Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Horror movies/books/etc

I just saw IT, and it's made me think about how I miss discussing horror stuff with my old college roommates. This is the first horror movie I've watched in a couple of years since I havent had people to watch them with me, and I'm only now getting my fiancé comfortable watching anything horror related outside of The Walking Dead.

Do you guys get scared easily when watching scary movies, reading scary books, or playing scary games? What are some of your favorites?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Used to get scared, but not so much anymore. Silent Hill is definitely my favorite video game horror. As for movies - probably Pan's Labyrinth, though I'm not sure if that really counts. Oddly, I've never read a horror book - need to fix that! I actually even have something by Stephen King, I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Horror has always been a guilty pleasure of mine because it was always a sort of taboo genre for me growing up. I still find it difficult to find people to discuss it with cause we either like different parts of the genre, or they don't like the genre at all.

I've been reading lot of Junji Ito's works lately. I read Uzamaki last year and have been checking out some of his short stories lately. I also read a lot of Creepypasta when I can.

My favorite films are probably Psycho, A Tale of Two Sisters, In the Mouth of Madness, and Jacob's Ladder. I also love fun B-Movie films like Evil Dead or classics like Friday the 13th. I'm not really into zombie or slasher movies though. I prefer psychological horror myself.

I've been trying to get into the game genre but I keep getting distracted by one thing or another. I love Silent Hill and Fatal Frame series, and I still need to get around to finishing some of those games as well as Amnesia the Dark Descent.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only played silent hill when it comes to horror games. I own a couple of fatal frames and really need to play through those someday.

Psychological horror would be my favorite, I'd say. I do really enjoy the likes of Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street to though. I feel like those are pretty fun watches despite not being scary. I'm also a pretty big fan of the old universal monster movies.

I keep meaning to get into reading horror just to see what other people do in that genre. It's probably my favorite genre to write in despite not reading other people's stuff. I even have The Shining and House of Leaves (I feel like I heard that one was horror, but not sure), but I've just never gotten around to reading them.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Games scare me more than Books or movies. Jump scares always get me though.

On movies and books, I don't like overly gorey things. I find that tacky and just used for shock factor. I like psychological ones better. Crime related ones I like a lot too.

As for the games comment, I think I have a bigger issue with them because with a book or movie it's just me reading/watching it happening to someone else. But a game, i'm the one controlling a character so the character is an extension of myself. So anything bad is more likely happening because of me and my choices than someone else. So they bother me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been watching this video series for awhile to get some cool insight into the genre and some of my favorite films/games/books.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think the best horror game is Outlast, with a shoutout to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. They redefined the horror genre at a time it was desperately flagging. I'll also make reference to Five Nights at Freddys. It's beloved of kid and has a stigma to it because of certain YouTubers, but it's actually really panic inducing and overwhelming at times. Until Dawn was another really well done game that I'd recommend too. I agree with Freya that the sense of being in control makes games the best genre for horror. There's some good horror RPG Maker games and as RPGM is my jam I'd like to make a horror one in that someday.

Horror movies don't really do it for me anymore. As a teenager I loved slasher flicks like Scream, I know what you did last summer et al. and I used to be scared of the idea of finding a killer in the house. I would like to find a horror movie scary again! I see a lot of recommendations for things like, say, the Babadook, but when I actually watch them it just doesn't do it for me.

I really enjoy creepypasta and often have narrated videos of it on while I'm going to bed. I guess that's kind of weird that I fall asleep to horror stories but there you are! I like to have a weekly read of reddit's nosleep too as the stuff on there is outstanding. If anyone has any creepypasta or nosleep recommendations I'd love to hear them!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I listened to some of Penpal on the NoSleep podcast, and it seemed pretty good. I think it's in two parts. You should look into that one, Psychotic.

Anyways, I don't find scary movies scary, but I still enjoy them. The only time I get scared anymore is if I'm intentionally going out to scary places like exploring the woods at night after watching or reading or listening to a lot of scary stories.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm actually prepping for what movies I want to watch next month in celebration of Halloween. So far I have:

Session 9
    Jacob's Ladder
    It (80s version with Tim Curry)

and while they are not necessarily scary movies.

Soylent Green
    Solaris (72 Russion version)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still neee to see the 80s IT. Jacobs ladder is also a movie on my list that I actually own but have never watched. I'll probably watch suspiria again this year as I usually watch that. We'll see if I have time while planning my wedding next month. I'll be on a cruise on Halloween itself.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I feel like I'm just old enough to remember a time when horror movies were actually seasonal, and they scheduled the big ones to come out around October. Now they come out all year round, or I'm just older now and I pay attention to it more.

And it's not to say that there are "too many" horror movies, it's just that you kind of have to sift through them a lot more now to find the gems.

I don't know how others felt about them, but I loved the Grave Encounters movies. It felt like found footage done right. Especially the first one.

Grave Encounters is about the crew of a "Ghost Hunters" style show who lock themselves in an abandoned asylum for the night, but they film it in a way where when they aren't "on camera" they acknowledge that ghost hunting is a bunch of bulltrout and they're just doing it for the publicity. It was refreshing to see a movie take that angle.

So no one believes the hype. Well, you know. Until they start dying. Some would say, "why don't they just leave when it gets scary?". Well, because (SPOILER)When they go to unlock the exit door, they open it up, and it's just another hallway inside the building. It's trippy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Session 9
    I loved this one. Underrated in my opinion, but I'm a pretty big fan of movies with abandoned asylums. There's an extra chill factor to it when one of the guys finds old audio reels of the experiments that used to go on there, gives you a sense of history of the building.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I was made to go see IT tonight and it was terrifying.

I don't like watching scary films with scary monsters. Reality scary doesn't bug me as much. I guess cause I understand there are horrible troutty people. But monsters? Monsters you can't rationalize. They're just evil.

I have really vivid dreams that are coherent in plots. I usually am influenced by what I watch or talk about and it manifests as crazy stories in my dreams. I'm probably going to have nightmares about that demon thing.

Ugh.

This is why I don't watch scary movies.