super Beard Bros. I like a lot better. I just think Jirard and Alex bounce off each other expertly.

    Also, yeah, I was in a mood when I wrote my original post. I forgot I did that. I've just seen way too much toxic stuff come out of LP communities, so I am a bit cynical when discussing the subject.

  8. #8
    Edge7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    828
    Articles
    1
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    I have a fondness for Super Best Friends Play, if only because their personalities and interests remind me a lot of the friends I had in High School. Their best videos are usually the ones regarding games they're passionate about and want to share, like the original Nier, or any given Resident Evil game.

    I'm also quite fond of Beard Bros, I watched a ton of their early stuff, but I kinda fell off after a year. I'm enjoying both of their current Sonic playthroughs, so I enjoy them still.
    Returners Represent!

  9. #9

    Default

    There are a lot of exceptions, but my favorite Let's Players, streamers, and other gaming peoples tend to fall into three general groups:

    - People I'm actually watching to watch them be invested in the game they're playing and give honest reactions and opinions, with any additional entertainment coming from their unobtrusive wit (ex: Cryaotic in his solo LPs, TheRPGMinx, Vinesauce)

    - People whom I partially watch for the game but mostly watch for their personalities and entertaining conversations, observations, and reactions (ex: Super Best Friends Play, Many a True Nerd, Cryaotic in his streams, Vinesauce Joel)

    - People who are just screwing around and seeing what happens, whether by modding the game to an almost unplayable state, taking on ridiculous self-imposed challenges for hilarity's sake, or even weaving their own little absurdist narratives (ex: Criken2, BedBananas, Monster Factory, some members of the Yogscast)

  10. #10
    Edge7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    828
    Articles
    1
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Monster Factory is a BLAST
    Returners Represent!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •